Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of finding the distance between two or more points on a map.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Note : The Full Screen option is now on the map itself
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 14th September 2017 - Distance now displayed on map while in full screen mode
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
thank you! so nice to figure out distance for my meandering recumbent trike jaunts!
On 17th June 2018
Absolutely brilliant and very easy to use. Your user instructions are superbly clear and easy to follow, well done to all involved!!
By AT on 15th June 2018
Exactly what I needed, thank you.
On 14th June 2018
Thank you for this. I always needed a distance tool to calculate my running.
By Anon on 13th June 2018
Good tool, even better if you could click on intermediate points to get distance to that point (walker)
By Lewis on 31st May 2018
great for planning kayak trips! best tool for river mapping.
On 25th May 2018
how to drop a position ( lat/long )on map
By Aung NaiThu on 18th May 2018
I use this to measure river distances. it is a great way to get an estimate on travel time for a canoe or float. it would be nice to add boat to mode of transport.
On 7th May 2018
Really like the elevation feature. Would be nice if the speed unit (under travel time section) could be configurable or dependent on the unit chosen to display the distance.
By Chris on 4th May 2018
Hi Joe, sorry, not sure what you mean. Can you explain a bit more please?
By Free Map Tools on 30th April 2018
how come sometimes I cant enlarge the pictures
By joe shaughnessy on 30th April 2018
I love this tool! I was just doing intervals(running) and I want to know what the distance was. This work amazingly. Thanks for the tool!
By Jacob on 29th April 2018
why is not showing MILES?
how many miles is 6577.66?
By Lynda on 23rd April 2018
OK, wow, I just looked at all the tools, which I missed before. However, would still be useful to have a Lat and Long grid on the Measure distance tool. Thanks
By Andy in Shef on 12th April 2018
Excellent tool (I would warn Scott that I am not sure it is showing Great Circle routes - so your Korean missile route is probably not accurate?). Am plotting Sailing routes, so I would appreciate having the ability to turn Lat and Long grid on and off, might that be possible? Thanks
By Andy in Sheffield on 12th April 2018
Travis, please have a look at Range Finder Tool on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 7th April 2018
Could you add the bearing (compass direction) to the lines? This would be very helpful for setting up antennas.
By Travis G on 6th April 2018
GOT IT MEASUREMENT FROM GOOGLE MAP .
THANK YOU GOOGLE MAP. I WANT TO KNOW WGS 84 CO.ORDINATE SYSTEM IN YOUR GOOGLE MAP.
By R.GOPINATH on 28th March 2018
the distance seems to be off.I ran and drove. My GPS NAV shows.76 Miles, My phone App shows .78 Miles (Ran). this shows .987 Miles.
By Ed on 25th March 2018
An excellent tool. The ability to label points, then export the map showing labels. Distance from last named point and total distance so far could be displayed on the label as the cursor passes over it. To have the list of point labels, segment distances and distance so far in an exportable spreadsheet would be a useful bonus. At some point, the possibility of drawing the cursor round bends and kinks in a footpath or road as an alternative to have to insert multiple additional points could be a wish list feature too. Great work so far!
On 8th February 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1114 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: