Find UK Postcodes Inside a User Defined Area
This is a map of the UK where you can define an area and then search to return all postcodes inside the area.
UK Postcode Inside Area Map
Show UK County Borders? Auto-zoom after each point added?
Upload KML File
List of Postcodes found...
- To define an area, click on the map to draw the edges of your search area
- Draw the area in a clockwise direction
- You can readjust markers once they have been draw by dragging them to a new location
- Once you have an area defined, click the [Search For Postcodes] button. After a short while the postcodes will be displayed on the map and also in listed in the textbox below the map
Other Points to Note
- The search will take a long time when you are searching a larger area or a densely populated area
- You can clear the map by clicking the [Clear All Points] button
- You can switch to a full screen view by clicking the [Full Screen] button
- Click [Zoom to Fit] to get you area to fit on the map as best possible
- Click [Search For Outcode Postcodes] if you only wish to find the outcode postcodes (SW1,DE2,BT12 etc...)
- You can remove the last point added to the area by clicking the [Delete Last Point] button. You can also remove an area end-point by clicking on the endpoint
Allow KML (polygon) upload to draw the area
- 12th April 2021 : Version 3.4 : Bug Fix. KML upload was not working
- 29th August 2019 : Version 3.3 - New option : Upload KML file to pre-lod the area
- 5th March 2019 : Version 3.2 - New option : Auto-zoom after each point added
- 15th January 2019 : Version 3.1 - Polygon is now editable
- 12th January 2019 : Version 3.0 - Changed to Leaflet Maps
- 11th May 2015 : Version 2.2 - Updates to the instructions for use on this page
- 31st May 2014 : Version 2.2 - Minor updates to code
- 21st January 2014 : Version 2.1 - Added option to show UK county borders
- 5th June 2013 : Version 2 - Now returns full postcodes
- 18st January 2013 : Version 1 - Initial Version
Comments For This Page
Hi, I need to combine two separate functions currently offered on this platform. Firstly I need to create a radius around a UK postcode. Then I need to customise this by removing/reshaping certain parts of the radius to exclude certain areas, but still retaining the reset of the circular radius previously defined. For e.g. firstly define a 3 mile radius but then cut the righthand side of the radius to remove certain areas, but again retaining the radius on the left.
By Branden on 6th December 2021
Hi Pavel. Just tested a KML and it worked ok for us. Where has your KML be exported from? Which application?
By Free Map Tools on 1st September 2021
Great tool, but can you check, if KML upload is working? Tried to upload a *.kml a couple times, no luck.
By Pavel on 1st September 2021
Sarah, have a look at Find UK Postcodes Inside a Radius.
By Free Map Tools on 31st August 2021
Fantastic little tool. What would be really nice is the ability to put in a location, specify a radius and be able to list the postcodes within that area.
By Sarah on 31st August 2021
Really great tool here. Works well and very easy to use.
I'm doing some work on properties within zero-emission zones and this has turned a potentially painful experience into a breeze.
Thank you so much!
By Pete on 24th May 2021
KML Upload is working again.
By Free Map Tools on 12th April 2021
Awesome site with great functionality at the perfect price! However for some reason KML upload on the UK postcodes inside user defined area page seems to have stopped working in the last month. I have asked a few friends to try it and used KML files that definitely worked in the past.. I would really appreciate if you can find a resolution to this..! Thanks again!
On 9th April 2021
Hi, it sounds like the search many be too large or the number of results too high. Can you reduce the search and see if it works then? If it does, try splitting the search in to separate smaller searches and combine the results at the end.
By Free Map Tools on 22nd March 2021
Is there a reason why mine isn't working to generate the postcodes. I have managed to successfully generate them once but on 6 other occasions the page just says "please wait" and never generates - and I have waited days!! I have tried both chrome and safari but do you have any tips?
On 15th March 2021
This is a great tool! :)
I would also really like sector (the outcode areas are too big... and individual postcodes return thousands of results).
@Ian - re "Hello, it it possible to export the postcode sectors only that appear in the plotted area - E.g NR14 8, NR14 7, IP7 7?"
- did you ever find a script/solution for this?
By Anne on 6th July 2020
By Chris on 10th June 2020
Chris, you are able to use the [User Menu] at the top right to save an area. This will keep it stored in you browser cache for a while. You can also Export Data to export the saved data as an XML file. The XML can be imported in future to reload an area on this page.
By Free Map Tools on 29th May 2020
Chris, your query has been noted. Leave this with us...
By Free Map Tools on 26th May 2020
Would it be possible to allow KML output as well as input? This would allow me to re-upload and tweak a previously exported area.
By Chris on 25th May 2020
Hi Ian, sorry that's not possible on this page. You may need to use some scripting to manipulate and group the results.
By Free Map Tools on 27th November 2019
Hello, it it possible to export the postcode sectors only that appear in the plotted area - E.g NR14 8, NR14 7, IP7 7?
By Ian on 27th November 2019
Gary, a Download CSV button has been added below the Output CSV textbox.
By Free Map Tools on 22nd October 2019
Thsi is a great tool, is it possible to export the postcodes into a Excel or CSV File?
By Gary on 21st October 2019
Hi! Really great tool you've written here - thanks! There appears to be an issue with drawing an area though where waypoints 'spawn' each time they are edited i.e. after drawing the initial polygon, when you add more waypoints, rather than getting just one additional waypoint, you get several. Would be great if you can fix :) Happy to send a video if that helps. Thanks again.
By Mike on 15th August 2019
Showing the most recent 20 out of 85 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)