How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between New York, Usa and London, England
- How Far is it Between Manchester, England and Tokyo, Japan
- How Far is it Between San Francisco, Usa and Los Angeles California, Usa
- How Far is it Between Rome, Italy and Glasgow, Scotland
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
Wonderful, easy to use tool. Answer to above inquiry re how to get a crow to take them: lure one in with unsalted peanuts, wait until its comfortably eating (usually by 2nd nut), then loop your magic lasso around their neck, cast your self-shrinking spell, and hop on. Spurs are not necessary; just be sure to bring more peanuts to leave as payment when you land. . . signed Harry Potter ;-p
By Kim, Oregon, USA on 30/03/2015
By Maqsood on 30/03/2015
Found this site very useful and quite accurate too, most mistakes seem to be from bad information input not the site. Cheers
By M. Andrews on 29/03/2015
peter person, you must have read the thing wrong because i just searched what you did and it came up with 13.846 miles as the crow flies
The route map at Chennai and surrounding places are not clear. Clear map to be developed for the public.
By L.,K.Mathi on 21/03/2015
By ansar on 21/03/2015
ITS SEEM TO ME THEN THEY GIVE ME THE WROND PLACE TO START
Would be useful if adverts did not run across the middle of the page or if I could close the adverts. Makes this page unuseable.
This site has been such a GREAT HELP in planning our trip through Italy and Spain. Thankyou so much
By Jan on 15/03/2015
Wi-Fi Geolocation coordinates of Lat. 38.919052120; Long -94.599472050, and suspect%u2019s address of 600 W. 115th Street, Kansas City, Missouri, plotted on a Google map.
By Maqsood on 10/03/2015
MaiDane_25, unfortunately this is not possible on this page.
By Free Map Tools on 09/03/2015
Is there a thing to tell you how long it takes to get from one place to another?
By MaiDane_25 on 07/03/2015
How Far is it Between Romford, England and Hampton, England
By Free Map Tools on 04/03/2015
....and the route from Romford Essex to Hampton Middlesex is "not available" by land transport, but only by crow. How do I get a crow to take me from Romford to Hampton??
I thought I'd give it another try after last month's disaster. Distance by crow across London under 38 miles, but your route from Hampton to Billericay goes via Sevenoaks on the M25 then the Dartford Crossing almost 77 miles!! There will not be a 3rd chance. This is farcical.
By Keith Williams on 04/03/2015
How Far is it Between Wuhan City and Wuhan Int Airport
By Free Map Tools on 03/03/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1074 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: