Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two points on a map. Start Clicking!
Measure Distance Map
|Total Distance Miles km Nautical Miles Yards|
|Autopan ? Snap To Roads ?|
Select Speed...0 KPH 1000 KPH
Or choose mode of transport...
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Quick Find text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click go. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Export to kml option
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c)
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Previous Comments For This Page
fast and easy to use tools.
By Yotin Meeyod on 27/10/2014
Good stuff, a little crowded on Monroe but whatever
By Tomahawk on 21/10/2014
Just the job!
By Andy on 19/10/2014
very handy and intuitive to use! like it!
I dunno really slow and too touch-sensitive.
Nice! I'm using it al the time.. :D
I would like it to measure distance in feet also.
Would like it in feet
Jako lepo uradjen program, nema takvog na internetu
Use it all the time to check distances that were walked. Great!!!
By Gibbs on 24/09/2014
USED IT WITH GREAT RESULTS
By STEWART COOK on 23/09/2014
Real great tool, could you please add a save feature or an export to a GPX type file. Many thanks
By Dave on 23/09/2014
Great tool to measure the distance for running! Thanks :)
By Erin on 23/09/2014
By Geoff on 12/09/2014
By rile on 09/09/2014
Hi, please try deleting your temporary internet files and reload the page again. We have made an update to some files and you may have old versions cached.
By Free Map Tools on 09/09/2014
use this quite a bit, but today distance stays at 0, not working.
By Kevin on 09/09/2014
Great App - But now when I click the distance remains at zero. I am using IE9/Windows 7 - it worked great on XP and older IE.
By Jonathan on 09/09/2014
Hi, can you explain how it doesn't work please?
By Free Map Tools on 03/09/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 776 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: