How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two places. Input the two places names and find out the distance between them. The direct disance and driving distance are both displayed. To start type the names of the places below and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two Points
How to Use
Input the name of the two places in the text boxes and click the Show button.
The recommended format to use is [City, Country] i.e. [City(comma)(space)Country].
Once a result is returned, you can copy a link to use as a permanent referance back to the result or to send on to others.
Note : For ZIP Codes, use Distance Between ZIP Codes, For UK Postcodes, use the UK Postcode distance tool. Also, to find the distance between points that are not named, you can use the Measure Distance tool.
About How Far is it Between
This tool can be used to find the distance between two places.
There are two distances output:
- As the Crow Flies - The direct distance between points
- Distance by land transport (When possible) - Distance estimate when you travel by road and sea.
The distances can be output in the following units:
- km (kilometers)
The output is via a measurement of the distance and also a map that shows that two locations and the path between them as the crow flies and the route by land transport.
You can use the controls on the map to:
- Pan the map
- Zoom the Map
- Switch between Map and Satellite views
Some Examples of Distances
Some of the distances between cities that can be found using the system. Click on one to see it or type in your own places above in the text boxes.
- How Far is it Between Denver Colorado, Usa and Singapore, Singapore
- How Far is it Between Blackpool, England and Edinburgh, Scotland
- How Far is it Between Newcastle-upon-tyne, Uk and Shanghai, China
- How Far is it Between Brighton, Sussex Uk and Surrey, Uk
- How Far is it Between Northampton, England and Boston, Massachussets
- Red line will not cross the International Date Line
- The Automatic zoom fails when the shortest distance is across the International Date Line
- Allow points to be requested for deletion from the database to keep the information tidy
If you spot anything that needs addressed, then please contact Free Map Tools.
- 15th October 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect distance when the route crossed the IDL
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix, incorrect behaviour once a 2nd, 3rd etc. route is calculated
- 28th September 2018 : Bug fix, calculating a 2nd distance caused an error
- 21st September 2018 : Fixed issue with road travel time format
- 19th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 14th November 2016 : The duration of the road journey is now output when applicable
- 28th June 2016 : URL output now contains units (KM) information
- 22nd June 2016 : KM / Miles setting will now save and remember its state between sessions
- 28th May 2015 : Now uses Google places.Autocomplete
- 15th March 2015 : New option to Avoid Motorways/Highways
- 27th January 2015 : Full Screen button added
- 8th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue. When no driving directions are found, the box now says N/A. Previously it had no update and sometimes retained the value of the previous search driving distance
- 7th January 2014 : Resolved minor issue where driving directions route from old measurement was still appearing when another search was done
- 13th November 2013 : Implemented Google Maps API V3
- 7th March 2010 : New mode of transport added ... Passenger Aeroplane
- 2nd December 2009 : Now brings up the suggested cities and countries much faster. Also shows most popular places at the top of the list
- 20th January 2008 : Improved automatic zoom to give more consistent results
- 15th December 2007 : Added Save Data option
- 29th November 2007 : Added Land Transport measurement option
- 4th November 2007 : Dynamic URL to save how far is it between X and Y
- 21st October 2007 : Added GlocalSearch search to find more places automatically
- 18th July 2007 : Fixed drop down lists so they fall over all content below
- 1st July 2007 : Work done on allowing users to add a new locations if they are not on the system
- 30th June 2007 : Page Created with basic functionality
Comments For This Page
What the distance between bukola to balu
By Kelly on 4th June 2022
It's not showing the number of KM since yesterday. I see just the red distance line and no number in th ebox
On 26th May 2022
this page should t e a c h you how to calculate the distance by land transport.
By Mia on 19th May 2022
Brilliant, told me what I needed to know, the rest is up to me,
By Jean lewis on 10th May 2022
Cool page, very interesting n informative too %uD83D%uDC4C
By Westy on 25th April 2022
Really like this ap. I have never checked it's accuracy carefully but it seems pretty close to correct. I'm unsure of the time estimates and haven't found an explanation of them. Anyway, thanks for a nice, useful page.
By Don on 23rd April 2022
why did your map take me from Bridport, Dorset to Newton Abbot, Devon, firstly via America and second via Sheffield. Very useful!! I still don't know how far it is!
By Val Brenton on 22nd April 2022
Map did not show Kobryn, Belarus, but was able to use Brest as an approximation for determining distance from Bialystok, Poland. App very useful.
By Valstar32 on 4th April 2022
A great asset and very very useful.
On 22nd March 2022
never worked. Bad service
On 12th March 2022
If you used the correct spelling of Beijing, then it is completely accurate.
By Free Map Tools on 1st March 2022
Completly inaccurate said that from Bejing to Tokyo was 8,000km.
On 28th February 2022
I have given education up to pre primary at home
By Rajveer Singh on 24th February 2022
Ansi is not on the coast of China. In fact it's a devil of a long walk.
On 17th February 2022
The time of 11 minutes must assume a highway connection, no way you can do that drive in 11 minutes - even a professional rally driver would be challenged.
On 2nd February 2022
It's easy to use and clearly marks route to follow
By Dean on 9th January 2022
The route shown around a roundabout is anti-clockwise - this would be deadly in the UK and Ireland where it should be clockwise!
In fact driving seems to be shown on the wrong side of the road.
Also it is very difficult to read the road numbers, eg A22, (Watford to Heathfield Sussex) and the motorway junction numbers - they are a) covered by the route indication and b)stay the same size in spite of scale - a bit too small.
By Mike on 8th January 2022
Easy to use.
By Peter on 7th January 2022
Is this thing free for commercial usage?
By Aris on 20th December 2021
Too complicated? Wow! Worked fine for me. If you don't like it write your own program. Oh wait...., unqualified?
On 12th December 2021
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1721 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)