How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Leicester, England and Frankfurt, Germany
- How Far is it Between Brazilia, Brazil and Heathrow, Airport London
- How Far is it Between London, England and Brisbane Qld, Australia
- How Far is it Between Barcelona, Spain and Houston Tx, Usa
- How Far is it Between Manchester Airport, England and Vienna, Austria
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
By HEMANT KUMAR on 15th January 2018
Aerial Distance is 1 to 3 KM
On 12th January 2018
By DEVENDER KUNDRA on 9th January 2018
Thanks, it is a useful tool.
By AARUSH RANJAN on 8th January 2018
By Alan on 5th January 2018
Very helpful in guidance from A to B also able to select non motorway routes.
On 3rd January 2018
By Sanatan on 2nd January 2018
Distance from Home to DPS Rohini for child name Inayat Kaur
By Inayat Kaur on 30th December 2017
By HITESH on 28th December 2017
By travelvietnamtipsandguides on 26th December 2017
Could you please provide Desktop Application for MacBook so that I can use? Pasting each address like this takes much time for me :(. I have around 30K address to measure Crow flies distance
By Hang on 24th December 2017
Thanks. this is what I waa looking for.
By HGA on 20th December 2017
Brilliant. Simple to use and very visual.Thank you
By Pam on 5th December 2017
thanks. this is what I wanted to know.
On 4th December 2017
Can you provide some examples?
By Free Map Tools on 29th November 2017
Results differ greatly from Google Maps results.
On 29th November 2017
Thanks, great tool, help with the logbook and keep the road cops of my back
On 28th November 2017
Its nice to have this kind of tool! Thanks november 28 2017
On 28th November 2017
nice distance calculator thank u very much.
On 23rd November 2017
A good basic tool for measuring road distances. However, the suggested driving times have to be taken with a large pinch of salt. They might be correct when roads are completely clear but at peak hours and in congested conditions they are in fantasy land.
On 9th November 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1454 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: