How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between San Francisco, Usa and Glasgow, Scotland
- How Far is it Between London, England and Las Vegas Nevada, Usa
- How Far is it Between Tokyo, Japan and Edinburgh, Scotland
- How Far is it Between Berlin, Germany and London, Uk
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance.
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done.
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane.
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list.
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
Hi Robo, the page Measure a Distance has this feature.
By Free Map Tools on 17/12/2014
Hi, please input in the format [city, country].
By Free Map Tools on 16/12/2014
Can't find an address in Florida. And it's a simple address, not complicated. Keeps marking it in the downtown area of the city, when we know it's not. Therefore, can't get the distance calculation from that point...went to another site and it showed there.
I use it often as I write short fiction stories (for a hobby)which almost always involve travel
By Don A on 13/12/2014
Would be nice to have the directions to go along with the mileage but all in all a good tool to use.
By Norm on 10/12/2014
Very Good, but for sea travel needs either a further option but can be done by adding stages of route
By Mike D on 05/12/2014
This is really a useful tool. Thanks.
Maybe in the future it could have Tesla Superchargers and their distances.
By Larry on 01/12/2014
Good distance calculating but unable to print the full map from south to north. Page printed only starting point.
So easy to use. I thought it was brilliant. Did exactly what I wanted. Thanks
By Bev on 28/11/2014
Absolutely Brilliant. Very Useful especially on my moble phone.
By S. Irwin on 27/11/2014
I think this is excellent - very simple & easy to use
By Tony on 25/11/2014
Add a how long would it take if you went at the speed of -mph or kph then the time it would take ;) usefull
By Robo on 25/11/2014
it would be nice is this tool was able to determine a mileage radius around a given location
seems to thing that Southern California is the same place as NSW, Australia
It is very helpful and easy to use. It would be more helpful if there is a print option.
Fantastic tool - extremely accurate. I use this to calculate pay for my drivers. They keep a mileage log and it matches within a couple miles. Keeps everyone honest!!!
By Barry on 04/11/2014
A handy tool for radio operators to find their contact mileage to other countries
By 690 Arkansas on 02/11/2014
It would be useful to have a 'via' option. The route suggested (Penzance to Dover) uses the main roads, but is two sides of a triangle.
By Rosie on 31/10/2014
Hi, the 404 should now be resolved.
By Free Map Tools on 29/10/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1013 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: