How Far Can I Travel
Discover how far you can travel on land from a fixed point. Specify the start point, then input either how far you can go or your mode of transport with time available. This tool will then show you the range of locations that you can reach in that time on and isochrone map.
How Far Can I Travel Map
|Units of measurement||km miles|
|(1)||Enter an Address|
|(2A)||Speed||0 KPH120 KPH|
|And Time :||hours|
|(2B)||How far can you travel||km|
|(Optional)||Choose Processing Speed Vs Accuracy|
|Mode of Transport?|
|Google Earth KML Output - Feedback is welcome as this will most likely have bugs|
|Once you have a radius on the map :|
|URL to link back - Feedback is welcome as this will most likely have bugs|
|Use this URL to link to this map :|
How to use the How Far Can I Travel Tool
You do not need to interact with the map as it will move and resize depending on what you input. To start with, input an address / location in to option 1. Remember, the entire world has to be searched to find this location so make it precise. For example "123 Example Road, ExCity, Excountry" is a good method.
Next you need to indicate the total road distance you can travel. This can be done in two ways:
2A : By inputting a speed of travel and a travel time. For example you may wish to walk for 1 hour.
2B : By inputting a distance. For example you wish to find somewhere 50km away.
Optional, Specify how accurate you want the results to be. Accuracy can be low medium or high. This will result in the tool running faster or slower (more accurate means more time needed). If you find your web browser becoming slow of even crashing you are advised to lessen the accuracy.
Then click [Search] and wait a short time for the start point and all points on the perimeter of your range to be displayed.
Hover over a perimeter marker to see it's road distance from the start point and the as the crow flies distance. Click on a marker to see the address of any nearby locations.
You can then export the area to KML file with or without endpoints. Endpoints are the yellow pins that appear inside Google Earth
The How Far Can I Travel tool has been developed after requests by numerous people all of whom had different applications for it but all asked for a similar thing. "Instead of a radius as the crow flies, can you do a radius as the car drives" was the most popular way of explaining this. Please get in contact to report bugs or suggest improvements.
- 22nd March 2015 : Version 4.4 - Fill colour can now be changed
- 16th January 2015 : Version 4.3 - Added Public transport to the list of travel modes
- 10th September 2014 : Version 4.2 - Find ZIP Codes inside the area option removed - The new User Menu replaces this functionality
- 15th July 2014 : Version 4.1
- Multiple areas can now be added
- Improved algorithm to prevent 'cross-over'
- 10th July June 2014 : Version 4.0
- Improved search algorithm
- New option to select mode of travel (walking, cycling, driving)
- Now shows percent complete during processing
- 26th June 2014 : Version 3.2 - New option to Find ZIP Codes inside the area
- 23rd January 2014 : Version 3.1 - Added Full Screen option
- 13th November 2013 : Version 3.0 - Google Maps API V3 Implemented
- 13th June 2012 : Version 2.9 - URL generated now includes the settings for avoid highways and show end markers
- 27th September 2011 : Version 2.8 - URL generated now includes the units (km/miles)
- 27th July 2011 : Version 2.7
- Added notification when processing is finished
- Added option to show/hide markers
- Added option to switch between km and miles
- 29th June 2011 : Version 2.6 - Added avoid highways option
- 21st September 2010 : Version 2.5 - Added miles output on each markers's hover over event
- 17th August 2010 : Version 2.4 - Added export to KML with End Points option.
- 29th July 2010 : Version 2.3 - Added URL output to allow you to send a link with your map criteria to someone else.
- 10th March 2010 : Version 2.2 - Added export to KML option.
- 31st January 2010 : Version 2.1 - Increased maximum range to 999km instead of 99km.
- 22nd December 2009 : Version 2.0 - New option allowing user to specify how fast or slow (inverse to accuracy) they wish the tool to run.
- 25rd November 2009 : Version 1.4 - Added notification when address is not found. Before this nothing seemed to happen on screen.
- 23rd November 2009 : Version 1.3 - Added nearby location text upon clicking a perimeter marker
- 22nd November 2009 : Version 1.1
- Corrected units issue
- Added as the crow flies output to the tooltip for each marker.
- 22nd November 2009 : Version 1.0
- Allow input of time in minutes
Previous Comments For This Page
Hi John, not at this time. We will consider it for future versions.
By Free Map Tools on 14/04/2015
The multiple areas feature is incredibly useful. Unfortunately, the URL to link back only displays the latest search. Is it possible to have the URL save all current searches?
By John on 14/04/2015
Jerome, this would take too much processing to complete in a reasonable time.
By Free Map Tools on 08/04/2015
It is a great tool, which performs good in developed countries.Though it doesn't seem to be working good in Latin America
Hi, nice app.
Just like other comments, why don't use Maps speed limit and just enter time of travel...
By Jerome on 07/04/2015
It would be great if instead of inputting a speed you could just put a time and it would take speed limits into account like Google maps direction.
By Kim on 24/03/2015
Hi Ed, this has been added to Future Ideas.
By Free Map Tools on 23/03/2015
I really like your tool and appreciate all the effort you've put forth in making it. Thank you! Have you considered adding a Minutes box to step 2A? Sometimes it's hard to make the mental jump from 135 minutes to decimal hours/minutes.
By Ed on 23/03/2015
Hi, the fill colour can now be changed.
By Free Map Tools on 22/03/2015
Hi, we don't have a time-frame at the moment.
By Free Map Tools on 18/03/2015
Hi read past comments that you are looking at option to change colours of the radius - it would be great to have this option. When will this be implemented please?
Hi Sophia, not at the moment. We well add this to the to-do list.
By Free Map Tools on 17/03/2015
Is there any way to change the color of the radius. It's hard to differentiate between one drive time radius to the next on a map.
By Sophia on 16/03/2015
Would love to see the option for directional travel, rather than a radius only.
By Gregg on 12/03/2015
On 19/02/2015, we don't have access to the travel time data in this way. It can be found retrospectively but not as a means of input.
By Free Map Tools on 05/03/2015
Hi, I guess it is missing a value for speed?
By Free Map Tools on 05/03/2015
Hi, I input data into 2A but nothing happens when I hit search. It only processes if 2B is filled out.
30 minute radius of Missoula, for looking for house
By Shawna j on 27/02/2015
Hi [head east young people :)] is it still doing this?
By Free Map Tools on 25/02/2015
Hi Peter, There is a Full Screen button that should do that.
By Free Map Tools on 25/02/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 296 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: