This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
Garry, it appears under certain circumstances. You need to be zoomed-in quite far. Also, it is only available in certain areas, typically more populous areas.
By Free Map Tools on 30/08/2015
sometimes they icon is there to rotate map, sometimes not. When calculating distance or area how to am I able to get the rotate capability enabled?
By Garry on 29/08/2015
Thank you so much for this! I think you should add earth view of maps,thanks!
table for kuzhi to suare feet
By Ing. Peredo Fitzck. on 21/08/2015
Excelente meirvio de mucha ayuda
By ilianissf on 20/08/2015
MUY BUENO GRACIAS
By ARQ, MARIO on 20/08/2015
Excelente apoyo, sirve bastante
By Roy Rios on 20/08/2015
Excelente herramienta gracias
By Javier G on 19/08/2015
Gracias, excelente herramienta!
Google Earth Freemaptools.com , la combinación perfecta!
By Juan Diego on 18/08/2015
Alt n works fine. Thank you very much for your great support.
By kash on 14/08/2015
its wqorking, i cant belive it
pepito de los palotes
By 16827.557 mÂ² on 11/08/2015
Hi Javier, you can save using the User Menu at the top right of this page
By Free Map Tools on 10/08/2015
PD.-Una pregunta el resultado lo guardo con imprimir pantalla, no he localizado una opción de guardar como archivo.
By Javier Castillo on 10/08/2015
excelente ayuda gracias.
By octaviano on 10/08/2015
By pedro on 09/08/2015
Total acres per this map 27.517. This split makes the south track 13.500 and the north track is 14.017.
By Trevor Minter on 07/08/2015
Gracias Edgar excelente aportación que dará mayor presentación a is trabajos, saludos
By Ricardo on 05/08/2015
HELLO, I AM EFREN, THANKS FOR YOU HELP, BUT ICAN MAKING A POLYGON, GETS THE RESULT OF THE AREA, ALL IS CORRECT, BUT THE IMAGEN OF THE FLAT NO, WHAT SHOULD IDO TO MAKE APPEAR ?
By EFREN on 04/08/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 869 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: