This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
[11th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
Your map is not loading address correctly. You put in your address and it keeps taking you to some other random place
By Desi on 13th December 2018
thanks for your excellent service
By Hamed Ghari on 4th December 2018
muje kuch samj nhi aya
By Pungha Ge on 18th November 2018
this is terrible can't even find a common street in Chicago IL
On 16th November 2018
it is nice
By Danny on 6th November 2018
Good for area,distance but can you not add tools for determining geographic location many thanks
By od38********com on 5th November 2018
BEST APP EVER
NO OPTION FOR THIS APP AWESOM..
By mayur terade on 5th November 2018
alguin puede explicar, si esa aplicacion no esta disponible con cual otra aplicacion puedo trabajar. gracias
By freddy alonso tascon niaza on 26th October 2018
The perimeter output says meters but seems more consistent with feet, which is better for me. Also, most addresses don't come up but I am able to just zoom and search. So helpful thank you for making this available.
By Michael Wells on 4th September 2018
Hi Donna, it is still available. Just click on "Load the Map" to get going...
By Free Map Tools on 24th August 2018
So sorry the area map is no longer available. I've not come across anything like it. I will miss it.
By Donna Green on 22nd August 2018
I wanted to know our country diamension map per each reqion. or how bigs is each reqion in the map
By jcen on 21st August 2018
Is was/is a good soft ware for leaning
By Sincalire on 20th August 2018
Extremely useful to me as a surveyor. I can calculate plot size very easily and accurately enough for use in reports. I use the distance between tool several times every day.
By Nick Pope on 20th August 2018
THE AREA CALCULATOR IS ENABLED
By PEDRO on 15th August 2018
very excellent software but disappointed to hear about it has been stopped its services.
By satish on 10th August 2018
es una pena, era una herramienta que la utilizaba regularmente pero ya no funcion
By José on 7th August 2018
Thankyou for this software , it is great for estimating house sizes and land sizes.
By Suz. on 3rd August 2018
This is brilliant & saved me some taxes: I was able to prove that my taxed acreage was less than the IRS was attempting to charge me -- THANKS !
By Old Yorkshireman on 26th July 2018
i punch in zip code for a city in US and it takes me to france
By gary on 18th July 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1281 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: