How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between San Francisco, California Usa and Rio De Janerio, Brazil
- How Far is it Between Portland Oregon, Usa and Ottawa - Ontario, Canada
- How Far is it Between Delhi, India and Blackpool, England
- How Far is it Between Boston, Massachussets and Florence, Italy
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
Great Nice and easy
Show calculations please
Hi John, please have a look at Measure Distance on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 24/11/2015
Site is good BUT... can it calculate via a dot to dot route. here to there via ... that would make it very useful I don't want to take obscure winding back roads that may be less distance.
By John. on 24/11/2015
All good again, happy days !!!!!!
By sammy on 19/11/2015
Not showing me the distance !! it stays blank.....
By sammy on 19/11/2015
By yo mum on 17/11/2015
great no messing about just what i like
By ben on 17/11/2015
Too difficult to use. Google monopolizing maps era.
I think you need to make it easier to use.]:
This site sucks! I couldn't order my pizza!
By Kasandra on 16/11/2015
It is a fantastic site and I have used it so so so many times. IT'S AMAZING
By By Clara 15/11/2015 on 15/11/2015
MCS, thanks for the feedback. How Far is it Between Newcastle, United Kingdom and Middlesbrough, United Kingdom should now be fixed.
By Free Map Tools on 12/11/2015
Unfortunately quite a few errors: for example Newcastle to Middlesbrough shows road distance 40.989 miles (believable); crow-fly distance 92.444 miles - clearly not right. Have found a few such examples when checking crow-fly distances around GB.
Separately, "Distance by land transport" should read "Distance by road" - distances by rail and/or road public transport will be different.
By MCS on 12/11/2015
Sales Manager, we are sorry to hear this. Can you confirm what happens (at all) when you click the Show button? Which web browser are you using? There are no issues noticed when tested at this end.
By Free Map Tools on 11/11/2015
After having used this site for years, it has now suddenly stopped indicating distances,and refers to a link that seems to do nothing. Very disappointing.
By Sales Manager on 11/11/2015
very helpful, was easy to use
By karen on 10/11/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1209 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: