How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Edinburgh, Scotland and Aberdeen, Scotland
- How Far is it Between Norwich, Norfolk Uk and San Diego California, Usa
- How Far is it Between Jerusalem, Israel and Melbourne, Victoria
- How Far is it Between Tokyo, Japan and Birmingham, Uk
- How Far is it Between Brisbane Qld, Australia and Belfast, Northern Ireland
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
On 22nd March 2017
The distance from Sacramento, CA to Salem, OR is WRONG! It looks like it is calculating to Salem, MA.
On 14th March 2017
Excellent. I use it for Dove release to see how fat they have to fly home
By Tom on 10th March 2017
This is wonderful. It's great to have a tool like this. keep up dating. Thanks & Good Luck everybody involved.
By Dayanath Madugalle on 8th March 2017
Please take out as the crow flies.
By Tony on 23rd February 2017
this is so good.
By Naboth from Uganda on 21st February 2017
Hi, can you provide the 2 addresses so this can be checked please?
By Free Map Tools on 16th February 2017
This program is highly inaccurate....I used this program and mapquest to distance the same 2 addresses and driving on the same route this site listed the distance as 60 miles longer than mapquest. I am familiar with these locations and know that this is the site which is inaccurate.
On 16th February 2017
Wonderful place to get exact radius of one location to another. Extremely helpful.
By Anu on 13th February 2017
This Map is very difficult to use
I am in live in opposite of DPS
By Abhay Gupta on 13th February 2017
So glad I found this very useful
By Biolucky on 6th February 2017
Very Useful tool. A suggestion-A route would be nice too:)
By Wanderer on 3rd February 2017
Hi, How Far is it Between Nottingham and Brighouse says 128km or 80 miles.
By Free Map Tools on 1st February 2017
This is not working correctly it says it is 128 miles from Nottingham to Brighouse. I don't think so! It also says it will take 1 hour 34 mins. For 128 miles? Really?
On 1st February 2017
On 28th January 2017
Can you please include how long the journey will take
On 25th January 2017
By Mahima Sharma on 23rd January 2017
Hi Tammy, https://www.freemaptools.com/how-far-is-it-between-fort-nelson_-bc,-canada-and-dawson-creek_-bc,-canada.htm?units=KM should now be correct.
By Free Map Tools on 23rd January 2017
Amazing for home work and when you go on holiday it shows the time and days it takes to get there brilliant
By Aimee Hodges on 20th January 2017
DISTANCE FROM HOME TO SCHOOL
By AMIT SHARMA on 20th January 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1368 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: