Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of finding the distance between two or more points on a map.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size
You can delete a point by clicking on the node
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- Add paddle boarding to the list of modes of transport
- 21st February 2021 - Selected units of distance are stored and recalled when you next visit
- 6th July 2020 - New option to Export a link to the route. Found inside Export Options section
- 2nd June 2019 - Fixed bug with meters output not working
- 29th May 2019 - Implemented Leaflet Maps
- 20th May 2019 - Fixed bug in IE browser
- 9th May 2019 - Fixed issue with distance not reseting to zero when Clear Map button clicked
- 14th September 2017 - Distance now displayed on map while in full screen mode
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
Cool tool, thanks!! will donate this someday
By Arkaan Muyassar on 20th August 2021
Thankyou. very useful for sailing
By Dave on 28th July 2021
very useful %uD83C%uDF39%u2764%uFE0F well done
please makes application for it
By dzhwar on 14th July 2021
Wrong Maps bad Website
By Vip on 28th June 2021
Too difficult to use and assumes place is in US not UK
On 16th June 2021
irussell, sorry about that. It should have been updated to say "click" rather than "right click".
By Free Map Tools on 3rd June 2021
'You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.'
I cannot get this to work.I use Firefox on MacOS.
Please tell me how to do it.
By irussell on 1st June 2021
Would it be better if %u201CSaved Routes%u201D were to be edited manually through an edit button? Viewing a %u201CSaved Route%u201D can get jumbled by clumsy fingers dragging the map. Also- the addition of a %u201Cshow less comments%u201D button would be nice. But...I really like the app for simple point to point planning.
By Mr. Mike on 18th May 2021
Can you add paddle boarding to the mix?
By Ernesto on 6th May 2021
amazing site for free
On 6th May 2021
thank you veryhelpful. please functionality to measure UPRN to UPRN
On 29th April 2021
Giving hope the rising sun gives us yet longing for hope is an endless night.
By Yoda# on 8th April 2021
By Bubba Hayne on 5th April 2021
Awesome find! THANK YOU!
By JR on 4th April 2021
yalpertem, it has now been added.
By Free Map Tools on 21st February 2021
Feature request: Can you auto-save the selected unit of measurement? Great work!
By yalpertem on 20th February 2021
Hi Steve, a quick test comes back as 'working' for us. Could you try a different browser on your computer? Just as a comparison test.
By Free Map Tools on 16th February 2021
Hello, I have been a big fan of Free map tools for almost a year. But generate link, which had problems since December, no longer works on my computer.
By Steve on 13th February 2021
No, such features are not taken in to account when the distance is measured.
By Free Map Tools on 24th January 2021
Does this take into consideration the geography (mountains, hills, plains) when displaying the distance?
On 23rd January 2021
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1264 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)