This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
volta na ilha
By teste on 29/05/2015
Can you see the map?
Are you able to add markers to the map by clicking?
By Free Map Tools on 28/05/2015
he seguido todos los pàsos y no me sale el area
By dario on 28/05/2015
great thanks. make a toggle for feet in addition to metric units
By tabayesco bajo on 26/05/2015
Me parece buena herramienta para levantamiento preliminar, y despues ajustar en campo
By Ing. Gutierrez on 15/05/2015
Lake Forest Mall, Gaithersburg, MD
By Lake Forest Mall on 14/05/2015
Excelent source for reference only , apreciate all efforts you made and free consult , I hope, thanks, will not be enough for your participation and contribution to the global internet users
CONGRATULATIONS , GOD BLESS YOU!!
By HERMAN on 13/05/2015
Excellent . It needs printing option for future refrence
By Kadhir on 13/05/2015
exelente , me sirvió muchísimo !
By sebastian on 12/05/2015
By roa on 12/05/2015
By El Rolo on 12/05/2015
By Napoleon Gutierrez de PIÃ±eres on 09/05/2015
Hi Marian, Can you confirm you are drawing a single polygon in Google Earth then saving it as a .KML file?
By Free Map Tools on 04/05/2015
Good evening , it's impossible for me to calculate the area under the program , sending the map that is made in google earth it is sent , but does not appear, thank you, I hope your answer
By MARIAN MAGO on 02/05/2015
Hi Marian, could you explain in English please?
By Free Map Tools on 02/05/2015
Area aproximda lote kiosko Ziruma - Valledupar
By Jairo Morelli on 01/05/2015
No he podido sacar el area de mi mapa, esta en el programa de google earth, como hago para poder sacarlo? Subi el documento y todo y aun asi no me sale nada... Gracias
By Marian Mago on 01/05/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 807 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: