Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of finding the distance between two or more points on a map.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 2nd June 2019 - Fixed bug with meters output not working
- 29th May 2019 - Implemented Leaflet Maps
- 20th May 2019 - Fixed bug in IE browser
- 9th May 2019 - Fixed issue with distance not reseting to zero when Clear Map button clicked
- 14th September 2017 - Distance now displayed on map while in full screen mode
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
I like this tool. It doesn't take long to key in waypoints to work out the actual distances you've walked or ran - guy below me is just lazy.
By dfsgds on 27th March 2020
Measuring distances as-the-crow-flies for walking routes in the city is thoroughly useless.
On 27th March 2020
Possible route guys 10.1 km.
By Adrian Terry Arthurs on 18th March 2020
Really useful, easy to work desktop tool for measuring my daily walks -without a smart 'phone. The maps often show me places that I didn't know of to look at next time I'm out. Today my new walk was 4.4 miles.
By David WYorks on 18th March 2020
This is great! I really enjoy playing with it. I try to find the 3rd point of a triangle to have a specific location right in the centre when I have 2 known places for the other points of the triangle. Then I go an investigate where that place is and what it looks like! I do it with places that are very far apart in the world and it's great :-) Thank you for making this!
By Alain on 10th February 2020
By Lagrange on 4th February 2020
By OhYeah on 1st February 2020
By Masthamn on 28th January 2020
Big problem with this tool: It doesn't take into account that the earth is a globe. You can test this yourself by measuring the distance between two points on the southern border of the map (the south pole). The tool says it's several hundreds of kilometers between the points but in reality its 0. It's actually the same point, because the earth is not flat. So therefore all measurements that are not directly on the equator will be false.
By E on 6th January 2020
Andy, that feature have been removed, so it's no longer possible.
By Free Map Tools on 5th December 2019
How do you make it snap to streets?
By Andy on 30th November 2019
On 25th November 2019
From Lata (Santa Cruz) Airport to Yo Village, Graciousa Bay
By Michael Rons Menapi on 12th November 2019
How 'bout showing the English language for all cities on the map?
By geoffrey on 1st October 2019
How about the use of direction like SW, SE, etc.
On 16th September 2019
By Free Map Tools on 10th September 2019
What is the distance from Augusta, Ga. to Athens, Ga.?
By Joe on 9th September 2019
Hi, I love this tool. Recently the route is being displayed as a straight (Mercator) line where it was previously a Great Circle. I really miss the Great Circles.
By Bob on 16th August 2019
I'm not able to click my points on the map. :( I've tried Chrome, FireFox, and IE
On 8th August 2019
possible to calculate speed if time is entered as minutes/hours/days?
On 15th July 2019
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1200 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)