How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two places. Input the two places names and find out the distance between them. The direct disance and driving distance are both displayed. To start type the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Input the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the Show button.
The recommended format to use is [City, Country] i.e. [City(comma)(space)Country].
Once a result is returned, you can copy a link to use as a permanent referance back to the result or to send on to others.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two places.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Brasilia, Brazil and Miami, Florida Usa
- How Far is it Between Leeds, England and Chester, England
- How Far is it Between Washington Dc, Usa and Hamburg, Germany
- How Far is it Between Portland Oregon, Usa and Blackpool, England
- How Far is it Between Cape Town, South Africa and Budapest, Hungary
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
Jeffrey, it seems OK at this side. Could you try again please? Refresh the page and try again?
By Free Map Tools on 12th February 2021
Land distance between two points (cities) was working last week, its apparently broken (provides no output either in miles or KM). Will keep trying. Thanks
By Jeffrey W. Shiflet on 12th February 2021
does this take the curvature of the earth into account? if so, how?
By Andrew on 22nd January 2021
great but for me land transport is broken
By bob on 5th January 2021
Gatlinburg, Tennessee has now been fixed
By Free Map Tools on 1st January 2021
From Beaumont, Texas to Gatlinburg, Tennessee. 2197 Miles??????? Look at the route map...WHAT A HOOT........
By Fireman Ed on 1st January 2021
Using jammed M25 unnecessarily - and it's the long way round adds 10 miles to the journey.
On 18th December 2020
Hi, it uses average speed. It does not factor in speed limits or current traffic conditions.
By Free Map Tools on 18th December 2020
Hi, how is the time taken to drive calculated?
Do you use an average speed or does it take into account each road%u2019s speed?
On a cross ferry route does that factor time for a ferry?
By Double D on 17th December 2020
dont like it but il use it
By finley on 7th December 2020
Hi Denise, Im not sure "Ga." and "Fla" are the full names of cities. Could you try the full names?
By Free Map Tools on 1st December 2020
are we still able to use the tool and what search engine do we pull up the program? I played with it and put from Ga. to Fla and the mileage was not the correct miles
By Denise Korn on 30th November 2020
This is the first time I've used this facility and it's great, thanks!
On 14th November 2020
Quico, this has now been fixed.
By Free Map Tools on 31st October 2020
Asked the distance Berlin-Praha but in the map I saw Berlin-London :-D
By Quico on 31st October 2020
Hello! I love this program but for me being an old timer, it's hard for me to read so I would be so grateful if you make a video as an option.
By Sylvie Kartning on 26th October 2020
It would be great to additionally see the hill profile for the view entered. eg. looking for hill ranges either side of Wrekin from Shining tor
By Martin on 23rd October 2020
By willis lewis on 20th October 2020
Hi Robert, can you give an example of the To and From locations you have input?
By Free Map Tools on 12th October 2020
The websire used to ne great but for some reason it keeps saying that my destination is in the USA. Although as far as I am aware Lanarkshire is actually in the UK.
By Robert M on 9th October 2020
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1680 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)