This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
servey no 290 kalyangadh
Very useful tool. Thank you.
An option to find the distance between 2 points(nodes) would be a nice helpful addition.
By Saurav on 20/09/2014
una herramienta super util...felicidades por ello...saludos...
By arturo on 19/09/2014
Great tool. Easy to use with clear output.
Very useful tool, and will be even more so when the area can be saved for later use. Thanks for the facility.
By Richard on 03/09/2014
Mercado Publico "Tabasco Avanza" Localizado en la Colonia Atasta, de Villahermosa Tabasco
By Mercado_de_atasta on 29/08/2014
would like to print. otherwise extremely useful.
By Wally Hinze on 28/08/2014
Very nice and usefull tool! Thanks!
By Rui MorÃªda on 26/08/2014
Compra un metro de tierra!!!
By LOTE IGLESIA CRUZADA CRISTIANA on 23/08/2014
blueberry hill 11.75 acres with house
By Rileys Little Tractor on 21/08/2014
I cant..server my image.. or dont ready load my image
By LEA on 19/08/2014
Campo davanti alla cscina
By Campo primo del Franzois on 14/08/2014
Área total ecovlila
By Eco-vila Mato Dentro on 11/08/2014
Nice tool but it does not take into account undulating terrain.
By Alan on 11/08/2014
extremely useful tool, thanks.
By TF on 11/08/2014
Thanks, Really good
By Tan Eng Hua on 08/08/2014
The birds eye view will also work when it is available. Please bare in mind that the points are placed at ground level, even if an object sits in front of the ground.
By Free Map Tools on 05/08/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 655 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: