This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
Be good to change from Area Measure to distance measure and visa versa without reloading the map. Ie; to be able to mark out the area then measure the distances from way points without loosing the area you have marked out would be very useful.
By vance on 22nd April 2018
By Mr kRA on 17th April 2018
Awesome, We know area for information, not depend on any other person or tools. Thank You for Making it.
By Prashnat Barage on 14th April 2018
By Ali on 9th April 2018
What a tool excellent very very useful
By Miriyala lakshminarayana on 6th April 2018
Very useful tool. Looking forward to version that divide plot into subplots for land use.
By Mamour on 6th April 2018
On 5th April 2018
Very good tool ...
By Hassan ahmed on 1st April 2018
By carlos lasso on 14th March 2018
Thank you. Of all the ones saying they can measure land area - this one is the best. And easiest. And most intuitive.
By Dr Steve on 12th March 2018
By Allanallen on 9th March 2018
show de bola, recomendo
By Enoque rodrigues on 8th March 2018
The cross hatch (curser) does not stay on the specific address you search for like it used to several years ago so you can't use it to search for a specific address because you don't know which house it is.
By Andy on 5th March 2018
Very useful tool. Easy calculations for acres in each paddock and how long a fence line is etc. Easy to use. I'm not very computer savvy and this was easy.
On 4th March 2018
Very Helpful !
By Morris Owen on 27th February 2018
By S Square on 17th February 2018
Great for planning future moves on Civilisation 5: Brave New World & all other DLC... add me on Steam... that's my username...
By Bobby10110100 on 7th February 2018
Very good page.
On 29th January 2018
By ARIEL on 17th January 2018
By Alfredo on 13th January 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1247 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: