How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two places. Input the two places names and find out the distance between them. The direct disance and driving distance are both displayed. To start type the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Input the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the Show button.
The recommended format to use is [City, Country] i.e. [City(comma)(space)Country].
Once a result is returned, you can copy a link to use as a permanent referance back to the result or to send on to others.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two places.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Bristol, England and Cancun, Mexico
- How Far is it Between Ottawa - Ontario, Canada and Dubai, Uae
- How Far is it Between Aberdeen, Scotland and Glasgow, Scotland
- How Far is it Between Mumbai, India and Vancouver, Canada
- How Far is it Between Toronto, Canada and Inverness, Scotland
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
Elevation is wrong
On 28th November 2021
Vineet, please get in contact to discuss.
By Free Map Tools on 18th October 2021
Is there a api for this that we can call to get the distance between two lat longs?
By Vineet on 18th October 2021
I'm trying to print just the map and finding it way above my pay grade. I keep getting loads of text......
On 13th October 2021
Far too complicated
On 8th October 2021
i dont like this
By hollie on 8th October 2021
Barrie, Ontario has been corrected
By Free Map Tools on 22nd September 2021
Entered Keswick, Ontario, Canada to Barrie, Ontario, Canada. Kswick was correct but Barrie was in Alaska !?!?
By John Martin on 21st September 2021
GREAT WORKED FIRST TIME LOVE IT
By ANDREW on 27th July 2021
To find the distance between two towns
By Daniel on 19th July 2021
not useful at all when calculating distances to school as it shows very wrong calculation
By Marianna on 9th July 2021
BEST WEBSITE EVER! so helpful and full of statistics, love it
By Maya D%u2019Alessandro on 1st July 2021
An excellent, useful & easy to use tool
By Knight Templar Deus vult on 30th June 2021
Thanks for providing this tool!
On 13th June 2021
Please try : How Far is it Between Mount Gerizim and Kafr Kanna, Israel
By Free Map Tools on 26th April 2021
Every time I try to get it to calculate the distance from Mt Gerizim (Jabal Jirzim) to Canna of Galilee (Kafr Kanna) it gives me this: "Sorry, Kafir Kanna is not on our system at the current time;" and yet it is clearly on the map you have. I don't get it. Please help.
By Scott on 23rd April 2021
Working great. Very helpful.
On 21st April 2021
https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-minneapolis_-mn-usa-and-duluth_-mn-usa.htm says 136 miles.
By Free Map Tools on 18th April 2021
I checked the as-the-crow-flies distance between Minneapolis, Minnesota and Duluth, Minnesota. This site says it's 218 miles. That's interesting because it's a 160 mile drive. Must be a drunk crow.
On 16th April 2021
On 19th March 2021
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1701 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)