Radius Around Point
You can use this tool to find the radius around a point on the map. First type in the radius required in kilometers or miles and then click on the map at the center of where you wish the circle to appear. You can then create as many radii as you wish.
Radius Around Point Map
- Type in a radius required in the text box above.
- [Zoom and Pan to find the required area on the map then click on the map to draw a circle] OR [Type a location into the text box and click Draw Radius] OR [Input the latitude and longitude of the location in decimal format].
- Click as many times as necessary to draw multiple circles.
- You can use the [Clear Map] button to erase all markers and radii and start again.
Use the "URL to last radius" text box to find a URL that will show the most recent radius on this page when opened in a web browser. This URL can be sent to anyone if you wish to forward it on.
Google Earth KML Output
You can now export all the drawn radii on the map to Google Earth for improved display and printing. You must have Google Earth installed (or another application capable of importing KML files). You need to have a radius displayed on the map before the output will work. Please report any bugs.
The procedure to Export to KML is as follows:
- Draw one or more radii on the map as you see fit
- Once ready, click the [Generate KML] button. You will probably need to scroll down the page to find this!
- After a short delay, the KML file with download
- You can then open the KML file in application such as Google Earth
Currently, the KML will include:
- The same radius size and shape
- Transparency of 50%
It will not include:
- Shading colour (blue only, but you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
- Line colour (you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
- Line thickness (you can change this once it is loaded into Google Earth)
These features may be added later depending on feedback.
The CSV option allows you to upload bulk points to the map. To do this you must format your points using the convention of latitude,longitude,radius per line where latitude and longitude are in decimal format and radius in km. Make sure to strip out any whitespace. You can upload as many lines as you wish, however more lines will take more time and every web browser will have its limits on the maximum number of lines (hence circles drawn) before things slow to a halt.
..should add two radii around the Olympic stadium in London for 10km and 15km
- Ability to input nautical miles
- URL link includes settings to show/hide the radius centre marker and resize grip
- URL link to include the data for multiple radius
- 11th October 2017 - KML output now includes the label (if defined) for each radius
- 2nd March 2017 - KML output now includes fill and line colours for each radius
- 2nd November 2016 - New CSV Output panel displays parameters of all radius drawn
- 31st October 2016 - New button to draw radius at current location
- 19th August 2016 - Bug fix : URL for multiple radius didn’t appear when only drawing radius by place name
- 21st July 2016 - URL is now available for all radius drawn
- 25th February 2016 - URL now contains information about the map type so you can load the radius with different map types
- 4th May 2015 - Update to allow a resize after using method 2 or 3 to recalculate the Radius Distance
- 7th May 2013 - 2 new options added : URL loads full screen? AND URL loads unclickable map?
- 13th January 2013 - Label on marker now displays radius. You can now annotate markers.
- 15th February 2012 - Updates to layout of options
- 8th January 2012 - Added search for location text box
- 7th January 2012 - Resolved issue where the specified fill colour was not used if the draw by address or latitude/longitude was used
- 22nd December 2011 - Added full screen option. Fixed issue when dragging the centre point of a smaller radius
- 15th September 2011 - Added option to upload CSV text for bulk upload of multiple points
- 13th June 2011 - Fixed issue with clear fill having the same colour as the previously selected colour
- 7th June 2011 - Option to hide the resize grip
- 3rd June 2011 - Radii can now be resized while onscreen
- 23rd May 2011 - Radii can now be clicked to be drawn inside an existing radius
- 10th May 2011 - Static map output now uses Google Static Maps API V2. No key required. Will not output an URL > 2048 characters
- 9th May 2011 - Fixed issue with clear fill having a grey shade
- 15th April 2011 - Allow the last radius to be deleted (not just all at once)
- 3rd February 2011 - Export to KML now copes with multiple radii
- 20th January 2011 - Circumference and area now also output in miles and acres
- 29th December 2010 - Click on a marker to delete it
- 29th December 2010 - Allow markers to be dragged
- 29th December 2010 - Converted to Google Maps API V3
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 27th January 2010 - Added Google Earth KML Output
- 13th October 2009 - Overlapping radii now supported
- 29th September 2009 - Added Google Search Bar to map. Added radius display on marker when you hover over the marker
- 24th September 2009 - Added URL to last radius function
- 17th September 2009 - Added Google Maps Static API Image Output
- 3rd January 2009 - Added latitude and longitude input option
- 29th September 2008 - Added clear fill option
- 9th September 2008 - Added Place radius by location name option and reworked some other functions
- 21st January 2008 - Improved circle reliability and added fill colour
- 15th October 2007 - Added area and circumference output
- 25th September 2007 - Added different colour's, change thickness, show/hide center marker, change map height and print the page
- 13th September 2007 - Now works with IE
- 22nd July 2008 - Added option to use miles as radius input
- 30th June 2007 - Clear Map button added
- 29th June 2007 - Page created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
Bradley, you can select different radius colours if you expand the section labeled Colours and Line Thickness.
By Free Map Tools on 2nd January 2018
Hi Dennis, thanks for the feedback. We will take this on board.
By Free Map Tools on 2nd January 2018
Adding to my last comment ... two reasons why I want to reduce the size the marker: to still have a middle marker of each circle, but much less obtrusive, but currently, it's required for you to have one to delete a circle.
By Dennis Fluttershy on 1st January 2018
This is a useful tool, but a little cumbersome sometimes.
The biggest feature needed is to reduce (or increase) the transparency of the circles, and option to choose a custom colour. %u2013 Then an option to override all circles with the new settings (if you want to update all old circles).
It would also be great if we could turn the middle marker into a small dot (not hiding it completely).
By Dennis Fluttershy on 31st December 2017
Hi this is a great piece of kit you have here.
Is there any way of changing the colour of the radius?
I like comparing the different distances planes can travel and it would be even better if I could choose which colour for each type of radius (plane) I use, making a comparison even easier on the same map.
Once again thank you for this really easy to use tool.
By Bradley on 31st December 2017
Hi Ben, sorry this doesn't look possible.
By Free Map Tools on 30th December 2017
Is there a way I can merge 3 overlapping circles into one shape, or have their color fill not stack on top of the circle's color fill below it?
By Ben on 28th December 2017
how do you print the map??
On 20th December 2017
By Free Map Tools on 13th December 2017
If I draw a radius, does this export all the postal codes in that radius? If yes, how is this done?
On 13th December 2017
Great tool - any way to print out the cities/towns within the radius?
On 13th December 2017
How do I find ZIP codes on a radius map that I already set-up without having to re-enter the info again for the radius map?
By Alvin on 7th December 2017
There is a Clear Map button if you expand the [Map Options]
By Free Map Tools on 4th December 2017
Need a Clear button or reset, so I can do another radius.
On 4th December 2017
Where is the map?I don't see a map.
By Patricia Lawler on 28th November 2017
100 Air Mile Radius of Edlin Bros. Inc. @ 1637 Lyons Station Rd, New Haven, Ky. 40051
By John T Skaggs III on 27th November 2017
thanks for creating these tools. they are helpful. How about an area code search with a zip code overlay? too much? :-)
By PK$ on 26th November 2017
Jenn, a Map Layers section has been added to allow you to do this.
By Free Map Tools on 13th November 2017
I LOVE this tool. I'm not that tech savvy...wondering if it's possible to be able to include boundaries of counties (I'm in the US)?
By Jenn on 12th November 2017
Nice tool! Congrats
By Rudy (from Belgium) on 11th November 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1862 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: