How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two places. Input the two places names and find out the distance between them. The direct disance and driving distance are both displayed. To start type the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Input the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the Show button.
The recommended format to use is [City, Country] i.e. [City(comma)(space)Country].
Once a result is returned, you can copy a link to use as a permanent referance back to the result or to send on to others.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two places.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Seoul, South Korea and Manchester Airport, England
- How Far is it Between Mexico City, Mexico and Dallas Texas, Usa
- How Far is it Between Devon, Uk and Milan, Italy
- How Far is it Between England, Uk and Cardiff, Wales
- How Far is it Between Cabo San Lucas, Mexico and Sheffield, England
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
Works well for me. Thanks
By AA on 17th September 2023
On 5th September 2023
Doesn't work.Can't load.
On 5th September 2023
I love this app
By Maanay R Shah on 2nd September 2023
Excellent page for insurance purposes.
On 28th August 2023
Useless on my iphone
On 21st August 2023
Cap Griz Nez has been corrected.
By Free Map Tools on 12th August 2023
Absolutely useless. I entered Dungeness, England to Cap Griz Nez, France and got the distance from Dungeness to Eastbourne!
By Julius Marstrand on 12th August 2023
To add to my last comment. Ref radius around a point. Apart from incorrectly changing the value you entered, the distance is correct along the line of longitude from the point you entered but the further you follow the circle circumference in latitude the greater the error becomes.
By Paul on 13th June 2023
Cannot get distance by road despite entering exactly the two places it worked before. This has happened before but was corrected by restarting the app. This time multiple restarts still will not provide distance by road.
By RonY on 6th June 2023
This is exactly the app'I have been searching for.The 'As the crow flies' used for calculating zHam radio contact distances. ten out of ten....
On 18th May 2023
Distance from knocknagashel to lyracrumpane co Kerry
On 15th May 2023
On 13th May 2023
Phil, have a look at Measure Distance on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 12th May 2023
I'm sure it was possible to click points on the map and build up a route manually at one time
By Phil on 9th May 2023
On 7th May 2023
It will be helpful to know the shortest / quickest-routes with travelling times as well as the fastest routes with travelling times between places.
By Dr. S. Mukhopadhyay. Nottingha on 1st May 2023
I wish this tool would allow me to input coordinates. Trying to figure out how close Canada is to Russia. Otherwise, it is a great tool.
By Blaze on 19th April 2023
This tool has been working great for years. Now all of a sudden it doesn't give the land transport route, just as the crow flies. Ideal if I was a crow!
By Mr Nigel J Duncan on 11th April 2023
I like this site, but lately it hasn't worked correctly. I but in two destinations that the program acknowledges, but when I hit show, it takes me to a different Country.
On 31st March 2023
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1755 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)