How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Berlin, Germany and Tokyo, Japan
- How Far is it Between Manchester, England and San Francisco, Usa
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 7th March 2010 - New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane.
- 2nd December 2009 - Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list.
- 20th January 2008 - Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 - Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 - Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 - Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 - Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 - Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 - Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 - Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
wow its really great tool ,this saves a lot of calculations and search, have a good luck
By minirama on 15/05/2013
Hi, try http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-cigacice_-poland-and-berlin_-germany.htm.
By Free Map Tools on 12/04/2013
From Cigacicie, Poland to Berlin, Germany
As the crow flies: 277 km
Driving distance: 185 km
There is something wrong here
I would love the compass direction too
By Tess on 10/04/2013
Although the distance was easily obtained, the map defaulted to the wrong place...somewhere west of England??
By Henry Williams on 05/04/2013
Melissa, please try Measure Distance Map.
By Free Map Tools on 03/04/2013
I, as well, would like to be able to add more than 2 points, in order to find the distance form 1 point, to several other points.
By Melissa on 03/04/2013
Good that it gives the displacement and the distance. Really helpful :)
By Sakura on 03/04/2013
i did it again and it worked correctly - taos and denver
The distance your system shows from Denver Co. to Taos NM. is shorter driving than the crow flies. Something is wrong
great tool I wish i looked for this sooner
By dave on 02/04/2013
brilliant and fast thank you
By john westlake on 01/04/2013
I'm very sad for "TOO COMPLECATED", but then, it's easy to see WHY it's "TOO COMPLECATED"
This is great for 2 points. I would like to be able to load up 50 points and create a table of distnce.
By Jamie on 25/03/2013
Thank you. Very useful tool and very quick response, too.
Helpful for Tourist
By Green Peace on 19/03/2013
just the job, simple & quick.
this is a really good site for a project for science. also, one thing could change is that it just shows the world and it is. some people and including me would like to see cites too as well.
By KEKE on 08/03/2013
I love it! I plan travel trips thruout NW USA and it helps me budget. Thanks
By Todd S on 05/03/2013
By rashmi mehta on 05/03/2013
Showing the most recent 20 out of 741 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: