This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
[11th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Measure an Area
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
Great Site tool
By Franz on 27th October 2023
On 9th October 2023
By Carding on 3rd October 2023
By Mike on 25th September 2023
land area used by parking lots - Cisco Tech Campus
On 17th September 2023
Excellent site use it all the time to gauge field sizes
On 14th September 2023
perfect measurement, excellent service
By Shunya on 29th August 2023
By L w on 19th July 2023
On 18th July 2023
road side land selling village land
By chhattishgarh dhamtari parasta on 14th July 2023
You've given me the answer to a question the Estate Agent couldn't be bothered to find. Many thanks
By Willum on 5th July 2023
I love it
On 15th June 2023
exelente paguina muchas gracias por compartirla, Bendiciones
By Marvin B on 14th June 2023
On 26th May 2023
Volkswagen Fabric Vrs. Guatemala City.
6.5M Kms square
By waga on 3rd May 2023
Hi, I hope it will help me.
By Rian on 2nd May 2023
It is helpfull
On 1st May 2023
Very fantastic and useful app.
By Amol on 22nd April 2023
This is a very useful tool. If I might make some suggestions, I would add the ability to force regular shapes. For instance, I want a map of 48 km^2 with axes of 8 km by 6 km. It would be helpful to somehow conform the selection to a rectangle with right angle corners, rather than have to eyeball it. Would it be possible to show the distance between markers so that if I place a marker, then the map indicates the distance to the previous one (say 8 km) rather than having to wait until the area is marked off, then fiddling the markers to get the area (and, therefore, the sides) right. Finally, when proceding to output the area map, is there a way to toggle rotation, so that the map I've produced comes out with horizontal & vertical edges, rather than four diagonals? Thanks. :)
By Amateur Cartographer on 19th April 2023
By Owen on 16th April 2023
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1434 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)