How Far Can I Travel
Discover how far you can travel on land from a fixed point. Specify the start point, then input either how far you can go or your mode of transport with time available. This tool will then show you the range of locations that you can reach in that time on and isochrone map.
How Far Can I Travel Map
|Units of measurement||km miles|
|(1)||Enter an Address|
|(2A)||Speed||0 KPH120 KPH|
|And Time :||hours|
|(2B)||How far can you travel||km|
|(Optional)||Choose Processing Speed Vs Accuracy|
|Mode of Transport?|
|Google Earth KML Output - Feedback is welcome as this will most likely have bugs|
|Once you have a radius on the map :|
|URL to link back - Feedback is welcome as this will most likely have bugs|
|Use this URL to link to this map :|
How to use the How Far Can I Travel Tool
You do not need to interact with the map as it will move and resize depending on what you input. To start with, input an address / location in to option 1. Remember, the entire world has to be searched to find this location so make it precise. For example "123 Example Road, ExCity, Excountry" is a good method.
Next you need to indicate the total road distance you can travel. This can be done in two ways:
2A : By inputting a speed of travel and a travel time. For example you may wish to walk for 1 hour.
2B : By inputting a distance. For example you wish to find somewhere 50km away.
Optional, Specify how accurate you want the results to be. Accuracy can be low medium or high. This will result in the tool running faster or slower (more accurate means more time needed). If you find your web browser becoming slow of even crashing you are advised to lessen the accuracy.
Then click [Search] and wait a short time for the start point and all points on the perimeter of your range to be displayed.
Hover over a perimeter marker to see it's road distance from the start point and the as the crow flies distance. Click on a marker to see the address of any nearby locations.
You can then export the area to KML file with or without endpoints. Endpoints are the yellow pins that appear inside Google Earth
The How Far Can I Travel tool has been developed after requests by numerous people all of whom had different applications for it but all asked for a similar thing. "Instead of a radius as the crow flies, can you do a radius as the car drives" was the most popular way of explaining this. Please get in contact to report bugs or suggest improvements.
- 22nd March 2015 : Version 4.4 - Fill colour can now be changed
- 16th January 2015 : Version 4.3 - Added Public transport to the list of travel modes
- 10th September 2014 : Version 4.2 - Find ZIP Codes inside the area option removed - The new User Menu replaces this functionality
- 15th July 2014 : Version 4.1
- Multiple areas can now be added
- Improved algorithm to prevent 'cross-over'
- 10th July June 2014 : Version 4.0
- Improved search algorithm
- New option to select mode of travel (walking, cycling, driving)
- Now shows percent complete during processing
- 26th June 2014 : Version 3.2 - New option to Find ZIP Codes inside the area
- 23rd January 2014 : Version 3.1 - Added Full Screen option
- 13th November 2013 : Version 3.0 - Google Maps API V3 Implemented
- 13th June 2012 : Version 2.9 - URL generated now includes the settings for avoid highways and show end markers
- 27th September 2011 : Version 2.8 - URL generated now includes the units (km/miles)
- 27th July 2011 : Version 2.7
- Added notification when processing is finished
- Added option to show/hide markers
- Added option to switch between km and miles
- 29th June 2011 : Version 2.6 - Added avoid highways option
- 21st September 2010 : Version 2.5 - Added miles output on each markers's hover over event
- 17th August 2010 : Version 2.4 - Added export to KML with End Points option.
- 29th July 2010 : Version 2.3 - Added URL output to allow you to send a link with your map criteria to someone else.
- 10th March 2010 : Version 2.2 - Added export to KML option.
- 31st January 2010 : Version 2.1 - Increased maximum range to 999km instead of 99km.
- 22nd December 2009 : Version 2.0 - New option allowing user to specify how fast or slow (inverse to accuracy) they wish the tool to run.
- 25rd November 2009 : Version 1.4 - Added notification when address is not found. Before this nothing seemed to happen on screen.
- 23rd November 2009 : Version 1.3 - Added nearby location text upon clicking a perimeter marker
- 22nd November 2009 : Version 1.1
- Corrected units issue
- Added as the crow flies output to the tooltip for each marker.
- 22nd November 2009 : Version 1.0
- Allow input of time in minutes
Previous Comments For This Page
Great tool! However, generated KML file is not correct. I think you swapped latitude and longtitude in coordinates.
By Krystian on 17/07/2015
I need to identify competitors within a specific drive time of a location, and map each of the competitors locations. This would be a wonderful tool for site selection
By Greg Zieba on 11/07/2015
Exactly what I was looking for! We RV. This tool lets us figure out what is 7 hours away or how far it is to the next campground we might stay in. So tired of a 7 hour trip turning into a 10 hr trip and arriving in the dark!
By AZCarolina on 09/07/2015
I love this tool but thought you might want to know that it frequently produces erroneous results. For instance, I just mapped a 75 mile driving radius around oakland california and the entire western boundary was more like a 15 mile drive than a 75 mile drive...
By Bay Area Mapper on 26/06/2015
great ! What I was looking for ! Thanks
By Julien on 24/06/2015
Exactly what I needed but if it could be upgraded to have the different speeds of road to see where i would apply for jobs from my home it would be even better.
By Rhona on 20/06/2015
when I use the 'how far can I travel' function with a start point near the coast the polygon goes funny and doesn't even include the start point in the polygon! For example, the address I used was TN37 7RD.
By Mejd on 05/06/2015
It would be lovely If I could get a list of all towns and cities within the determined area.
By Harley on 04/06/2015
Hi Simon, is it always after a number of searches? Such as 1,2,3,4 work fine, but 5th freezes?
By Free Map Tools on 21/05/2015
Following up on 4 out 5 problem. Using Chrome, Win 7 and calculating how far can I travel around different point in central London.
By Simon on 20/05/2015
4 out of 5 calculations freeze while processing, so cant export KML. Is this normal or any suggestion to prevent?
As other commenters have posted it really needs to be able to calcuate the road speeds like google maps route planner does because the average speed would be different in every direction.
Amazing tool, exactly what I needed. Thank you so much for your work.
By Scott on 12/05/2015
Hi Rich, there are known issues when it comes to coastlines and peninsulas.
By Free Map Tools on 12/05/2015
I have a problem when drawing radii of 100 miles and over, starting from Cambridge (UK). It seems to draw the polygon perfectly for the west of the country but gets confused and draws a straight line down the east. Is this a problem anyone else has encountered?
By Rich on 12/05/2015
I agree with others. Would be really nice to enter time only and have distance calculated based on speed limits and even time of day/traffic info. Realize it would be calc intensive but it really is the best answer to a bunch of questions such as "I work here, where can I buy a house so I don't have to commute more that 30 minutes during rush hour?" Any way to transfer the calc load to the local machine or some other way to do this?
By SteveP on 07/05/2015
I'd like to print the results and attach it to an email. I don't see a print button.
Hi, for 30mins, use 0.5 hours. Thanks
By Free Map Tools on 28/04/2015
Fantastic Tool, how do i input 30 minutes?
By cycling instructor on 28/04/2015
Showing the most recent 20 out of 318 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: