This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
This is amazing. Very accurate!
By alan on 19th February 2017
By ME on 18th February 2017
Rivoluzionare l'agricoltura x dosi ettaro....fenomeno!
By Ame on 10th February 2017
can i print
By putri on 7th February 2017
By Prasad on 7th February 2017
By Mata on 6th February 2017
On 5th February 2017
Wallace Ranch Chardonnay Map
By Lwallace on 1st February 2017
area totale 450
By Marco Fontanelli on 31st January 2017
By Shiva on 31st January 2017
Hi, you can do a print screen then print from there. You can also switch to Full Screen before you do this.
By Free Map Tools on 27th January 2017
How to print the calculated area?
By Ademir Francisco on 26th January 2017
Muito boa esta ferramenta. Uso direto para o meu trabalho.
On 26th January 2017
By ahmad sher on 23rd January 2017
Es de gran utilidad, gracias.
By Alvaro Hdez de México on 22nd January 2017
2017 PWC area
By MJB on 14th January 2017
Is there a way to have two saved "how far can I travel" areas laid over each other to identify the overlapping portion?
By JMS on 13th January 2017
DSE GRAN AYUDA...GRACIAS
By JVCV-HUAROHIRI on 10th January 2017
Summer Lakes Acreage
On 5th January 2017
I wish you could deselect certain areas
By puddles on 5th January 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1148 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: