Find UK Postcodes Inside a User Defined Area
This is a map of the UK where you can define an area and then search to return all postcodes inside the area.
UK Postcode Inside Area Map
Show UK County Borders? Auto-zoom after each point added?
Upload KML File
List of Postcodes found...
- To define an area, click on the map to draw the edges of your search area
- Draw the area in a clockwise direction
- You can readjust markers once they have been draw by dragging them to a new location
- Once you have an area defined, click the [Search For Postcodes] button. After a short while the postcodes will be displayed on the map and also in listed in the textbox below the map
Other Points to Note
- The search will take a long time when you are searching a larger area or a densely populated area
- You can clear the map by clicking the [Clear All Points] button
- You can switch to a full screen view by clicking the [Full Screen] button
- Click [Zoom to Fit] to get you area to fit on the map as best possible
- Click [Search For Outcode Postcodes] if you only wish to find the outcode postcodes (SW1,DE2,BT12 etc...)
- You can remove the last point added to the area by clicking the [Delete Last Point] button. You can also remove an area end-point by clicking on the endpoint
Allow KML (polygon) upload to draw the area
- 29th August 2019 : Version 3.3 - New option : Upload KML file to pre-lod the area
- 5th March 2019 : Version 3.2 - New option : Auto-zoom after each point added
- 15th January 2019 : Version 3.1 - Polygon is now editable
- 12th January 2019 : Version 3.0 - Changed to Leaflet Maps
- 11th May 2015 : Version 2.2 - Updates to the instructions for use on this page
- 31st May 2014 : Version 2.2 - Minor updates to code
- 21st January 2014 : Version 2.1 - Added option to show UK county borders
- 5th June 2013 : Version 2 - Now returns full postcodes
- 18st January 2013 : Version 1 - Initial Version
Comments For This Page
This is a great tool! :)
I would also really like sector (the outcode areas are too big... and individual postcodes return thousands of results).
@Ian - re "Hello, it it possible to export the postcode sectors only that appear in the plotted area - E.g NR14 8, NR14 7, IP7 7?"
- did you ever find a script/solution for this?
By Anne on 6th July 2020
By Chris on 10th June 2020
Chris, you are able to use the [User Menu] at the top right to save an area. This will keep it stored in you browser cache for a while. You can also Export Data to export the saved data as an XML file. The XML can be imported in future to reload an area on this page.
By Free Map Tools on 29th May 2020
Chris, your query has been noted. Leave this with us...
By Free Map Tools on 26th May 2020
Would it be possible to allow KML output as well as input? This would allow me to re-upload and tweak a previously exported area.
By Chris on 25th May 2020
Hi Ian, sorry that's not possible on this page. You may need to use some scripting to manipulate and group the results.
By Free Map Tools on 27th November 2019
Hello, it it possible to export the postcode sectors only that appear in the plotted area - E.g NR14 8, NR14 7, IP7 7?
By Ian on 27th November 2019
Gary, a Download CSV button has been added below the Output CSV textbox.
By Free Map Tools on 22nd October 2019
Thsi is a great tool, is it possible to export the postcodes into a Excel or CSV File?
By Gary on 21st October 2019
Hi! Really great tool you've written here - thanks! There appears to be an issue with drawing an area though where waypoints 'spawn' each time they are edited i.e. after drawing the initial polygon, when you add more waypoints, rather than getting just one additional waypoint, you get several. Would be great if you can fix :) Happy to send a video if that helps. Thanks again.
By Mike on 15th August 2019
make it usable ie postcode miles enter
On 9th August 2019
That's great - thanks!
By Tom on 7th March 2019
Tom, an option has been added to allow you to stop this. There is a new tick box below the map
By Free Map Tools on 5th March 2019
Is it possible to disable the automatic zoom to fit after every click?
By Tom H on 5th March 2019
Steph, we will add this to a Future Ideas list.
By Free Map Tools on 12th December 2018
Hello. Can the tool be modified so that it recognises KML uploads?
By Steph on 10th December 2018
hi great tool. It would be handy if you could download the coordinates and re upload later so you can make adjustments to the area.
By Gary on 13th September 2018
Robert, sorry this is not possible.
By Free Map Tools on 13th March 2018
Great web tool. Any way of determining how many households are in the search?
By Robert on 13th March 2018
Hi Mark - Good to hear you found it.
By Free Map Tools on 15th February 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 75 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)