This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
Hi Simon, it now calculates total area.
By Free Map Tools on 18/12/2014
Hi, what device are you using?
By Free Map Tools on 16/12/2014
When putting a marker down on the map, it has a tendency to not allow me to click and drag the map. Instead it puts a marker down.
It would be great if the points could be passed as GET parameters; this way text output from home-brew tools could be formatted into a URL and displayed here.
By cavbert on 16/12/2014
how do l calculate the true size of africa ?
By sani alhaji musa on 15/12/2014
Demarcación de acuerdo a escritura de Parcela 100 es lo mas cercano a lo que ocurre en el terreno. Esta demarcación arroja entonces 9.717,418 m². que seria lo que realmente tiene esta parcela.
By Jaime Pereira Gigogne on 15/12/2014
How can I see the dimensions of each side..
By Kante on 09/12/2014
que bueno!!! simple!!! facil!!! y sencillo!!!
que gusto que en el mundo exista gente como Uds.
By Fabrizzio cuadros on 09/12/2014
no me muestra el plano que debo hacer
By JP on 07/12/2014
muy buena herramienta
By carlos on 06/12/2014
Bueno solo como guia referencial
By lacruz on 05/12/2014
Great tool! Could it be set to display the length between each set of points?
By Lou B. on 04/12/2014
MUY BUENA PAGINA ,SALUDOS AMIGOS,AYUDA MUCHO,FELIZ NAVIDAD Y PROSPERO AÑO NUEVO 2015,LES DESEO DESDE GUERRERO,MÉXICO.
By LUIS TAPIA on 01/12/2014
this is just so great.
By email@example.com on 30/11/2014
By Justino Santos on 30/11/2014
By arturo on 28/11/2014
Could you set it up so its adds up multiple areas after starting a new area. Having 'Start a new area' seems rather pointless without that function
By Simon on 28/11/2014
How i upload .gpx file
By darshi on 27/11/2014
the perimeter output figure is twice what it should be!
By AY on 27/11/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 716 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: