This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
[11th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
Thanks I use this tool to check areas when doing quotes as often the areas go beyond boundaries and otherwise I cant get an accurate area size.
By Kathryn _ Australia on 12th April 2019
Fantastic tool thank you
By Belvedere on 6th April 2019
By SONU on 6th April 2019
Que pena usava com muita frequencia,,muito bom
By Marco Antonio Furlan on 30th March 2019
it's helpful thanks
By alger on 25th March 2019
Nykvarn Sweden 64020
On 11th March 2019
such a useful site , As an agricultural contractor I can use it to check customers are giving us the correct areas for the work we are doing . thanks for providing the web page
By Glenn Bealey on 4th March 2019
On 19th February 2019
Most useful. I really cant mention.
By RAJA on 17th February 2019
On 11th February 2019
Brilliant tool! helped me out so many times.
By Ross on 7th February 2019
verry usefull application, thanks u r genious
By salim salah from Guelma, Alger on 29th December 2018
Very good tolls
By Donaldo Genovez on 19th December 2018
que lastima, en verdad me servia mucho, lo usaba con mucha frecuencia
By Matias N on 16th December 2018
Your map is not loading address correctly. You put in your address and it keeps taking you to some other random place
By Desi on 13th December 2018
thanks for your excellent service
By Hamed Ghari on 4th December 2018
muje kuch samj nhi aya
By Pungha Ge on 18th November 2018
this is terrible can't even find a common street in Chicago IL
On 16th November 2018
it is nice
By Danny on 6th November 2018
Good for area,distance but can you not add tools for determining geographic location many thanks
By od38********com on 5th November 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1295 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: