The Save Route Tool can be used to plot a series of connecting markers representing a route. You can then save this route as a file to recall and edit later. This is useful because you can then come back to edit a route, or share it with others.
Note : This tool currently works to an extent although the format of the xml file will be changing whilst this tool is in Beta. In other words a file you save today may not be loaded an understood correctly tomorrow. I will try to stabilise this as soon as possible.
Save Your Route
Search For Location :
|Total Distance miles km|
Load An XML File
Navigate to an xml file saved on your computer and then click Load to load it into the map above. Note: The file must end in .xml and be of a format supported by this tool.
Please note : This tool has limited functionality at the current time.
Known Issues / Future Plans
- The saved file will not remember the status of the map view (Map / Satellite / Hybrid)
- Once a route is loaded, it is only possible to edit the last marker i.e. add or remove it. It should be possible to move or remove all markers
- The ability to leave comments on each / any marker
- The ability to plot more than one route on the same map
- The ability to leave comments at a point not on a route
- Allow user to choose from various marker styles to signify different points.
If you have any suggestions or feedback, then please contact us.
- 12th January - Updated to Google Maps API V3
- 3rd July 2007 - You can now save and load xml files containing your route - but there are bugs
- 23rd June 2007 - Page Created (no functionality)
Previous Comments For This Page
Have just today created a map, saved it as XML and now when I load it I see nothing on the map!
Detour road works for Lockerbie Manor Hotel
By Simon Sweeney on 03/03/2013
Planlagt rejse med 65-rejser i september 2013
By Knud Casper on 02/03/2013
Western Europe on a shoestring!!
By Akhil on 07/07/2012
bossier and haughton
By caroline goetz on 05/06/2012
How do I save on ipad2 because i dont have a mouse and therefore no right click available?
this woulld be a great app for travelling
By chris on 21/04/2012
Updated to Google Maps API V3. Other bugs fixed.
By Free Map Tools on 12/01/2012
Pity the distance is wrong - shows 488.135 km for a route about 6.5 km long - shame as it's easy to plot a route.
By GmA on 11/01/2012
Is there any way to get rid of the blue markers and just leave the red line. Wishful thinking, but it would be nice if red line followed the main roads
Absoutly rubbish the distance is completely wrong, what a waste of time!!
I can't save my map, could u help me please
whack, and not in a good way
Very cool, using it to plot geneology movements of ancestors. Thanks
By GMB on 25/09/2009
The distance calculation is wrong. Kindly check
By Prasanna Vignesh R on 02/09/2009
The calculated distance seems to be way off and varies for the same route when you vary the number of markers used.
Can we get the source code .Kindly make it available to this email id
By Harish nath on 29/03/2009
By Daniel Berry on 08/11/2008
Seattle to Australia PacCruise 2008
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: