This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
c club area
By omendra kumar on 06/03/2014
I love it site. excelent job, excelent program. Thank for you it.
By Ãnsal on 05/03/2014
excelente herramienta de trabajo felicidades
By pon-garcia on 05/03/2014
es una herramienta muy buena... excelente
By AYERDIS on 04/03/2014
es maravillosa esta herramienta!!!, pero lo unico malo es que las imagenes no estan actualizadas, pero como herramienta es simplemente maravillosa
By ernesto fernandez on 27/02/2014
Useful tool. As 1km squared = 1 Hectare, it would be useful to label that result as both km and hectares.
realy Use full tool.One can measure aprox.land area by looking land marks
By MOHAN JAGTAP on 26/02/2014
this is an excellent tool, thank you
By hussein on 24/02/2014
thanks, it´s a very good tool measuring areas
By cesar on 22/02/2014
Really helpfull, Thanks a lot
Es una herramienta muy útil, facilita demasiado mi trabajo.
By agtry on 22/02/2014
muy util gracias
By enrique on 19/02/2014
Really helpful site, thanks!
Hi Pete, thanks for the feedback. This area calculator is used to calculate areas, not distances. If you are using the perimeter measurement to measure distances, then it will not report the distance between points, instead it will show the perimeter. When there are 2 points, the perimeter will be twice the distance between them.
By Free Map Tools on 16/02/2014
First of all, awesome tool! I just measure a small path in google maps that measured 57m, while your application showed it to be 117 m, showing as perimeter for 2 points, does it measure de segment twice? Could it just show the length for the 2 points?
By Pete on 16/02/2014
Very Very good and useful, I do small acre contracting and it is rare to find someone who knows what they have. This helps
By Guthrie Forbes on 15/02/2014
Hi Madeleine, we can only show the maps provided by Google Maps API. It is not unknown for the maps displayed on maps.google.com to be different. But as I say, it is not in our control.
By Free Map Tools on 13/02/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 528 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: