How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between London, England and San Francisco, Usa
- How Far is it Between Las Vegas Nevada, Usa and London, Uk
- How Far is it Between Glasgow, Scotland and New York, Usa
- How Far is it Between Sydney, Australia and Los Angeles California, Usa
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
By jude on 28/02/2015
I find this site really good most of the time but today i can not get the man to stay where i am putting him o the part of the route 162 south avon utah but thanks for a super experience normally.
By rancot on 27/02/2015
useless. Crap site.
Most useless way of calculating distance as if we can travel ,fly like a crow...whoever invented it should be mad..
By ferid on 25/02/2015
The comment below is incorrect. It works perfectly fine.
time distance is not showing
It wouldn't even work and I have a dealt good internet its called by brad band I would never use it again. It didn't Evan show me the right place and it is bad graphics. =( other than that it was good not
By joe jack Winslow on 21/02/2015
Something is wrong with my crow.
By Chris on 19/02/2015
Excellent tool for work mileage claims using own car
By Steve C. on 16/02/2015
Rajesh, we do not support or give any advice on how to implement the functionality on this page on another website.
By Free Map Tools on 15/02/2015
Hi Jim, please have a look at our Center of Gravity tool.
By Free Map Tools on 15/02/2015
A halfway point would be a good tool to add so you would be able to plan ahead for overnight stays.
By Jim Howell on 13/02/2015
A halfway point would be a good tool to plan for an overnight stay.
By Jamesw,email@example.com on 13/02/2015
good tool ....very helpful
By rod on 09/02/2015
How can i implement this tool in my website?
By Rajesh on 08/02/2015
By lamba..krish on 01/02/2015
Hi Peter, this has now been implemented. There is a new button below the map.
By Free Map Tools on 27/01/2015
is it possible to use on full screen?
By peter on 26/01/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1051 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: