This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
I like my village
By pappu Prakash sharma on 30th April 2017
The search function is now on the map itself near the top left.
By Free Map Tools on 29th April 2017
search section is missing
By Mike on 28th April 2017
By LUIS ORTIZ REGUER on 26th April 2017
Excelente aplicación, una herramienta muy interesante
By Jorge Jaramillo on 20th April 2017
muy buena pagina, saludos
By Logos, S.A de C.V on 18th April 2017
By Bashir Ahmad on 17th April 2017
By TareqAli on 14th April 2017
By FĂˇbio Manja on 10th April 2017
Muito boa ferramenta! Obrigado!
By A. Soares on 6th April 2017
Hi Brendan, it is available on this page : Australian Postcodes Inside a User Defined Area.
By Free Map Tools on 20th March 2017
This tool is very helpful - Even more helpful would be if you could combine "find aus postcodes within a radius" and "area calculator" to make "find aus postcodes within a poly line area"!
By Brendan on 17th March 2017
this is very important and helping instrument.
thanks to creators
By Wahed bd on 15th March 2017
This is very useful... Thanks
By Javed Iqbal on 14th March 2017
Thank you so much. It's such a great help for my project.
By Future Civil Engineer on 12th March 2017
On 10th March 2017
Hi Thoams, it sounds like you are measuring distances. If so, please use Measure Distance on a Map. This page can measure areas and the perimeter of the area. When the area has two sides the perimeter measurement will show twice the distance between the two points.
By Free Map Tools on 27th February 2017
By measuring rugby pitch and tennis court. The results of this tool seem to double the actual dimensions. Would it be nicer to include factoring to correct this? Thanks.
By Thoams on 26th February 2017
This is amazing. Very accurate!
By alan on 19th February 2017
By ME on 18th February 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1166 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: