This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
[11th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Measure an Area
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
By Nasir Hussain on 13th August 2020
Amazing tool - thank you.
By Johanna Headley on 30th July 2020
Very good tool
By Ted on 23rd July 2020
This is a great tool thanks
On 15th July 2020
not showing the length each point to point
By Hari on 12th July 2020
Hi Neil, try a place name instead of a postcode.
By Free Map Tools on 30th June 2020
Hi I am trying to use this mapping service but the map is not showing after
putting search post code
By Neil Mckelvey on 30th June 2020
Excellent tool solved many problems
By Dr Sunil Kumar on 28th June 2020
Thank you so much for this tool. really useful.
By Photics on 25th June 2020
Thank you - so useful
By Kevin on 18th June 2020
could you have a option for us measurements? ( feet, miles)
By ron s on 11th June 2020
By blv verma on 10th June 2020
Hello. Have you thought about using AWS as I am sure the costs would benefit you considerably
By John on 26th May 2020
Super app thanks.....
By NARESH on 24th May 2020
Area map tool is Great, Excellent work.
By anon on 26th April 2020
while zoom in measurement is different than zoom out what is the right way to measure accuret
By r v bathe on 12th March 2020
omg this is amazing
On 11th February 2020
In trying to be compliant to my late father's will, I moved over to his old property but, its grounds' size being to much for my and my wife's needs, this tool helps me not only calculate the spare area to be sold out, but also to estimate its market value based on this important info alone. Thank you ever so much!
By "Maringaense" on 9th February 2020
Ariya napna hai
By bhujbal yadaw on 9th February 2020
but be good if we could measure area f map on full screen mode...can this be done?
Also be good if we could print it out
By a J on 7th January 2020
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1344 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)