Download UK Postcodes with Latitude and Longitude
Download a list of UK out code postcodes with their latitude and longitude coordinates.
The UK postal system uses postcodes to help with automating the sorting and delivery of mail. This is made up of a 2-part code, an out code and an in code. As the out code is the most significant part of the system, it can be used to obtain a rough area level break up of the UK. There are approximately 2971 out codes and approximately 1762460 full postcodes (out code + in code).
The uses of these out codes and lat/long values include mapping applications such as:
- Rough distance calculation
- Plot the rough location of a postcode on a map
- Simple postcode validation for input forms
Current List : 2973 Outcode Postcodes
Total Possible : 2971 Outcode Postcodes
Number of missing outcode postcodes : 0
Full UK Postcode Current List : 1703531 Postcodes
Non Geographic Postcodes
AB99, BT58, CA99, CM92, CM98, CR44, CR90, GIR, IM99, IV99, JE5, M61, ME99, N1C, N81, NR99, NW26, PA80, PE99, RH77, SL60, SO97, SW95, SY99, WD99, WF90
Full UK Postcode Latitude Longitude Download
- MSSQL ukpostcodesmssql.zip (31MB zipped, 234MB unzipped)
- Uses a table called [postcodelatlng]
- Script to create table ukpostcodes_tablemssql.sql (1 KB)
- MySQL ukpostcodesmysql.zip (35MB zipped, 219MB unzipped)
- Uses a table called postcodelatlng
- Script to create table ukpostcodes_tablemysql.sql (1 KB)
- CSV ukpostcodes.zip (32MB zipped, 89MB unzipped)
- Header is in the first row : id,postcode,latitude,longitude
Contains Ordnance Survey data © Crown copyright and database right 2013
Contains Royal Mail data © Royal Mail copyright and database right 2013
Contains National Statistics data © Crown copyright and database right 2013
- MySQL UK post code table with corresponding longitude and latitude
- Calculating the distance between a set of postcodes and ranking them in order
- New update engine in place. Now provides MS SQL and MySQL script
- 5th March 2015 - Added B37 7FP
- 16th July 2014 - Added BB12 7BF
- 9th February 2014 - Added S1 4DE
- 9th February 2014 - Updated Full postcode list. 222 duplicates removed
- 9th February 2014 - Updated Outcode data. SQL script is for MSSQL
- 20th Janruary 2014 - Removed 2 rows of incorrect data. Rows 1699835 and 1699836
- 11th September 2013 - Removed Duplicte BD98 And M60
- 1st August 2013 - Added full postcode list CSV and SQL (SQL insert) format with 1703751 rows
- 15th September 2011 - Added E20 (Olympic Park Postcodes)
- 23rd February 2011 - Added AB24, B99, BB94, BD97, BD98, BD98, BD99, BL11, BL78, BN50, BN51, BN52, BN88, BN99, BS80, BS98, CA95, CF30, CF91, CF95, CF99, CH25, CH26, CH27, CH28, CH29, CH30, CH31, CH32, CH33, CH34, CH70, CH88, CH99, CM77, CM99, CR9, CT50, CW98, DE99, DH97, DH98, DH99, DN55, E77, E98, EC1P, EC2P, EC4P, EC50, EH91, EH95, EH99, FY0, G58, G70, G75, G79, G9, G90, GU95, IP98, KY99, L67, L68, L71, L72, L73, L74, L75, LE19, LE21, LE41, LE55, LE87, LE94, LE95, LS88, LS98, LS99, M50, M60, M99, MK77, N1P, NE82, NE83, NE85, NE88, NE92, NE98, NG70, NG80, NG90, NW1W, OL95, PL95, PR0, PR11, S49, S96, S97, S98, S99, SA80, SA99, SE1P, SL95, SN38, SN99, SS22, SS99, ST55, SW99, TR93, UB18, W1A, WA55, WA88, WR78, WR99, YO90, YO91
- 27th June 2009 - Added NR7
- 22nd October 2008 - Added some Isle of Man and Jersey Postcodes. XLS format is no longer provided.
- 24th August 2008 - Added some new postcodes
- 1st July 2008 - Added List Status
- 10th June 2008 - Added SQL, CSV and XLS formats each with 2821 rows
Previous Comments For This Page
NS, IM2 should now be correct
By Free Map Tools on 21/04/2015
Thanks for a great resource :)
Outcode IM2 has a coordinate in the sea off the coast of the Isle of Man.
By NS on 17/04/2015
Hi Craig, anyone can use the data, however please see the Disclaimer.
By Free Map Tools on 30/03/2015
Can we use these postcodes for the public sector?
By Craig on 28/03/2015
B37 7FP has now been added
By Free Map Tools on 05/03/2015
Please add missing post code B37 7FP 52.461656, -1.742889
Hi all - Many thanks for this. Would anyone know where we could possibly get a free dataset for all the Northern Ireland Postcodes (BT) and their X / Y or Long/ Lat and Northings values? Many thanks
By Lenvdb on 17/02/2015
Hi, you could try VIM .
By Free Map Tools on 31/01/2015
I am downloading the Full UK postcode with Lat and Long but when I go to open the csv file it says there are too many rows to open correctly. I have tried opening in Access, but Access wont open a csv file and if I rename the csv file to xls then it corrupts it. Any advice re how I download and open this csv file?
I am sachin and i am PHP developer.now i am doing work on vehicle tracking but please guide me how i can insert latitude and longitude into database from GPS device
By sachin minhas on 29/01/2015
Reddy, http://what3words.com/ is a solution to this that is worth looking at.
By Free Map Tools on 07/01/2015
Steve, the duplicates have now been removed. Thanks.
By Free Map Tools on 07/01/2015
May be, am asking a dumb question!!! Does any country implemeted their post/zip/pin codes based on the GPS coordinates? We have a small project looking to make a meanigful Postcode for an Indian village - keeping in mind the below
Can we really do this? Mt brain is very small and not able to think too wide to see how we can give meanigful postcode through GPS coordinates?
By Reddy on 07/01/2015
You have duplicates but create resource thx
By Steve on 01/01/2015
What a fantastic resource!
By Oli on 28/12/2014
Tony, these have also been updated.
By Free Map Tools on 15/12/2014
The following postcodes still contain a 'O' rather than a '0': SW4 OAN, M3 OFP & LS11 ODN
By Tony on 14/12/2014
If it helps anyone, I have a mysql database of all postcodes and their associated addresses... couple of years old now but useful nonetheless. I originally got it for a program I wrote.
If anyone wants it to combine with the downloads from here... then let me know
By Chris: firstname.lastname@example.org on 20/11/2014
Thanks for the prompt response. Great site BTW.
By Tony on 08/11/2014
Tony, thanks for the feedback. This should now be corrected.
By Free Map Tools on 08/11/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 149 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: