This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
On 18th October 2016
An excellent tool!
On 13th October 2016
This is great and very accurate
By Ian on 12th October 2016
BUENA HERRAMIENTA DE APOYO Y COMPLEMENTO CON GOOGLE EARTH. NESTOR
By NESTOR on 10th October 2016
Amazing and remarkably accurate tool. Best I've found in years! Thank you.
By Dennis on 8th October 2016
Robert, is this what you require? : Measure Distance on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 5th October 2016
Agradezco el apoyo, me ha orientado mucho. Como puedo cálcular distancias, si me puedes trasladar la forma de calcular distancias de un punto hacia otro, siempre de base Google Earth, Saludos
By Robert on 4th October 2016
wish it showed the distance between each point
On 4th October 2016
buenas, cuando cargo una imagen klm de google earth no me tira datos ni nada.
By Matias Torres on 3rd October 2016
By Free Map Tools on 29th September 2016
Agradezco mucho la ayuda, y felicito por el programa, saludos.
By Roberto Carlos on 29th September 2016
Area Plan Buena vista
On 28th September 2016
By jainarayan on 28th September 2016
Excellent. i like this very much. thanks
By Tamilzhan on 21st September 2016
Thanks for the comments Hugo
By Free Map Tools on 19th September 2016
Very good, usefull. It has been long I wanted to find something like this. Great ! It would be nice to export to a mobile device.
Keep up this great work !
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
By Hugo Jorge Oliveira on 18th September 2016
Excellent! Like it, this helps me a lot!
By suthan on 16th September 2016
Hi Jack, this hasn't been implemented yet.
By Free Map Tools on 5th September 2016
Under "Future Uses and Ideas" you have "Allow the area to be saved for later use". Is someone working on this?
By Jack Murray on 5th September 2016
On 31st August 2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1091 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: