How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Seattle, Wa Usa and London Heathrow, Uk
- How Far is it Between Dallas Texas, Usa and Nice, France
- How Far is it Between Inverness, Scotland and Reading, Berkshire
- How Far is it Between Toronto, Ontario and Madrid, Spain
- How Far is it Between Holyhead, Wales and Los Angeles California, Usa
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
There is a toggle switch below the map to change from Km to miles.
By Free Map Tools on 3rd July 2020
how do I chage from kils to miles
On 2nd July 2020
Hi Graham, you could try : Measure Distance on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 1st July 2020
Very useful tool but, like my GPS, it wants to decide its own route between places. I would like to be able to dictate the route taken.
By Graham on 1st July 2020
Would be great if we could simply drop pins on a map or enter GPS co-ords so this tool could also be used on the water
By Jeff H -Australia on 29th June 2020
My Nan had relatives that she use to go and see there.
By Chloe Cave on 28th June 2020
Site has stopped calculating the distance. Not sure what's going on! I see an early post on June 4th with same results.
On 8th June 2020
maybe it should have the towns aswell
By anonymous on 8th June 2020
Victor, Grenada has now been corrected.
By Free Map Tools on 6th June 2020
I type Grenada and the directions come up for London England. I tried Grenada, West Indies, Grenada, Grenada, Caribbean.
By Victor on 5th June 2020
Is the site working properly?! I have entered 2 postcodes and wanted distance in miles, but nothing seems to appear!
On 5th June 2020
it doesn't show the distance in miles, otherwise it's a very good website
By anonymous on 4th June 2020
I had a successfull result really quickly. I have added this enjoyable and fact producing app directly to my homescreen. Very good to have the options of distance in miles or killometers. Lots of information now on the internet only giving out measurements expressed using the metric system. I give this app a full 10/10 commendable marks. With Distinction
By COLIN. on 31st May 2020
How Far is it Between Gainesville, Florida USA and Kennedy Space Center, Florida USA has been fixed.
By Free Map Tools on 31st May 2020
Gainesville, Florida USA to Kennedy Space Center, Florida USA... 4243.154 miles???? and Kennedy Space Center, Florida USA is located in England now?
On 30th May 2020
Hallo,I can do it
I am so happy.
By AMI SHINSE on 19th May 2020
I love this program . I race pigeons and it tells me the distance between towns and race stations in a straight line . Thank you
By Don on 2nd May 2020
This is great, i was always looking for something like this.it would also be better if it included by sea.eg:Auckland(NZ) to Melbourne(Australia), as there is no land travel
By Keith.Shane on 26th April 2020
A Nicol , 15th April 2020. ¿ Qué pasa ?
Es muy facil
By M. Drapeau on 20th April 2020
This is awesome
By Pena Loft on 19th April 2020
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1641 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)