This article will describe how you can use Free Map Tools Find Population on Map to produce an estimate for the population inside a radius.
- Draw the radius by dragging clicking on the map at the desired center point
- Adjust the position of the radius by dragging the center grip
- Change the radius itself by dragging one of the four outside grips
- Once the radius is correct, click the [Find Population] button. After a shortly delay, the estimated population will be displayed below the map.
You can use the Find Population on Map tool to draw a radius or area and then find out the population inside that area.
To start, click either the radius or area icon.
Population Choose Radius or Area
For a radius, click on the map to draw the radius. You can then reposition or re-centre the radius in order to get it to cover the required area.
Once you are satisfied with the position of the radius on the map, click the [Find Population] button just below the map. The population estimate is then displayed below the map. See the example below for the population estimate of Dublin, Ireland
Population of Dublin, Ireland Radius
For a user defined area, click on the map multiple times to draw the area on the map. You can drag to reposition any vertex. You can also right click to delete a vertex. It is advised to draw the area in a clockwise direction clicking around the area in a clockwise fashion. Once you are satisfied with the position of the radius on the map, click the [Find Population] button just below the map. The population estimate is then displayed below the map. See the example below for the population estimate of Hawaii, USA.
Population of Hawaii
Visit Find Population on Map to try it yourself!
Need to find a list of US Cities found inside a radius from a center point?
Using Find ZIP Codes Inside a Radius you can do this quickly. We will show an example of all cities in a 50mile radius of Denver, Colorado.
- Step 1: Visit Find ZIP Codes Inside a Radius
- Step 2: Add the input parameters of 50 miles and the center point of “Denver, Colorado” in to the text boxes
50 miles from Denver, Colorado
- Step 3: Click the [Draw Radius] button
- Step 4: After a short delay, the list of cities are provided below
Cities CSV List
- Step 5: The list will be in CSV format which can be hard to read. To get the cities to list on row at a time:
- Step 6: Click the [Toggle CSV] button
Toggle CSV Button
- Step 7: The list of cities will now be listed one per row. You can now select, copy and paste the text for your own needs.
Cities List by Row
Visit Find ZIP Codes Inside a Radius to try it yourself!
Following the addition of our new User Menu feature, we can show an example of how to use multiple pages on Free Map Tools and share data between them.
This scenario, is to list the USA ZIP codes within a ‘drive time’ radius. In this example we will find all ZIP codes within a 2 hour drive from Detroit, USA.
- Make your drive time radius. E.g. https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-can-i-travel.htm?address=Detroit,%20Michigan,%20USA&speed=53&time=2&accuracy=10&u=km&hw=false&m=false&mode=DRIVING
- Once finished, choose Save Area from the User Menu
- Give the new area a name
- Go to http://www.freemaptools.com/find-zip-codes-inside-user-defined-area.htm
- Choose User Menu > Load Area
- Click your new area from the list to load it
- Click the Search For ZIP codes button
Your ZIPs are now returned!
Please use this example a basis for your own needs and uses across different pages on Free Map Tools
You can see how data is compatible between pages on https://www.freemaptools.com/about-user-menu.htm#featuretable