How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between New York, Usa and Berlin, Germany
- How Far is it Between London, Uk and Tokyo, Japan
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance.
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done.
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane.
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list.
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
Liverpool to Macclesfield is shown as nearer to each other than Liverpool to the Cat & Fiddle , yet you must travel through Macclesfield and up into the Peak District to reach the Cat & Fiddle !!!
By F W Speakman on 26/07/2014
Brilliant by far the. Easiest site to use....
By Al on 26/07/2014
Great help thankyou
There is a mistake on the journey from Norwich to Beddgelert. it gives the option via Gloucester but this does not appear when you select it.
By Helen Casson on 22/07/2014
This is okay, but there are some things that could be fixed...
By Anonymous on 14/07/2014
I was not happy that I could not get Google Earth on my new Google Chromebook so this was a great find with your 'as the crow flies' function - well done!
By Berek in Bristol UK on 06/07/2014
By Richard on 02/07/2014
Fantastic and useful. It's on my favorites.
By donpaco on 02/07/2014
I like google maps
By Jasmine on 27/06/2014
Worthing to Holyhead is interesting!
By Oz on 25/06/2014
The easiest site i've found to show distances between towns, even the smaller ones in some cases and a route plan too, for free. Top marks, great site.
By Glengroudle on 23/06/2014
I was wondering the mile for two different routes. because one way has more traffic. It doesn't let me drag the driving distance line to a different freeway or direction. :(
By Jenn S on 18/06/2014
http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-tiruvannamalai_-tamilnadu-and-yerkadu_-tamilnadu.htm should now work
By Free Map Tools on 18/06/2014
Thanks for giving quick information about the rout.
do u offer source files 4 download, & gr8 stuff by d way
By LM_411 on 16/06/2014
On 09/06/2014, can you let us know the two locations you are using?
By Free Map Tools on 15/06/2014
Thank you! Excellent site -- it provided the information I needed, and promptly.
By N C Gordon on 12/06/2014
HOW IN THE WORLD IS THE DISPLACEMENT(CROW DISTANCE) BETWEEN TWO PLACES FOR EXAMPLE Tiruvannamalai, Tamilnadu AND Yerkadu, Tamilnadu GREATER THAN THE LAND ROUTE DISTANCE.
The most stupid app ever
Showing the most recent 20 out of 946 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: