This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
Hi MAURO, [English] please have a look at About User Menu. This explains how to use the User Menu at the top right of the screen to save and reload.
By Free Map Tools on 27/01/2015
Alguien me puede explicar como hacer para guardar los mapas para su uso posterior
By MAURO on 27/01/2015
alguien me puede explicar por favor, por que a mi no me muestra el mapa que debo calcular. Gracias. email@example.com
BIEN MUY BIEN
By CARLOS on 15/01/2015
VERY GOOG PROGRAM
Parcela de Ernesto Engelwart Maxerhoffer
Muy buena aplicación, y bastante útil.
By Estructuras generales on 15/01/2015
By Egzil on 12/01/2015
No calcula el área y no muestra el mapa que debo hacer?
By Fredy on 10/01/2015
can we add feet to the measurement tool?
una muy buena herramienta, MUY RECOMENDABLE!!!
By OBRAS PUBLICAS on 08/01/2015
Estupenda Herramienta lo comprobé con calculo manual y solo decimas de variación.
Podrían decir si también se obtienen coordenadas UTM de los puntos de la poligonal y ángulos
By JBarci on 05/01/2015
Use the [User Menu] up at the top right of the screen.
By Free Map tools on 01/01/2015
How can I save a polygon that I create, in case I want to go back and edit this later?
This is exactly what I was looking for and works perfectly for my needs! Thank you!
AhWell, are you using this area calculator to measure distances? The distance displayed is of the perimeter of the area you are drawing. For a 2 sided area, this is displayed as twice the distance between the points.
By Free Map Tools on 31/12/2014
Measurements are at least double reality.
By AhWell on 27/12/2014
Showing the most recent 20 out of 735 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: