How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Blackpool, England and Sheffield, England
- How Far is it Between Vienna, Austria and Brisbane Qld, Australia
- How Far is it Between Houston Tx, Usa and Cairo, Egypt
- How Far is it Between Portland Oregon, Usa and Munich, Germany
- How Far is it Between Honolulu, Hawaii Usa and Stockholm, Sweden
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
A good basic tool for measuring road distances. However, the suggested driving times have to be taken with a large pinch of salt. They might be correct when roads are completely clear but at peak hours and in congested conditions they are in fantasy land.
On 9th November 2017
It's a great tool! love it I use all the time.
By Norma on 8th November 2017
I found this website totally awesome!!!
It's so easy to use.
By Jorge Benjumea on 6th November 2017
Reading has now been corrected so this should now be accurate.
By Free Map Tools on 4th November 2017
Crow flies distance from Trafalgar Square to Reading is 2901 miles??
By Dilishnik on 3rd November 2017
Thank you it is fantastic
By abdollah on 1st November 2017
On 29th October 2017
better than map quest.
By Mike on 27th October 2017
On 26th October 2017
Excellent information,easy to use
By Tom NP19 on 9th October 2017
THIS IS A GREAT HELP - THANK YOU !!
By Rina on 9th October 2017
Real Jedi Mind!!!
On 8th October 2017
Fantastic tool. Google has triumphed yet again.
By Henderson on 27th September 2017
Quick and accurate, a must use for me.
By Bill on 9th September 2017
Great, thank you all for putting this together
By ambcr***.com on 7th September 2017
It Is a Fantastic Tool. Used it to Plan miles of driving & time to do so For a Trip From Denver to Estes Park To Grand Teton To Yellowstone To Mt Rushmore, SD To Rapid City, SD to Badlands, SD
On 3rd September 2017
By Free Map Tools on 8th August 2017
'Have been using this site for years. It's proved to be extremely useful, thank you.
By (Scotland) on 8th August 2017
You changed the way cities come up when you search in the "How far is it Between" please put it back the way it was.
On 26th July 2017
I think that Google Corp continue to generate such a high level of intelligence at its finest. Creators of Google should be commended, For there continuance on their Growth !!!! Giving such useful information to our growing Society .
By Sandra Ventrice on 14th July 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1435 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: