This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
This is an excellent website for close-to-accurate land area measurements.
By XAVIER DOMINIC PRASANNA on 21st November 2017
How to measure hill site area.
The area is comparative to flat field?
By Kua**ail.com on 14th November 2017
itīs a great program. but I donīt know how to use it in hillside areas
By Hugo Armando on 8th November 2017
Very helpful. Thank you.
On 29th October 2017
I am a few months of turning 60 years old and it is because of its fabulous program that it has allowed me to know our world, since I do not have the economy to travel and I am very happy for this free opportunity to enjoy your contribution. Thank you so much!...
By Chrisoss on 20th October 2017
VERY HELPFULL TOOL
By Arturo Uribe on 16th October 2017
By BIPLAB NAYAK on 4th October 2017
awesome page helped me measure roofs or buildings for work, nz
By Jesse M on 27th September 2017
On 12th September 2017
Please calculate the sq ftg of the red area market on the attached pdf thanks for this.
By Michael. on 8th September 2017
how do I print a copy of a highlighted area?
By Thicko on 26th August 2017
many thank it's work
By Sirirux k. on 21st August 2017
Its now an icon at the top right of the map.
By Free Map Tools on 18th August 2017
what happened to the full-screen option?
On 18th August 2017
It is very helpful! Great tools.
On 14th August 2017
Very useful - thank you
By Jan on 9th August 2017
Really useful. Would be nice to be able to overlay an OS map (e.g. from Bing)
By David on 9th August 2017
By Iman on 27th July 2017
Hi Chris, assuming you mean UK postcodes, this page should do what you suggest : Find UK Postcodes Inside a User Defined Area.
By Free Map Tools on 26th July 2017
It would be great to see the postcodes in the polygon
By Chris H on 26th July 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1219 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: