Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two points on a map. Start Clicking!
Measure Distance Map
|Total Distance Miles km Nautical Miles Yards Meters|
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c)
- Provide elevation data for route
- Provide measurement in feet
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed.
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Previous Comments For This Page
By Free Map Tools on 12th January 2017
Been using this tool for years. It's extremely useful and massive thanks to the team who created it.
By Chris S on 12th January 2017
Hi Cliff, please use the Toggle Markers button to do this.
By Free Map Tools on 4th January 2017
Hi, Is there a way for removing the pins and showing just a line for the route entered? Thanks
By Cliff on 4th January 2017
Brilliant, Thank you.
By James on 4th January 2017
it is very accurate thank you and thanks google
By Mohammad on 3rd January 2017
Very useful and works on my iPad seamlessly thanks
On 2nd January 2017
Hi, can you explain why you think it is useless?
By Free Map Tools on 28th December 2016
On 27th December 2016
Thanks Matt, your suggestion has been added to the Future Ideas and Improvements list
By Free Map Tools on 21st November 2016
I would love to get the lat/lon of the markers. Export lat,lon to cvs would be so cool. Thanks!
By Matt on 19th November 2016
Hi, the one finger pan on mobile devices should now work again.
By Free Map Tools on 18th November 2016
Can it go back to moving it with one finger
On 16th November 2016
Hi, please check out this page ... Range Finder Tool on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 26th October 2016
Can this map tool provide a True North compass heading to travelling points?
On 25th October 2016
super website, I was seatching and now found and now in my break time I was searching something else and what I found :)
By niepelnosprawny on 11th October 2016
Fabulous Brilliant Thank You!!!
By Sam on 11th October 2016
By aurora loop one on 9th October 2016
Hi Smitho, we will look in to this
By Free Map Tools on 8th October 2016
On the distance measurement, can you also add the directional bearing?
By Smitho on 7th October 2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1017 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: