How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Exeter, Devon Uk and New York City, Usa
- How Far is it Between Birmingham, Uk and Copenhagen, Denmark
- How Far is it Between Cancun, Mexico and Brussels, Belgium
- How Far is it Between Paris, France and Vienna, Austria
- How Far is it Between Portsmouth, England and Auckland, New Zealand
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
i think that this is a great website because we are doing a school project and we need to know the distance between the city so this was awesome because all we had to do was type in the place that we were leaving and then type were you are going and that is really easy
thank you, what a great tool to have on my pooter
By Douglas on 22/05/2016
Just what I needed.this rocks!
Its cool helps
By fatboy on 15/05/2016
Vero helpful thanks
By Des on 23/04/2016
this is very good :)
By jade on 13/04/2016
Thanks for the feedback. I think the crow got lost on its way to Birmingham! This has not been fixed.
By Free Map Tools on 13/04/2016
If I enter the two endpoints as London (UK) and Birmingham (UK), the crow flies 263.812km, which is further than if it had followed the more winding course of the road (202.371km).
The road journey looks reasonable, starting at Charing Cross underground station and finishing at a Serbian Orthodox church near Aston University.
The crow starts its journey from the Palace of Westminster but ends it on Market Street in Huddersfield
I think the crow should be advised to make its journey between the same start and end points as the car if the distances are being displayed to the nearest metre.
Ok I've found the distance where does it tell me the compass reading
By Mahmud on 06/04/2016
Methanol Refinery distance from new neighborhood development
Quick and easy to use.
Thank you ;)
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1269 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: