This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
Excelente Herramienta, muy util
By JesÃºs on 30/07/2015
Hi, sorry, please try Alt n for a new area.
By Free Map Tools on 27/07/2015
Months ago, I suggested implementing hotkeys especially for new measurments, and you were kind enough to do it the next day I see, yet "Ctrl A" is reserved for "Select All" by Windows I guess. Good luck.
By kash on 26/07/2015
Hi EFREN, can you explain your problem in more detail please? I don't quite understand.
By Free Map Tools on 21/07/2015
THANKS, BUT IN THE LAST CONSULT IMAGEN IS NONE, CAN YOU HELP ME? IS THERE A PROBLEM? OR CONFIGURATION
By EFREN on 21/07/2015
By MAP FINCA JUYAMAYA on 20/07/2015
MUY BUENO ME AYUDO MUCHO
By FREDDY on 20/07/2015
Fantastic, exactly what I was looking for
By seba on 17/07/2015
ALGUIEN ME PUEDE AYUDAR? DESEO TRASLADAR EL ÁREA CALCULADA ELEGIDA AL AutoCAD... Gracias
By DANTE on 14/07/2015
This was EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thank you really much for putting the time and effort required to make this website. Cheers!
HP, you can save the map by using the [User Menu] at the top right of the page.
By Free Map Tools on 07/07/2015
Great tool, but two suggestions: It would be helpful if we could save the maps we create. Also, it would be good if one could right click and remove specific markers.
By HP on 05/07/2015
excelente herramienta gracias
By miguel on 26/06/2015
By know on 26/06/2015
Hi, please try Measure Distance on a Map for linear distances.
By Free Map Tools on 25/06/2015
Could you provide linear distances between points?
muchas gracias por tan excelente herramienta como la como la exporto a Autocad y civil
By Edgar Gomez on 24/06/2015
Excelente página de ayuda para consultar áreas y longitudes!!! que gran idea!!! el uso de la tecnología al servicio del hombre, Gracias!!
By luis ortiz on 24/06/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 849 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: