This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
Es una excelente pagina te felicito muchísimo, ya que para mi y para los que trabajamos con información de topografía de predios nos es muy valiosa- Gracias por educarnos. Ing. Carlos Salazar-Guayaquil-Ecuador
By Carlos Salazar Savinovich on 22/03/2015
no me sale mi mapa por k es pues dice lo sentomos no se encontro
By franklin on 18/03/2015
SUEPER BIEN ESTA PÁGINA MUCHA GRACIA
This might work fine for small geographical area, but it's not correct for large areas. For example, using the three coordinates (47.175833, -122.293611), (36.175, -115.136389), (34.05, -118.25) should yield 242,780,113,885.49441 square meters, but your tool outputs 213,332,783,030.781. That's quite a big difference. I wonder if you're considering the spheroidal triangle excess?
By Tanner on 12/03/2015
By AMS on 11/03/2015
Bueno pero como lo descargo
By firstname.lastname@example.org on 09/03/2015
esta finca del sr OJEDA tiene 36.672 ha
By ojeda on 09/03/2015
By carlos on 09/03/2015
By galante on 08/03/2015
como puedo pasar el dibujo del terreno a excel para imprimirlo... me urge por favor
By Yadira Gama Garcia on 08/03/2015
Yeah! Not Bad, Using It To Calculate An Area Of A Certain School. Pretty Good Program Online.....Saving To Bookmarks Now!
By James on 05/03/2015
Satellital images aren't really updated, hope you can use current google maps satellital ones.
.EXE. you can use the User Menu at the top right of the page to save and load your areas.
By Free Map Tools on 03/03/2015
ESTA FINCA TIENE 36.348 HA
By FINCA OJEDA on 02/03/2015
How can I export or print a calculated area?
By Mike on 02/03/2015
excelente gracias por el aporte
By cesar more on 02/03/2015
ibby, what do you require help with?
By Free Map Tools on 01/03/2015
By elber silva on 01/03/2015
someone help me please
By ibby on 01/03/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 768 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: