This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
fantastico muy buen programa, util por sobretoda las cosas.
By hernan on 25/04/2015
Brilliant, fast,seriously user friendly. Thank You guys - so glad I found yoouuu... <3
By M on 25/04/2015
muy buen aporte , gracias me sirvio un monton
By Miguel on 21/04/2015
Excelente 10 sobre 10
By Patricio on 21/04/2015
The rotate option depends on where you are looking. Some places only have a single view with no rotate, others have a view that can be rotated.
By Free Map Tools on 14/04/2015
MUY BUEN PROGRAMA , FELICIDADES
By JORGE CHAVEZ on 14/04/2015
Why can't I rotate it anymore? Street view is nice but sometimes it is useful to be able to turn the picture to get a better measurement.
By KPT on 13/04/2015
Hi kash, good idea. Ctrl A will now do this
By Free Map Tools on 10/04/2015
I love this awesome website! I suggest implementing some "hotkeys" especially to "start a new measurement"..Best of Luck
By kash on 09/04/2015
By argedon on 07/04/2015
Por gentileza gostaria de abrir arquivo XML no google earth Kml
By firstname.lastname@example.org on 06/04/2015
Brilliant, fast,seriously user friendly
By John Taylor on 01/04/2015
By Helen Christou - 60CPO253035 on 29/03/2015
buenisima esta la pagina me sirvió de muco
By Jymmy on 28/03/2015
Muchas gracias para mi es muy util ya que trabajo en agricultura, genial.
By Rodolfo M on 28/03/2015
Es una excelente pagina te felicito muchísimo, ya que para mi y para los que trabajamos con información de topografía de predios nos es muy valiosa- Gracias por educarnos. Ing. Carlos Salazar-Guayaquil-Ecuador
By Carlos Salazar Savinovich on 22/03/2015
no me sale mi mapa por k es pues dice lo sentomos no se encontro
By franklin on 18/03/2015
SUEPER BIEN ESTA PÁGINA MUCHA GRACIA
Showing the most recent 20 out of 784 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: