How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Munich, Germany and Beijing, China
- How Far is it Between Brighton, Sussex Uk and Mexico City, Mexico
- How Far is it Between New York, Usa and Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- How Far is it Between Manchester Airport, England and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
- How Far is it Between Melbourne, Australia and Seoul, South Korea
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Previous Comments For This Page
This is an excellent tool for working on the best interests of my property buyer clients in Melbourne. Thank you.
By Darren McCoy - Buyer Agent in on 5th December 2016
only thing I find , is that they don't always take the closest route
By Bri Jms on 29th November 2016
Thanks,your's is the only one that actually works.Very professional.
By Charles Sullivan, Heath Spring on 26th November 2016
Hi, if you are looking to measure distances by clicking on the map, you should use the Measure Distance on a Map tool.
By Free Map Tools on 22nd November 2016
Sorry but this is the worst site I have visited. It just doesn't work and if you try to add a second point it goes to a restaurant or some
On 21st November 2016
Please try [Walcott, Norfolk, United Kingdom] for example [https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-walcott_-norfolk,-united-kingdom-and-norwich_-united-kingdom.htm?units=KM]
By Free Map Tools on 9th November 2016
Walcott on sea Norfolk is not near the middle of England !!
On 6th November 2016
By Gng nunula on 24th October 2016
Looking at homes near Palms Springs, California and there are some things I need to be closer to and this site helps me figure out distances ,
By Bri_jms on 14th October 2016
I find this site to be very helpful when looking for distances.
By Thank you Donna on 14th October 2016
Excellent web to calculate distances. Enjoyable and fun.
On 9th October 2016
great.thanks for the help
On 6th October 2016
Very Good, very helpful
By Bill on 4th October 2016
On 28th September 2016
Hi, if you can provide the addresses, then we can investigate this. If privacy is a concern, you can contact us directly.
By Free Map Tools on 19th September 2016
These calculations aren't even close. I
put in my current address in NC to my old address in NJ and it's off by about 200 miles. I've made the trip many times.
On 16th September 2016
On 15th September 2016
Superb! I use it everyday as I am into recruitment
By TheViper on 29th August 2016
Issues with both measurements:
Just tried All Saints Episcopal School, Fort Worth, Tx to Bridlewood Golf Club, Flower Mound, Tx and got 52 miles as the crow flies and 72 miles by road. Unfortunately, the road route was not optimal and the Google maps distance by road is 40.8 miles. I enjoy using this site for this purpose as I use this often to determine if a player lives within a 50 mile radius of Fort Worth.
On 28th August 2016
I used the straight line distance on one day and it gave me a calculation then when I used it another day it gave me another calculation....Why is that?
By Rich on 26th August 2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1329 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: