This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
By Roper on 05/05/2016
There should be a solution that it can measure the capacity of the building after it is measured. It would be very helpful. Other than that, this is very useful.
By alberto on 05/05/2016
By fk drina on 04/05/2016
EXCELENTE! Y SÚPER FÁCIL! GRACIAS
By LILA on 03/05/2016
MUY BUENO EL PROGRAMA, ME GUSTARIA SABER CUAL ES SU PRECISIÓN.
By ING. MARIO L on 30/04/2016
muy buen programa
se agradece a quien se tomo la molestia y el tiempo de de darlo a conocer
Muy buena aplicación.
[English]. Hi Diego. I tried to translate your comment but don't quite understand. Could you explain in more detail please?
By Free Map Tools on 21/04/2016
me parece excelente me gustaría saber como hago para recortar solo el poligono que recorte.
By diego arias on 20/04/2016
Hey, thanks for putting this site together is was a big help for me today as I could measure our farmland
By Dave Bacon on 20/04/2016
By firstname.lastname@example.org on 13/04/2016
FINCA LA ROCA EN GUATEQUE CORDOBA
By FINCA LA ROCA on 11/04/2016
EXCELENTE HERRAMIENTA, LOS FELICITO POR SU PROFESIONALISMO,
SOY javiercitonet@ desde Xalapa, Veracruz-México
By j@vi hdez on 10/04/2016
Is there a way to map put property on the map and then and a basic shape to show a buildings sq footage?
Great Project ,
By meklit Elfiyos on 06/04/2016
1.1 acra scotland farm
By jonathan lin on 05/04/2016
Hi Sallenet, can you expand? We are always keen to hear feedback we can act on.
By Free Map Tools on 30/03/2016
This is great, but it is missing something more..
By Sallenet on 30/03/2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1007 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: