How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Las Vegas Nevada, Usa and Edinburgh, Scotland
- How Far is it Between London, England and Berlin, Germany
- How Far is it Between New York, Usa and Tokyo, Japan
- How Far is it Between Sydney, Australia and Rome, Italy
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance.
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done.
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane.
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list.
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
the distance from Borivali,Mumbai to Thottakad,Kottayam,Kerala, do not seem to be correct since the road map shown is via bangalore,but when you use the konkan route,via Mangalore,the distane will be less.
This is a great tool, thanks.
By Cam on 23/10/2014
By Hahha on 23/10/2014
How do I convert the miles into hrs?
Very helpful thank you
By Rachid kassanda on 19/10/2014
This is fantastic! I'm using it to plan my next road trip. It also came in so very handy when i was calculating the cost of automobile travel for my tax return. I've sent the link to all of my traveling friends.
By Barbara on 15/10/2014
Useful and enjoyable.
By Geoff on 12/10/2014
Phyllis , Yes, that sounds right. The number of miles on this website should be multiplied by 5280 to get the number of feet.
By Free Map Tools on 09/10/2014
My BB9900 wouldn't operate app.Please help out.
Thank You so much. This has been a great help toward my solution.
I am looking for an answer relative to actual feet. I have been using the 1 mile ='s 5280 times your value 0.581 for the Crow Fly which = 3067.7 meaning the distance is 3,067 7/10s feet AND 0.713 for land which = 3764.6 meaning the distance by land is 3,764 6/10's feet. Is this correct?
By Phyllis @ email@example.com on 09/10/2014
Thanks for the tool. One problem, it would helpful if we could restrict measurements to a geographic place. For example, I would like to know the distance across Southern Canada without dipping into the United States.
By John Diefenbaker on 02/10/2014
Excellent tool, thank you,
distance. between. cape town. and johannesburg
very helpful! thank you!
Fabulous site about time there was something like this to be had.. Thanks its great well good....
By Diz Rubia on 22/09/2014
Why does my "as the crow flys" keep taking me to the place I want then to Lafaette Indiana? Is anyone else having this problem?
By AL on 22/09/2014
Destination between two points
Great tool - use it all the time. My only issue is how to isolate the route via Canada(Northern Ontario to Southern Ontario), without it showing me the shorter route through the States?
Showing the most recent 20 out of 990 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: