How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Miami, Florida Usa and Denver Colorado, Usa
- How Far is it Between Dallas Texas, Usa and York, England
- How Far is it Between Norwich, Norfolk Uk and Aberdeen, Scotland
- How Far is it Between Southampton, Hants and Sheffield, England
- How Far is it Between Frankfurt, Germany and London, Uk
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
make this less confusing
On 20th September 2019
Distance between a point in America and the Philippines gives 700 miles. Seems the Philippines is actually Lexington, Kentucky. Absolute crap map.
On 17th September 2019
Could you please fix the "as the crow flies" distances in Sydney Australia - they aren't accurate...your tool has been fantastic over the last few years and I would love to keep using it
On 15th September 2019
How Far is it Between Dorset, Uk and Jersey, Channel Islands has been corrected.
By Free Map Tools on 12th September 2019
Absolutely useless.The distance from Dorset, UK to Jersey Channel was not measured; instead, the system measured from near San Jose, California to Dorset.
By Geoff on 11th September 2019
Please try : How Far is it Between Pine, Colorado, Usa and Bailey Co, Usa.
By Free Map Tools on 28th August 2019
Wow - your tool is Wayyyyyy off. Pine Colorado is only about 10 miles away from Bailey Colorado by road and much closer as the crow flies. Your calculator put Pine in a totally different part of the state and says it's almost 50 miles away. Lame.
By Destiny on 27th August 2019
McMurdo, Antarctica has now been fixed
By Free Map Tools on 23rd August 2019
McMurdo, Antarctica appears to be near San Francisco
By Dave on 21st August 2019
Paul, this should now be sorted
By Free Map Tools on 19th August 2019
Your system is broken, I keep asking the distance between Pekin, Illinois and Washington, Illinois but the system keeps giving me a distance from St. Louis area!
By Paul on 18th August 2019
Excellent and simple - thankfully !
By R J on 14th August 2019
Yes, as the website says, it is 2006 miles : How Far is it Between Chicago Illinois, Usa and Los Angeles California, Usa.
By Free Map Tools on 6th August 2019
chicago to los angles is 483 miles. NOT
On 5th August 2019
miles out, rubbish
By tom on 20th July 2019
Easily the best how far between site.
By Peter on 5th July 2019
Basra, Iraq has been corrected. Thanks for the feedback.
By Free Map Tools on 19th June 2019
Basrah, Iraq is correct, but Basra, Iraq is somewhere in the middle of New Orleans?
On 18th June 2019
Before, searching "Saint Martin" and "Sint Maarten" sent you to these two territories in the Caribbean. Now, it shows up in mainland France and Netherlands in Europe, respectively...
On 3rd June 2019
Seems to work decently enough. When I measured the distances in England and Scotland, I ended up in the US a couple of times, before I tried putting in "UK" at the end of the place name instead of "Scotland" or "England".
When it's been perfected, this site will be great!
By Embla on 31st May 2019
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1564 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)