How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Buenos Aires, Argentina and Ottawa - Ontario, Canada
- How Far is it Between Seoul, South Korea and Boston, Massachussets
- How Far is it Between Brisbane Qld, Australia and Mexico City, Mexico
- How Far is it Between Aberdeen, Scotland and Norwich, Norfolk Uk
- How Far is it Between Cape Town, South Africa and York, England
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2019 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
Just tried for the first time and think it%u2019s excellent
By Snowy on 12th November 2018
this thing is very acurate.
By uhhhhh....... oh well then. on 7th November 2018
How Far is it Between Los banos, CA and Castroville, CA reports 68 miles.
By Free Map Tools on 4th November 2018
Is this thing every going to be fixed? again asked how far from Los banos, CA to Castroville, CA and this time it is over 1000 miles - RU kidding. I dont even know why I keep checking to use this - I guess because I used to really love it - it was sooo easy.
By SueC on 2nd November 2018
I use this regularly and think its quick and easy to use. Brilliant!
By Maureen on 29th October 2018
this is flippin accurate!!!! %uD83D%uDE03%uD83D%uDE01%uD83E%uDD23
On 28th October 2018
Why can't I use this page any more
By Lily on 10th October 2018
Hi, if you could use a format such as [City State, Country] e.g. https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-lakewood-ca_-usa-and-los-banos_-ca.htm?units=KM. The auto suggest on the text box will help with this.
By Free Map Tools on 9th October 2018
name anything and will be incorrect, but ex: Lakewood, CA to,Los banos, CA is about 4.5 hrs, it is reading the map shown which seems to fix on cities i am not requesting, the "Map" is going up north to like yuma city from salinas, i cannot request anything correctly. .Los Banos to Castroville, CA is about 1.15 hrs, map says 5 and is showing destination of castroville to nevada city, CA - not what i asked for. this needs a big fix, used to work fine.
By SueC on 6th October 2018
Hi SueC, can you give some examples please?
By Free Map Tools on 4th October 2018
What is with this thing. It is giving wrong travel times and I assume wrong miles between cities. I have had this happen twice in last week or so and had to use Maps instead to get the correct info. I used to use this Map tool all the time. Cant now.
By SueC on 1st October 2018
thanks i have a one for the test
By mene on 26th September 2018
Please please please just return Free map tools to how it was previous
By Jackie on 24th September 2018
Hi, please explain the mistakes
By Free Map Tools on 22nd September 2018
This tool is making mistakes (sure it is not me ;)
On 21st September 2018
Juan, check out Measure Distance on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 11th September 2018
Good tool, but how do I calculate the distance between two exact points in the middle of nowhere? (so, no city names or anything to type)
By Juan Carlos on 11th September 2018
My friend "Big Crow" is hurt that you have discriminated against him and his type of measurement.Why do you hate him?
By Wingman on 26th August 2018
I drive alot as part of my work. Found this site GREAT TOOL..Thanks SO much
On 15th August 2018
Will have to leave as I love a map too.
I have used your maps for years now - quick and so easy.
Thanks so much.
By Jcl. (Scotland) on 12th August 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1505 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: