How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Vienna, Austria and Rome, Italy
- How Far is it Between Miami, Florida Usa and Reading, Berkshire
- How Far is it Between Budapest, Hungary and New York City, Usa
- How Far is it Between Florence, Italy and Dallas Texas, Usa
- How Far is it Between Birmingham, Uk and Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
If you like this, you will like https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.malton.offlinelocationfinder&hl=en
On 25th June 2017
looking for something like this nice!
By thanks on 25th June 2017
Please adding the direct heading to the point of interest (city)
On 24th June 2017
I hadn't but have now. Brilliant, exactly what I wanted. Thanks
By Craig on 24th June 2017
Craig, have you tried : Measure Distance on a Map?
By Free Map Tools on 23rd June 2017
I am a sailor and use the site regularly for distances as the crow flies across seas - I think that it great. How about adding a nautical miles measurement? Cheers
By Craig on 21st June 2017
Hi, what start and end locations did you use?
By Free Map Tools on 16th June 2017
It gave me totally wrong directions.
On 16th June 2017
Will only calculate distance between cities and not towns.
By Valerie Knipe on 15th June 2017
By ... on 15th June 2017
On 12th June 2017
you can't get there from here
On 7th June 2017
Dave, you can find the answer here : https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-rugby_-england,-united-kingdom-and-blackpool_-england,-united-kingdom.htm?units=KM
By Free Map Tools on 5th June 2017
Too much going on here, I only wanted to know the distance in miles from Rugby to Blackpool
By Dave Allen on 4th June 2017
On 1st June 2017
I like and use this a lot
By Thomas on 28th May 2017
it good and easy
By adeel ahmed qadri on 25th May 2017
This software is great except that you need to be able to drag the road line to different routes to check the mileage or have it show multiple routes.
By Randy Reinitz on 15th May 2017
This page should provide driving distance and time between the two locations.
By Free Map Tools on 8th May 2017
I need to know how many driving hours from one area to another.
On 8th May 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1408 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: