How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two named points on a map. You can decide which two points to measure and then find out the distance between them as the crow flies and distance when driving. Type in the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Simply type in the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the show button!
The best format to use is [City, Country] to enter a location - that is [City(comma)(space)Country]. You can also type in major places straight in such as "USA", "Tokyo", "London" etc. Postcodes and addresses can also be used.
When you click the search button, a search will be made to find which place you are referring to. Firstly, a search is made of an internal list of common places. If no match is found then a search will be made using the Google Maps API GlocalSearch feature. If this also returns no results then you are asked to indicate the location of the point by clicking on the map. This allows you to then see the distance between the two points and also inputs the location into the internal database so that the next time a visitor searches for that location, it will be found.
Once a result is returned, you can copy a URL to use as a permanent link back to the result for your own reference or to pass on to other people.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between countries, cities or towns.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Manchester Airport, England and Birmingham, Uk
- How Far is it Between Brisbane Qld, Australia and Athens, Greece
- How Far is it Between Leicester, England and Philadelphia, Pa Usa
- How Far is it Between Surrey, Uk and Devon, Uk
- How Far is it Between Copenhagen, Denmark and San Diego California, Usa
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
Hi Denise, Im not sure "Ga." and "Fla" are the full names of cities. Could you try the full names?
By Free Map Tools on 1st December 2020
are we still able to use the tool and what search engine do we pull up the program? I played with it and put from Ga. to Fla and the mileage was not the correct miles
By Denise Korn on 30th November 2020
This is the first time I've used this facility and it's great, thanks!
On 14th November 2020
Quico, this has now been fixed.
By Free Map Tools on 31st October 2020
Asked the distance Berlin-Praha but in the map I saw Berlin-London :-D
By Quico on 31st October 2020
Hello! I love this program but for me being an old timer, it's hard for me to read so I would be so grateful if you make a video as an option.
By Sylvie Kartning on 26th October 2020
It would be great to additionally see the hill profile for the view entered. eg. looking for hill ranges either side of Wrekin from Shining tor
By Martin on 23rd October 2020
By willis lewis on 20th October 2020
Hi Robert, can you give an example of the To and From locations you have input?
By Free Map Tools on 12th October 2020
The websire used to ne great but for some reason it keeps saying that my destination is in the USA. Although as far as I am aware Lanarkshire is actually in the UK.
By Robert M on 9th October 2020
By john on 9th October 2020
Best app for distance and directions!
By Keith on 7th October 2020
It's very useful to see how far my signals are going on h.f. radio.
By Bill on 5th October 2020
Great source for shortwave listeners for calculating crow distance. I have noticed, however, that "Distance by Land Transport" seems to have stopped working the last few days
By Don on 25th September 2020
Good app. Accurate, too.
On 17th September 2020
Thank you so much for this very useful tool!
On 6th September 2020
how can i see distance between two random places
By prashanth viswanatham on 3rd September 2020
very useful map tool
By Salty481 on 2nd September 2020
Fredericton, New Brunswick has been corrected.
By Free Map Tools on 27th August 2020
The site seems to think Fredericton, New Brunswick, Canada is in Fairbanks, Alaska. It's only off by several thousand kilometers. Hardly worth mentioning but it raises doubts about the rest of the answers we get. Oh well, it's free.
By David W on 26th August 2020
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1670 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)