How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Manchester, England and Berlin, Germany
- How Far is it Between Glasgow, Scotland and Los Angeles California, Usa
- How Far is it Between Tokyo, Japan and Las Vegas Nevada, Usa
- How Far is it Between San Francisco, Usa and Rome, Italy
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
Very useful trip planning tool and easy to use.
By Oiler 8.3.15 on 03/08/2015
this site is Great! measures distance both via road, and 'as the crow flies'. i use this all the time.
By Seachelles on 31/07/2015
By 12 on 28/07/2015
Brilliant Full Stop ...
By Derek J on 28/07/2015
Super website easy to use great for route planning
By Colin on 28/07/2015
wery good ,super
By 🍍 on 21/07/2015
hi good map but my uses via and any
By parth on 18/07/2015
Very Good to measure distance
By Nitin Bhargava on 17/07/2015
Hi Don, this is not possible right now, but we will look in to adding this feature.
By Free Map Tools on 15/07/2015
Peter, it should work now ... How Far is it Between Bendigo, Victoria, Australia and Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.
By Free Map Tools on 14/07/2015
Won't recognise Bendigo, Victoria?
Keeps going to Adelaide???
By Peter on 13/07/2015
Is there any way that you can discover the names of towns that the proposed route passes through when you nominate town to town?
By Don on 13/07/2015
Very useful website!
Helps a lot in calculating accurate distance!
But could make more improvements in the future!
it works great. thank you!
Used to use AA but that no longer works at all for me. This is brilliant and I am very glad I found it. Thanks
By Martin on 11/07/2015
Wonder how I did without this site -
Very fast. Thank you
very good service from you people
By scrap dealer on 07/07/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1142 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: