This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
ibby, what do you require help with?
By Free Map Tools on 01/03/2015
By elber silva on 01/03/2015
someone help me please
By ibby on 01/03/2015
Hi, i think you are using the meters squared output
By Free Map Tools on 26/02/2015
This has the US listed roughly of nearly 10 million square miles, compared to it actually being 3.85.
PRETTY GOOD PROGRAM. I LIKE IT
By PILLINISH on 26/02/2015
Very good, but is there any way to save this stuff?
By .EXE. on 26/02/2015
There is no option to download this application. It is only available from this website
By Free Map Tools on 20/02/2015
como descargar este programa
traducción de ingles a español
Terreno de Vale Zote
By Luis Dias on 11/02/2015
it really worked out, thank you
By turkish guy on 08/02/2015
By saul on 07/02/2015
Curtiembre Salcedo; trabajo de licenciamiento ambiental
By Mauricio Almachi on 03/02/2015
Hi Pancho, unfortunately this is not possible.
By Free Map Tools on 02/02/2015
Awesome tool, can I know angles and the measurements for each side?
By Pancho on 01/02/2015
Hi MAURO, [English] please have a look at About User Menu. This explains how to use the User Menu at the top right of the screen to save and reload.
By Free Map Tools on 27/01/2015
Alguien me puede explicar como hacer para guardar los mapas para su uso posterior
By MAURO on 27/01/2015
alguien me puede explicar por favor, por que a mi no me muestra el mapa que debo calcular. Gracias. email@example.com
Showing the most recent 20 out of 751 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: