Radius Around Point
You can use this tool to find the radius around a point on the map. First type in the radius required in kilometers or miles and then click on the map at the center of where you wish the circle to appear. You can then create as many radii as you wish.
Radius Around Point Map
- Type in a radius required in the text box above.
- [Zoom and Pan to find the required area on the map then click on the map to draw a circle] OR [Type a location into the text box and click Draw Radius] OR [Input the latitude and longitude of the location in decimal format].
- Click as many times as necessary to draw multiple circles.
- You can use the [Clear Map] button to erase all markers and radii and start again.
Use the "URL to last radius" text box to find a URL that will show the most recent radius on this page when opened in a web browser. This URL can be sent to anyone if you wish to forward it on.
Google Earth KML Output
You can now export all the drawn radii on the map to Google Earth for improved display and printing. You must have Google Earth installed (or another application capable of importing KML files). You need to have a radius displayed on the map before the output will work. Please report any bugs.
The procedure to Export to KML is as follows:
- Draw one or more radii on the map as you see fit
- Once ready, click the [Generate KML] button. You will probably need to scroll down the page to find this!
- After a short delay, the KML file with download
- You can then open the KML file in application such as Google Earth
Currently, the KML will include:
- The same radius size and shape
- Transparency of 50%
It will not include:
- Shading colour (blue only, but you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
- Line colour (you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
- Line thickness (you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
These features may be added later depending on feedback.
The CSV option allows you to upload bulk points to the map. To do this you must format your points using the convention of latitude,longitude,radius per line where latitude and longitude are in decimal format and radius in km. Make sure to strip out any whitespace. You can upload as many lines as you wish, however more lines will take more time and every web browser will have its limits on the maximum number of lines (hence circles drawn) before things slow to a halt.
..should add two radii around the Olympic stadium in London for 10km and 15km
- Ability to input nautical miles
- URL link includes settings to show/hide the radius centre marker and resize grip
- URL link to include the data for multiple radius
- 18th February 2018 - User settings are stored between settings. Radius, map type, fill color, line color and line thickness
- 11th October 2017 - KML output now includes the label (if defined) for each radius
- 2nd March 2017 - KML output now includes fill and line colours for each radius
- 2nd November 2016 - New CSV Output panel displays parameters of all radius drawn
- 31st October 2016 - New button to draw radius at current location
- 19th August 2016 - Bug fix : URL for multiple radius didn’t appear when only drawing radius by place name
- 21st July 2016 - URL is now available for all radius drawn
- 25th February 2016 - URL now contains information about the map type so you can load the radius with different map types
- 4th May 2015 - Update to allow a resize after using method 2 or 3 to recalculate the Radius Distance
- 7th May 2013 - 2 new options added : URL loads full screen? AND URL loads unclickable map?
- 13th January 2013 - Label on marker now displays radius. You can now annotate markers.
- 15th February 2012 - Updates to layout of options
- 8th January 2012 - Added search for location text box
- 7th January 2012 - Resolved issue where the specified fill colour was not used if the draw by address or latitude/longitude was used
- 22nd December 2011 - Added full screen option. Fixed issue when dragging the centre point of a smaller radius
- 15th September 2011 - Added option to upload CSV text for bulk upload of multiple points
- 13th June 2011 - Fixed issue with clear fill having the same colour as the previously selected colour
- 7th June 2011 - Option to hide the resize grip
- 3rd June 2011 - Radii can now be resized while onscreen
- 23rd May 2011 - Radii can now be clicked to be drawn inside an existing radius
- 10th May 2011 - Static map output now uses Google Static Maps API V2. No key required. Will not output an URL > 2048 characters
- 9th May 2011 - Fixed issue with clear fill having a grey shade
- 15th April 2011 - Allow the last radius to be deleted (not just all at once)
- 3rd February 2011 - Export to KML now copes with multiple radii
- 20th January 2011 - Circumference and area now also output in miles and acres
- 29th December 2010 - Click on a marker to delete it
- 29th December 2010 - Allow markers to be dragged
- 29th December 2010 - Converted to Google Maps API V3
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 27th January 2010 - Added Google Earth KML Output
- 13th October 2009 - Overlapping radii now supported
- 29th September 2009 - Added Google Search Bar to map. Added radius display on marker when you hover over the marker
- 24th September 2009 - Added URL to last radius function
- 17th September 2009 - Added Google Maps Static API Image Output
- 3rd January 2009 - Added latitude and longitude input option
- 29th September 2008 - Added clear fill option
- 9th September 2008 - Added Place radius by location name option and reworked some other functions
- 21st January 2008 - Improved circle reliability and added fill colour
- 15th October 2007 - Added area and circumference output
- 25th September 2007 - Added different colour's, change thickness, show/hide center marker, change map height and print the page
- 13th September 2007 - Now works with IE
- 22nd July 2008 - Added option to use miles as radius input
- 30th June 2007 - Clear Map button added
- 29th June 2007 - Page created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
Really useful, thank you.
On 19th June 2018
I wished to set the transparency of the circles myself, and not always having 50%, and being able to disable the outline too. I would also like to see a list of all active circles added, and changing the values directly on that list, or even deleting specific circles from that list and have it update on the map. By clicking on a circle on the list, it will go to that circle, and by hovering, it will highlight that circle. I'd also like if the centre handle was a dot to grab in the middle of the cirle instead, so having the option for marker/dot/none would be nice. It would also be great if the handle and radius-resizer was disabled/enabled for all circles and not just the newly created ones, so we can add all, then disable these two and just view the map.
By Liggliluff on 18th June 2018
Teresa, if you expand [Map Options] then click [Clear Map], that should do the trick.
By Free Map Tools on 16th June 2018
Can't remove the last radius I set up. It's still on there even though I've tried to re set it up and re clear. How do I get rid?
By Teresa on 16th June 2018
Tyler, have a look at : How Far Can I Travel.
By Free Map Tools on 13th June 2018
Great tool, BUT...I'd like to print the map for our radius drivers...how to print????? Not having a fun time
By Dea on 13th June 2018
I guess you can just place another point and drag the circle radius to your current location but that's only for a straight shot path.
By Tyler Tucker on 12th June 2018
What are your thoughts on calculating the time it would take to drive/walk to locations the user specifies within the area of the circle?
By Tyler on 12th June 2018
Hi Buddy, this is not currently possible but we will look in to it.
By Free Map Tools on 11th June 2018
Can you allow us to include a name on the circle itself. Thanks for your useful program!
By Buddy on 11th June 2018
Could use an option to make state lines more visible
On 8th June 2018
Unable to see radius map with 3 digit US zip codes. not area codes but destination beginning 3 digit zips for inclusiveness
By Tim on 7th June 2018
Many thanks, it is helpful to determine the radius zone based on the address for the new system of student acceptance at my school
By Riyan Maulana on 6th June 2018
i have lat and long i need radius for each
By Mahesh on 6th June 2018
Would be great if.... it actually showed a map instead of a load of writing!
On 31st May 2018
quick and good for missile ranges in alternate history projects
By benny on 30th May 2018
On 26th May 2018
this sucks I just want to easily see what is x km from my location wow
By nope on 25th May 2018
On 25th May 2018
OrignalPost - All I wanted was to print a map with a 50 mile radius around my house. What I got was no map but every page of this site. NOT user friendly!!
On 21st March 2018
This is one that I refer to as a "PICNIC" fault.
Problem In Chair, Not In Computer"
this is one of the best free mapping tools available online, easy to use, flexible, reliable. What more could you ask for? fantastic effort, thank you.
Ignore the posts from people that should not be allowed out unsupervised.
On 23rd May 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1929 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: