This planimeter tool can be used to measure the enclosed area of a defined polyline on a map.
Measure an Area
Read KML (Beta)
To use the area calculator tool:
- Zoom and pan the map to find the area of interest
- Click on the map to place a vertices for the polyline
- Click as many time as necessary to define the polyline
The area enclosed will them be output in square meters and square kilometers
You can click the [Delete Last Point] button if you make a mistake or click [Clear All] points to remove all points from the map and start again.
You can also reposition the markers after they have been placed on the map by dragging and dropping them.
To draw a new area click the [Start a New Area] button or press Alt+n
The area calculator tool allows you to find out the area that is enclosed inside a closed polyline overlaid on a map.
Future Uses and Ideas
- Allow the user to change the colour of the polylines and area shading (including transparent)
- Allow the area to be saved for later use
- Export to KML option
- 17th June 2015 - Markers now show their lat/lng when you hover over them
- 18th December 2014 - Total area is now calculated
- 23rd March 2014 - Added Hectares output
- 6th August 2013 - Issue with perimeter output fixed
- 21st February 2013 - Added square feet output
- 8th January 2012 - Upgraded to Google Maps API V3 and some new features
- 20th July 2010 - Added crosshairs and option to switch on/off crosshairs
- 17th June 2010 - Added upload KML option (beta)
- 2nd June 2010 - Moved the scale control to the top of map to stop conflict with Google Search bar
- 2nd February 2010 - Added perimeter output in meters and kilometers
- 25th March 2008 - Draggable markers, ability to click inside polygon and output in acres added
- 26th June 2007 - Basic area calculation added
- 24th June 2007 - Page created
Previous Comments For This Page
Prathipadu land details
By Ashok on 11/02/2016
muy buen programa me sirve bastante
Thanks for the suggestion Khios. This has been added to the Future Uses and Ideas list.
By Free Map Tools on 05/02/2016
May it be possible to export the data to a kml in a future version? Awesome tool
By Khios on 05/02/2016
save image - press print screen sysrq button past to paint,ms word exal etc
By LALSING C. VAGHELA on 05/02/2016
Accurate down to the foot.
By hvgeox on 03/02/2016
I wish you could copy and past area to compare. But what a nice instrument for novice like me.
mapa del Humaedal de Huasao
By Jadiye on 03/02/2016
By cuadro n1 on 01/02/2016
Would be great to be able to print a "report". Just a simple format that shows map and dimensions in a professional way...
By Marcos on 01/02/2016
Excelente ferramenta, muito útil e fácil de oprar
By adriano on 01/02/2016
Excellent tool, well recommended, I'm going to definitely use it again.
una excelente herramienta pase anos buscando algo asi
By byron on 31/01/2016
By Susan on 26/01/2016
Excelente herramienta para cálculo de áreas. Soy agrónomo y me facilita mucho mi trabajo. Gracias y sigan mejorando.
By Antero on 25/01/2016
Excellent tool. Thank you so much.
By Clare on 20/01/2016
By marchall on 20/01/2016
GEORGETH, you can use the full screen option then use a screen capture tool to capture and save the image such as the Snipping Tool for Windows.
By Free Map Tools on 17/01/2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 962 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: