This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
On 11/04/2014, can you confirm where you are searching for and the error code that comes up please?
By Free Map Tools on 14/04/2014
Hi Allan, can you send us an example file? Where are the KML files coming from? is it Google Earth?
By Free Map Tools on 14/04/2014
This is great.
Worked pretty good for a freeby. Will use it again
By Steven on 13/04/2014
My uploaded kml file shows up off the coast of Nigeria?!?
I've rtied to upload several kml files and they all do the same thing.
What am I doing wrong?
By Allan on 12/04/2014
How about being able print the area within markers, within a specified document size (1 page, 2 pages, 4 pages, etc.) without having to go through all the contortions necessary in a regular print program? You know, with rescaling, light-dark control.
Also, what about typing in known Lat/Lon coordinates and generating an area from that ........... and having the lat/lon displayed and printed in little info boxes, which can also be printed?
By Frank on 12/04/2014
When using the area map you can no longer type in an address and search. When you do an error code comes up.
1. The ability to save a map with a link would be great.
2. The ability to have more than one area defined on a map would also be great. For example, when subdividing a lot it would be really helpful to see the whole area as well as the subdivided components and have separate stats for each.
By Peter Wills on 07/04/2014
Excellent support tool for real estate. Would be great to see distances between points.
By Marko on 05/04/2014
By AMMADEY on 05/04/2014
Brilliant , thanks
Es una excelente herramienta, para sacar areas y en combinación con el Google Earth, es una apoyo para la actividad que realizo, Bienes Raices.
By Jose Silva Ramos on 03/04/2014
Thank you for this tool. But the vertices are added in illogical way and very hard to figure out where will the added vertex appear!
Muy buena pagina...excelente y mejores aplicaciones.
By Siciliano on 31/03/2014
Great site, literally exactly what I wanted.
By guesteroo on 29/03/2014
muy buena esta obcion
By freddy on 28/03/2014
Un instrumento muy valioso...Me ha servido mucho..:Gracias...Saludos
By AJ on 24/03/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 565 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: