This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
fazenda do Guido
By guido on 29/05/2016
Make an area fill in "form" that will then allow you to adjust the points while maintaining a constant area. Just an idea :D but good stuff!
Matthew - just seen your comment on the other page ... Australian Postcodes Inside a User Defined Area sounds relevant to you.
By Free Map Tools on 18/05/2016
Can you allow it to show postcodes within the marked area? great for helping businesses that are wishing to deliver to specific areas only - like me! :)
By matthew on 17/05/2016
Muy Muy bueno el programa
By Manuel on 17/05/2016
If there was an option to ignore water and only include land area, that would be great!
Juan half acre
By Roper on 05/05/2016
There should be a solution that it can measure the capacity of the building after it is measured. It would be very helpful. Other than that, this is very useful.
By alberto on 05/05/2016
By fk drina on 04/05/2016
EXCELENTE! Y SÚPER FÁCIL! GRACIAS
By LILA on 03/05/2016
MUY BUENO EL PROGRAMA, ME GUSTARIA SABER CUAL ES SU PRECISIÓN.
By ING. MARIO L on 30/04/2016
muy buen programa
se agradece a quien se tomo la molestia y el tiempo de de darlo a conocer
Muy buena aplicación.
[English]. Hi Diego. I tried to translate your comment but don't quite understand. Could you explain in more detail please?
By Free Map Tools on 21/04/2016
me parece excelente me gustaría saber como hago para recortar solo el poligono que recorte.
By diego arias on 20/04/2016
Hey, thanks for putting this site together is was a big help for me today as I could measure our farmland
By Dave Bacon on 20/04/2016
By email@example.com on 13/04/2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1015 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: