This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
como guardo un mapa de estos?
"Add distance between the points based on user interest"
By Kumar on 25/11/2015
By D VENKATRAO on 21/11/2015
NO puedo ver el area... que puedo hacer?
By Cancho Vivanco on 18/11/2015
Can you confirm which browser you are using please?
By Free Map Tools on 18/11/2015
No map showing?
By Chris on 18/11/2015
it is very nice
By hasan on 17/11/2015
Gracias!!! Muy util y facil!
By Claudio on 16/11/2015
Helped me find buried treasure! Thanks!
By Jimmy on 12/11/2015
This is great
By Bello on 12/11/2015
By DVENKATRAO on 11/11/2015
muy practico, agradecido
By aristoteles on 10/11/2015
Genial herramienta, muy útil...
By Franco B. on 08/11/2015
Excelente herramienta.Muy util
By Antonio MartĂnez on 07/11/2015
By miguel on 06/11/2015
By W on 06/11/2015
MUY UTIL SIEMPRE Y CUANDO LAS COORDENADAS TOMADAS EN CAMPO SEAN DE PRESICION.
By SERGIO on 01/11/2015
how to accurate measurement of pilots
Showing the most recent 20 out of 922 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: