This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
[11th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Measure an Area
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
Sue, why is it not working?
By Free Map Tools on 15th October 2019
This tool works great to determine the size of all the greens on a golf course. I need total sq.ft. in order to write proposals of chemicals and fertilizer with some courses that do not know the total size of their greens. This allows me to get close without walk all the greens with a wheel or tape.
By Steve Hamelau on 13th October 2019
why not working now?
By Sue on 13th October 2019
Thank you very much.Very helpful site.
On 6th October 2019
Fantastic bit of kit, thanks.
By Paul on 30th September 2019
Brilliant for working out field sizes!
By John on 17th September 2019
Love the tool. Use it whenever I%u2019m in doubt about some area. Thank you
By Shahan on 4th September 2019
On 27th August 2019
As a Mathematician, your site is precisely accurate within a mean of 5%. These are, and can be used as Financial & Business Demographical outputs, transcending the necessary needs for the tax paying public. I wholeheartedly thank you & your R & D Staff for facilitating my work. Rick Parent Montreal, Quebec, Canada
By Rick Parent on 12th August 2019
thank you so much!
By Ralu on 11th August 2019
very helpful site, many thanks!
By rich on 5th August 2019
There needs to be a print function so you can have a record of your measurements.
On 9th July 2019
SR No 52/2
By Suresh BN on 24th June 2019
Acres and Square Feet are output
By Free Map Tools on 4th June 2019
Hi KEITH, Can you give some detail why?
By Free Map Tools on 2nd June 2019
This was a fine program but no more. This Map Tool has been bastardized and rendered completely useless.
By KEITH RAWLS on 2nd June 2019
can it be possible to measure in acres, square feet ?
On 31st May 2019
Which browser are you using?
By Free Map Tools on 20th May 2019
Siempre me funciona, pero hoy pongo los puntos y no me encierra el área...
On 20th May 2019
Thanks for your soporte
By Luis PĂ ramo on 17th May 2019
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1318 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)