How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between London, Uk and Manchester, England
- How Far is it Between Sydney, Australia and London, England
- How Far is it Between Rome, Italy and Edinburgh, Scotland
- How Far is it Between New York, Usa and Los Angeles California, Usa
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
1 Mile Patio Approximately 1 Mile for the New Haven Green
By Jette on 24/08/2015
Hi Bob, you can use Measure Distance on a Map to measure custom distances such as this.
By Free Map Tools on 24/08/2015
Is it possible to measure distance between town/postcode to the nearest point of a county? I.e. From Crawley (Town) to Surrey (County)? If I do it, it picks a point in the middle of the county and gives me a distance to there. However, I need to measure distance to the nearest point within that administrative county.
By Bob on 24/08/2015
By Lauren Coombes on 21/08/2015
There is no problem with this page. From experience issues such as this are due to restrictions or custom settings at the client side machine or LAN.
By Free Map Tools on 20/08/2015
8/20/2015 - SHOWING ZERO BETWEEN 2 LOCATIONS WHEN CLICKED - IS THERE AN ALGORYTHM PROBLEM?
By FEP on 20/08/2015
This was really helpful with letting me know how far I was gonna have to drive
By Danielle on 17/08/2015
Hi Bill, it has never been possible to click on the map on this page. I guess you are talking about Measure Distance on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 13/08/2015
What happened? A week ago I was able to simply click on the map for two (or more) locations, and I immediately got the distance (in nautical miles even).Now I can't even find the "Show" button.
By Bill on 13/08/2015
excellent directions have it on mysaves
By paul on 13/08/2015
By michael keeler on 12/08/2015
Nice website... easy to use!
By MarySue on 10/08/2015
Very, very useful - helped me plan an alternative route to avoid the M25 in the height of the holiday season.
Very useful trip planning tool and easy to use.
By Oiler 8.3.15 on 03/08/2015
this site is Great! measures distance both via road, and 'as the crow flies'. i use this all the time.
By Seachelles on 31/07/2015
By 12 on 28/07/2015
Brilliant Full Stop ...
By Derek J on 28/07/2015
Super website easy to use great for route planning
By Colin on 28/07/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1156 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: