Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of finding the distance between two or more points on a map.
[11th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Note : The Full Screen option is now on the map itself
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 14th September 2017 - Distance now displayed on map while in full screen mode
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
Many thanks! I had not realised that Direction Projection Tool would give the compass bearing.
By Martin Evans on 17th April 2019
Martin, we will look in to your idea. For now, you may be able to achieve what you want here : Direction Projection Tool.
By Free Map Tools on 16th April 2019
Could the compass bearing, from one point to the other, be included please?
By Martin Evans on 16th April 2019
d1960, the [Clear Map] button should do that.
By Free Map Tools on 16th April 2019
Is there a way to set the distance back to zero?
By d1960 on 16th April 2019
Snap to roads has been disabled, yes. It cost too much to have running on this free to use website.
By Free Map Tools on 27th March 2019
this thing is very useful
By suleiman on 26th March 2019
Did you get rid of the snap to road option? I can\'t find it.
By No Snap? on 26th March 2019
Saving a route is fine but if I want to change or tweak it later I would like to just save the update and not create another route listing.
By Duncan on 20th March 2019
By homotoyosi on 19th March 2019
Love you guys!
By Ahmed on 7th March 2019
This site use to be helpful, but It is no longer providing all the capabilities available(listed).
On 4th March 2019
great for planning running routes
On 2nd March 2019
Very useful for planning running routes. Thank you!
On 20th February 2019
From where You got the map source code or satalite
By Ahmed on 1st February 2019
great job very use ful site
By basit sanjrani on 12th January 2019
Using this tool for research purposes in trying to set up a business and what other business are nearby and of what proximity, this tool allows me to do it confidently and accurately so very well. Thank you, please add donate button
By MF on 4th January 2019
I love the way it anticipates where the next point is going to go. Great for getting really accurate distances quickly.
By d1960 on 21st December 2018
I use it each time I'm planning a trek ! Thanks a lot for this tool !
On 16th December 2018
Fantastic tool! Thank you! :)
By A runner without a smartwatch on 14th December 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1155 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: