This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
By S Square on 17th February 2018
Great for planning future moves on Civilisation 5: Brave New World & all other DLC... add me on Steam... that's my username...
By Bobby10110100 on 7th February 2018
Very good page.
On 29th January 2018
By ARIEL on 17th January 2018
By Alfredo on 13th January 2018
Amigos, les agradezco de sobremanera por cuanto este metodo me auyda en parte de mis trabajos. Gracias
By Alberto on 12th January 2018
By Anil on 9th January 2018
On 19th December 2017, If you measure the two areas then subtract the larger from the smaller, this should give the answer.
By Free Map Tools on 24th December 2017
Very useful, thanks!
On 23rd December 2017
I am trying to figure out how to calculate square footage of a certain area for a job. It is a baseball park that is in a star shape. I can get the total sq. footage but need to be able to take out the grass areas in side area. anyone have any clue how to do this. So basically I need to remove some of the sq. footage inside a calculated area
On 19th December 2017
nice and good for land calculation
On 18th December 2017
Área del lote de Las Palmas con margen de error
By JuĂˇnfer on 29th November 2017
By jesus on 22nd November 2017
This is an excellent website for close-to-accurate land area measurements.
By XAVIER DOMINIC PRASANNA on 21st November 2017
How to measure hill site area.
The area is comparative to flat field?
By Kua**ail.com on 14th November 2017
it´s a great program. but I don´t know how to use it in hillside areas
By Hugo Armando on 8th November 2017
Very helpful. Thank you.
On 29th October 2017
I am a few months of turning 60 years old and it is because of its fabulous program that it has allowed me to know our world, since I do not have the economy to travel and I am very happy for this free opportunity to enjoy your contribution. Thank you so much!...
By Chrisoss on 20th October 2017
VERY HELPFULL TOOL
By Arturo Uribe on 16th October 2017
By BIPLAB NAYAK on 4th October 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1232 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: