How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
[15th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Blackpool, England and Prague, Czech Republic
- How Far is it Between Hamburg, Germany and London, England
- How Far is it Between Hong Kong, Hong Kong and London Heathrow, Uk
- How Far is it Between Benghazi, Libya and Madrid, Spain
- How Far is it Between Holyhead, Wales and Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
I use this site regularly to visualize ham radio contacts. It's just not the same without auto-populating city names backed by Google Maps. I would certainly be open to donating money to help keep the site running. I hope it can get back to normal soon!
By Chris R. on 17th July 2018
When or how can the distance as crow flys measurement to be reintroduced ?
By Paul on 17th July 2018
Kim, paid for .... is in consideration. Can you detail what function(s) are now missing or not working as well please? We are considering all options but want to keep on-the-mark as to why people use this tool and what they find useful.
By Free Map Tools on 17th July 2018
Thanks it was handy to use this page!
By Learned man on 16th July 2018
This has been a very useful map tool in my work place. I use it regularly. I have looked to find something similar but cannot. I need a map tool that measures 'As the Crow Flies' is anyone knows of anything? Has there been any talk about paying a subscription for this website to keep it up and running?
By Kim on 16th July 2018
What did you change? No longer works by putting in City names! Pretty much useless now! Will look for a new app.
By Penny on 15th July 2018
What has happened? The wheels have fallen off. I can no longer obtain distances in Sydney Australia?? I use this map tool every week as I am a courier and it normally self populates the Sydney suburbs after the first few letters. Now there is nothing. Please advise.
By LILY POZEGA on 13th July 2018
Had to make alternate plans for a trip, Needed the miles for the rerouted portion,. I%u2019ll let you know how accurate this tool was . But hey Thanks in advance , I%u2019ve at least got some idea,
By TT. From GA on 7th July 2018
SAVES OUR COMPANY LOTS OF TIME. THANKS
By DYNAMIC TOWING on 6th July 2018
Excellent! Can't do without it. Thank you
By Z on 5th July 2018
By poopybutt on 26th June 2018
Thank you, it is a very usefull tool.
By Álvaro on 21st June 2018
Very useful tool. Thanks.
By Jim, Nottingham. on 18th June 2018
I don't see where it tells the speed that they are using to calculate the distance, can someone help?
By br on 15th June 2018
The best. Can't live without it.
By Irvine on 9th June 2018
Rob h, no.
By Free Map Tools on 6th June 2018
is there a multiple upload option as with the postcodes
By Rob h on 6th June 2018
Bob, I believe you were reading km. 16,000 km / 10,3000 miles.
By Free Map Tools on 7th May 2018
This tool doesn't work. The Earths circumference is about 24900 miles, so the distance between any two points should NEVER exceed half this value (12450 miles). Yet, when I map from Nome, Alaska to Antarctica, I get over 16,000 miles. Fail.
By Bob on 4th May 2018
By wgm on 14th April 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1482 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: