How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Auckland, New Zealand and Budapest, Hungary
- How Far is it Between Beijing, China and Sydney, Australia
- How Far is it Between London, Uk and Nice, France
- How Far is it Between Delhi, India and Tokyo, Japan
- How Far is it Between York, England and Barcelona, Spain
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
miles out, rubbish
By tom on 20th July 2019
Easily the best how far between site.
By Peter on 5th July 2019
Basra, Iraq has been corrected. Thanks for the feedback.
By Free Map Tools on 19th June 2019
Basrah, Iraq is correct, but Basra, Iraq is somewhere in the middle of New Orleans?
On 18th June 2019
Before, searching "Saint Martin" and "Sint Maarten" sent you to these two territories in the Caribbean. Now, it shows up in mainland France and Netherlands in Europe, respectively...
On 3rd June 2019
Seems to work decently enough. When I measured the distances in England and Scotland, I ended up in the US a couple of times, before I tried putting in "UK" at the end of the place name instead of "Scotland" or "England".
When it's been perfected, this site will be great!
By Embla on 31st May 2019
what about the plain... how many miles is it if you take a plane?
On 23rd May 2019
How Far is it Between Delta, BC and Anglemont, BC should now work. This page does expect the place to be in the format City, Country so it can be tricky to pinpoint locations anywhere in the world when not provided in this format.
By Free Map Tools on 11th May 2019
This page is not working correctly. Distance from Delta BC to Anglemont BC and it gives me a straight line to the USA.
On 11th May 2019
I hope I get a good grade, so all my grades go up... :)
By Thanos on 6th May 2019
this used to be good telling me how far something was away from a place in a house search, now it tells me no such address,this is no longer any good
By Bri_ jms on 20th April 2019
The distance as he crow flies in mi
Les does not appear to work
By John williams on 6th April 2019
Excellent and fun tool to use as a Cber amateur radio operator and shortwave radio listener to find out the Milage on the signals coming to your location highly recommend. I tell all my fellow radio operators about it
By Steve WR-929 on 28th March 2019
Grainau has been fixed
By Free Map Tools on 28th March 2019
Grainau, Germany shows up in Wisconsin
By John on 28th March 2019
bad database, cannot find starting address on road correctly, off by a half-mile
By DR Moran on 2nd March 2019
Davenport location has now been fixed
By Free Map Tools on 27th February 2019
Whenever I enter Davenport, IA, it seems to put a marker in Rockford, IL.
By AA on 26th February 2019
How are you able to plot the lines on different tiles/map and marker on the same map?
which library did you use?
Please help me out at your earliest. It's urgent.
On 20th February 2019
typed in fargo, ND. Gave Muskogee, OK. very disappointing. 3/10.
On 18th February 2019
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1550 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)