This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
[11th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
Acres and Square Feet are output
By Free Map Tools on 4th June 2019
Hi KEITH, Can you give some detail why?
By Free Map Tools on 2nd June 2019
This was a fine program but no more. This Map Tool has been bastardized and rendered completely useless.
By KEITH RAWLS on 2nd June 2019
can it be possible to measure in acres, square feet ?
On 31st May 2019
Which browser are you using?
By Free Map Tools on 20th May 2019
Siempre me funciona, pero hoy pongo los puntos y no me encierra el área...
On 20th May 2019
Thanks for your soporte
By Luis PĂ ramo on 17th May 2019
Thanks for the comments LORI
By Free Map Tools on 11th May 2019
Wow! Fantastic and useful tool. I wanted to measure specific areas of my land so I could figure how much hemp and sainfoin seed to buy. This tool worked like a charm. I was able to highlight each area and take a screen shot along with the measured data. Very practical and easy to use. Thanks so much!
By LORI on 11th May 2019
Fantastic tool works well easy to use
By Scott on 6th May 2019
Thanks I use this tool to check areas when doing quotes as often the areas go beyond boundaries and otherwise I cant get an accurate area size.
By Kathryn _ Australia on 12th April 2019
Fantastic tool thank you
By Belvedere on 6th April 2019
By SONU on 6th April 2019
Que pena usava com muita frequencia,,muito bom
By Marco Antonio Furlan on 30th March 2019
it's helpful thanks
By alger on 25th March 2019
Nykvarn Sweden 64020
On 11th March 2019
such a useful site , As an agricultural contractor I can use it to check customers are giving us the correct areas for the work we are doing . thanks for providing the web page
By Glenn Bealey on 4th March 2019
On 19th February 2019
Most useful. I really cant mention.
By RAJA on 17th February 2019
On 11th February 2019
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1305 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)