Radius Around Point
You can use this tool to find the radius around a point on the map. First type in the radius required in kilometers or miles and then click on the map at the center of where you wish the circle to appear. You can then create as many radii as you wish.
Radius Around Point Map
- Type in a radius required in the text box above.
- [Zoom and Pan to find the required area on the map then click on the map to draw a circle] OR [Type a location into the text box and click Draw Radius] OR [Input the latitude and longitude of the location in decimal format].
- Click as many times as necessary to draw multiple circles.
- You can use the [Clear Map] button to erase all markers and radii and start again.
Use the "URL to last radius" text box to find a URL that will show the most recent radius on this page when opened in a web browser. This URL can be sent to anyone if you wish to forward it on.
Google Earth KML Output
You can now export all the drawn radii on the map to Google Earth for improved display and printing. You must have Google Earth installed (or another application capable of importing KML files). You need to have a radius displayed on the map before the output will work. Please report any bugs.
The procedure to Export to KML is as follows:
- Draw one or more radii on the map as you see fit
- Once ready, click the [Generate KML] button. You will probably need to scroll down the page to find this!
- After a short delay, a blue hyperlink will appear below the button that reads [Download KML File Here]
- Click the hyperlink to download the KML file to your local machine
- You can then open the KML file in application such as Google Earth
Currently, the KML will include:
- The same radius size and shape
- Transparency of 50%
It will not include:
- Shading colour (blue only, but you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
- Line colour (you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
- Line thickness (you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
These features may be added later depending on feedback.
The CSV option allows you to upload bulk points to the map. To do this you must format your points using the convention of latitude,longitude,radius per line where latitude and longitude are in decimal format and radius in km. Make sure to strip out any whitespace. You can upload as many lines as you wish, however more lines will take more time and every web browser will have its limits on the maximum number of lines (hence circles drawn) before things slow to a halt.
..should add two radii around the Olympic stadium in London for 10km and 15km
- Ability to input nautical miles
- URL link includes settings to show/hide the radius centre marker and resize grip
- 2nd March 2017 - KML output now includes fill and line colours for each radius
- 2nd November 2016 - New CSV Output panel displays parameters of all radius drawn
- 31st October 2016 - New button to draw radius at current location
- 19th August 2016 - Bug fix : URL for multiple radius didn’t appear when only drawing radius by place name
- 21st July 2016 - URL is now available for all radius drawn
- 25th February 2016 - URL now contains information about the map type so you can load the radius with different map types
- 4th May 2015 - Update to allow a resize after using method 2 or 3 to recalculate the Radius Distance
- 7th May 2013 - 2 new options added : URL loads full screen? AND URL loads unclickable map?
- 13th January 2013 - Label on marker now displays radius. You can now annotate markers.
- 15th February 2012 - Updates to layout of options
- 8th January 2012 - Added search for location text box
- 7th January 2012 - Resolved issue where the specified fill colour was not used if the draw by address or latitude/longitude was used
- 22nd December 2011 - Added full screen option. Fixed issue when dragging the centre point of a smaller radius
- 15th September 2011 - Added option to upload CSV text for bulk upload of multiple points
- 13th June 2011 - Fixed issue with clear fill having the same colour as the previously selected colour
- 7th June 2011 - Option to hide the resize grip
- 3rd June 2011 - Radii can now be resized while onscreen
- 23rd May 2011 - Radii can now be clicked to be drawn inside an existing radius
- 10th May 2011 - Static map output now uses Google Static Maps API V2. No key required. Will not output an URL > 2048 characters
- 9th May 2011 - Fixed issue with clear fill having a grey shade
- 15th April 2011 - Allow the last radius to be deleted (not just all at once)
- 3rd February 2011 - Export to KML now copes with multiple radii
- 20th January 2011 - Circumference and area now also output in miles and acres
- 29th December 2010 - Click on a marker to delete it
- 29th December 2010 - Allow markers to be dragged
- 29th December 2010 - Converted to Google Maps API V3
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 27th January 2010 - Added Google Earth KML Output
- 13th October 2009 - Overlapping radii now supported
- 29th September 2009 - Added Google Search Bar to map. Added radius display on marker when you hover over the marker
- 24th September 2009 - Added URL to last radius function
- 17th September 2009 - Added Google Maps Static API Image Output
- 3rd January 2009 - Added latitude and longitude input option
- 29th September 2008 - Added clear fill option
- 9th September 2008 - Added Place radius by location name option and reworked some other functions
- 21st January 2008 - Improved circle reliability and added fill colour
- 15th October 2007 - Added area and circumference output
- 25th September 2007 - Added different colour's, change thickness, show/hide center marker, change map height and print the page
- 13th September 2007 - Now works with IE
- 22nd July 2008 - Added option to use miles as radius input
- 30th June 2007 - Clear Map button added
- 29th June 2007 - Page created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
Hi Ken, this page has some measurement data such as circumference and area found in the Output section. The Area Calculator doesn't load circles as it expects to load polygons instead.
By Free Map Tools on 20th March 2017
Hi, what radius were you expecting and what radius did you get ?
By Free Map Tools on 20th March 2017
clicking on the map gives me the wrong radius
On 19th March 2017
Can I measure an area on this map within a circle described by radius around a point?
By Ken on 17th March 2017
would like to become a contractor
By lee on 14th March 2017
Great tool, I just found out that I can rehears with my Band mates with my Jamlink within 450 miles radius. this is preety huge!!
On 13th March 2017
Brum, you can make the fill colour clear by expanding [Colours and Line Thickness] and choosing the clear fill colour.
By Free Map Tools on 13th March 2017
Absolutely useless. I tried using it but the map area turned green, so I couldn't see the detail.
By Brum. on 10th March 2017
Sounds great- where in the world is the download? I've looked all over your website
On 2nd March 2017
This is pretty nice trying to find where I can go in a 50 mile radius from my location. I think this is great and deserves much more attention then its getting right now 5/5 stars!!!!!
On 1st March 2017
Useful to find a place to live. I have some key locations and how far I want to be from those points. Draw circles and I want to live where all the circles intersect. I export the KML to Google Earth for the fine tuning.
One suggestion - It would be useful to have the Line and Shading controls open all the time. Clicking to unhide the controls was not obvious to me.
By Mark L on 28th February 2017
Just stop already
On 27th February 2017
We are starting a small business and wanted to see exactly what it would mean if we said "30 mile radius" and now we can actually SHOW people what we mean visually.
By Adam on 25th February 2017
i want to know what villages are within a radius and have them come up on a list
On 24th February 2017
Good luck finding the drone! There is a Full Screen option if you expand the [Map Options] section.
By Free Map Tools on 20th February 2017
Helpful tool. Drone had a fly away into, according to this tool from the 2 points I got signal after I lost it, a heavily forested area. Good to know a rough place to look :).
Would be nice to full screen the map though.
On 19th February 2017
Dotip, please have a look at Find ZIP Codes Inside a Radius.
By Free Map Tools on 6th February 2017
Does anyone knows how to make layers but specifically only for zip codes? It needs to be as a shape and size of area/neighborhood
By Dotip on 6th February 2017
On 4th February 2017
Awesome features. Easy to use... I am no techno, accomplished my search without a problem. Thanks!
By CA Grant on 26th January 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1711 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: