Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two points on a map. Start Clicking!
Measure Distance Map
|Total Distance Miles km Nautical Miles Yards|
|Autopan ? Snap To Roads ?|
Select Speed...0 KPH 1000 KPH
Or choose mode of transport...
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Quick Find text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click go. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Export to kml option
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c)
- Provide elevation data for route
- Provide measurement in feet
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Previous Comments For This Page
Hi Phil, This has been added to the list of future improvements. Thanks.
By Free Map Tools on 04/03/2015
Great Tool. Just mapped my 8.9 mile commute to work. Marietta, Ga to Kennesaw State University mostly on Noonday Creek Trail.
Hi - A great tool. Would it be possible to add elevation to it as well i.e. map the elevation along the route and give the total ascent?
By Phil Sheppard on 28/02/2015
dr harish nagpal
Add measurement in feet please!
By David on 23/02/2015
A very useful website. I have learned to plan better with this.
Activity for today
By Wilfred on 13/02/2015
By shablabalab on 03/02/2015
Awesome tool. I kayak and could never find a program to help mark off a river route. Thank you so much
By Justin on 29/01/2015
how do i download this to my samsung phone??
Best tool for plotting runs I've found yet!
By HB on 29/01/2015
I want know which cycle is the best for 12 km ride
By shivani sakhuja on 28/01/2015
how to street measurement in dhangdhra at gujrat india
By shubham on 12/01/2015
great tool to how map and work out distance.
By andreas on 07/01/2015
Very useful tool...got it bookmarked...helps me with my daily exercise as prescribed by cardiologist.
Thanks for the help:))
By Brian on 06/01/2015
breedte pad vanaf de voet
Great. I can see how far we snow shoed across a lake. Most maps only cover roads.
Showing the most recent 20 out of 823 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: