How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Sydney, Australia and Rome, Italy
- How Far is it Between Manchester, England and Los Angeles California, Usa
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance.
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done.
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane.
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list.
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
Superb. I use it a lot. Thanks.
By David on 25/08/2014
Fabulous! Thank you.
Hi Omo, a link to [http://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between.htm] will do fine. Thanks.
By Free Map Tools on 18/08/2014
The map is not showing above
How can I reference this efficient tool?
By Omo on 15/08/2014
By mathew on 15/08/2014
This is a great little tool. I use it for quick distance planning with my airplane. Would be nice to have nautical miles as an option for the distance as this is the measure used in the plane. Simple to use and VERY GOOD!! Thank you!!
By Tom, Canfield, OH, USA on 13/08/2014
really useful, excellent.
By Baz in Sheffield on 12/08/2014
Very helpful would be great if able to build journey in segments, ie. A-B-C-D ect. without losing previous information,
otherwise very useful
By Cam on 10/08/2014
I race pigeons and this is a excellent site to help me train my pigeons....... Thank you
By Sean on 09/08/2014
great tool, so useful
By Ron on 05/08/2014
Hi Ron, please have a look at Measure Distance Map.
By Free Map Tools on 01/08/2014
Would be useful to allow continuous clicks to build your route so you could find the distance by your preferred route
By Ron on 31/07/2014
Oh now, this is just way too cool. Terrific tool.
By Sr. Maryam Philippe on 31/07/2014
Thank you .Great info!
Liverpool to Macclesfield is shown as nearer to each other than Liverpool to the Cat & Fiddle , yet you must travel through Macclesfield and up into the Peak District to reach the Cat & Fiddle !!!
By F W Speakman on 26/07/2014
Brilliant by far the. Easiest site to use....
By Al on 26/07/2014
Great help thankyou
Showing the most recent 20 out of 963 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: