How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between San Francisco, Usa and Rome, Italy
- How Far is it Between New York, Usa and London, Uk
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 8th January 2014 - Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance.
- 7th January 2014 - Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done.
- 13th November 2013 - Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 - New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane.
- 2nd December 2009 - Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list.
- 20th January 2008 - Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 - Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 - Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 - Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 - Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 - Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 - Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 - Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
That web side is really helpfull thank you :)
Brilliant! Thank you! So helpful.
Want time to travel that distance
this is fine for direct distance or otherwise it can not be functioned if you are intending to travel by sea
thanks simple and efficiant
By jason on 13/04/2014
Thanks this is briliant I try your program after spend some time to found one that is working Thanks
By Tobie Pretorius 2014/04/06 on 06/04/2014
Maris D., what two cities are you typing in to produce this result?
By Free Map Tools on 04/04/2014
how come when I use freemap tools in Internet explorer it gives a different result compared to Mozilla?
By Maris D. on 03/04/2014
I think its excellent. pdy.
By chuck on 24/03/2014
Hi, unfortunately not, it only takes city and country names.
By Free Map Tools on 24/03/2014
Hi, is there any way to type in gps lat/long coordinates? I'm working on a game to show COOL (Country of Origin Labels) to create an individual person's food web.
By elisia on 24/03/2014
I'll use this site for Commercial Vehicle Driving. I need to know air miles from home base for log book etc....
By Fred on 19/03/2014
thanks for helping me and I really appreciate it
By kari on 18/03/2014
thank you very much sir
By iam varun on 18/03/2014
Hi Barry, thanks for reporting this. It is not fixed [http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-baku_-azerbaijan-and-belfast_-northern-ireland.htm]
By Free Map Tools on 10/03/2014
By Free Map Tools on 10/03/2014
What a useless site. Actually put Baku, Azerbaijan in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean
By Barry Mackenzie on 10/03/2014
Hai, Can you tell me if the Haversine formula has been used to calculate the distances between the addresses for the crow flies distance.
By Nandi on 10/03/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 896 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: