How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Liverpool, England and Melbourne, Australia
- How Far is it Between Miami, Florida Usa and Heathrow, Airport London
- How Far is it Between Birmingham, Uk and Jerusalem, Israel
- How Far is it Between Athens, Greece and Blackpool, England
- How Far is it Between Birmingham, England and Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2019 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
How is it possible I checked the distance from New York to Beijing 10,967 then Chicago to Beijing 10,597 then Chicago to New York 1149 where did the 783 miles disappear
By Mr. Zee on 21st January 2019
Fast and accurate in miles and kilometers!
By Jim on 19th January 2019
Says because of cost it is no longer supported by google maps. I tried several different ways and it didn%u2019t work.
On 15th January 2019
it is around 1 kilometer
By Omprakash on 6th January 2019
ANTARIKSH APARTMENT IS PLOT 26
On 4th January 2019
LOCATION FRM APPARTMENT TO SCHOOL
By safikul islam on 4th January 2019
DPS Dwarka is 3.429 Km from my residence
By Jagat P Khulbe on 2nd January 2019
Not all locations are available in the tool and its very difficult to find your location. Better to use google maps.
On 30th December 2018
METRO VIEW APARTMENT SECTOR 13 DWARKA
On 27th December 2018
On 27th December 2018
VIJAY VEER AWAS IS COLONY NAME
By Manoj Kumar on 24th December 2018
always wanted to know this , great
By roger pilling on 21st December 2018
THANK THIS IS A USEFUL TOOLS
By YUG MITTAL on 21st December 2018
On 21st December 2018
thanks, its good for distance measure.
On 20th December 2018
By Jalaj Gakhar on 15th December 2018
Its terrible I do not know what to do!
By Someone on 11th December 2018
who to far is between port of Kmamamr sueden and Gottand
By rafael on 5th December 2018
thanks for this, i calculated how much an uber is to run away
By A kid who is running away on 30th November 2018
Miles or KM ... there is a toggle switch just above the map to view or select the units. The default is KM
By Free Map Tools on 26th November 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1528 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: