Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two or more points on a map.
Measure Distance Map
|Total Distance Miles km Nautical Miles Yards Meters|
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c)
- Provide measurement in feet
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed.
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
Website is very useful my new challenge to run 11 km at less than 45 minute hope to make it
By micho on 27th April 2017
Hi Greg, this page has never had the display field editable. Perhaps you are confusing this page with another on the Free Map Tools website? What are you trying to achieve? If you explain, I might be able to direct you to the tool that allows you to do this.
By Free Map Tools on 25th April 2017
Hi the page does not allow me to enter the distance field and fails like this on many different browsers. Has someone disabled it's functionality? No way to get cursor to appear and type in the distance but was working fine earlier.
By Greg on 25th April 2017
By Free Map Tools on 7th April 2017
I use this site for walking, driving, riding and even kayaking. Brilliant. Thank you!!!!
By Dan on 6th April 2017
Great tool! Simple, straightforward and works. And I'm another one who is grateful not to have to Register, or list my personal routes!
By Anna on 4th April 2017
Works very well to measure distances on rivers and lakes when planning kayak and canoe trips. Thanks for a great tool.
By Ben on 30th March 2017
Antonio, sorry this isn't possible. I understand your request but finding an automatic way to determine this isn't easy
By Free Map Tools on 29th March 2017
hi would it possible to calculate the minimum distance for given point to the shoreline in uk?
By antonio on 29th March 2017
Thanks for the comments Mike
By Free Map Tools on 28th March 2017
This is a tremendous, useful, accurate, and widely variable tool. I have NOT found a better measuring website than yours on the entire internet ! Thank You. I use it all the time.
By Mike Carter on 26th March 2017
I love this easy fantastic tool.exactly the answer to my question.
By Joy on 25th March 2017
Very helpful in finding the distance - thank you!
By Duke on 23rd March 2017
By abbasi on 21st March 2017
Hi Meldon, have a look at Measure Distance From Central Point To Many. This allows you to plot multiple routes with the distance displayed on the map. Also Plot Airport Routes may be of interest to you.
By Free Map Tools on 20th March 2017
By Dave on 17th March 2017
Amazing Site!! Ive been using it to map the distances flown and updat emy Pilo tLog book!!
Thankyou Very Much.. :)
An awesome feature would be to display the distances for each of the chosen legs and then being able to print it. :)
By Meldon Rodrigues on 17th March 2017
Awesome site. Thank you for not making users register and for not including a lot of clutter. Great for measuring how far you've walked your dog, need to walk to a grocery store, restaurant, etc.
By Monica on 16th March 2017
By OMRAN on 25th February 2017
Matt, the best donation you can give is to tell others about Free Map Tools, like/share our Facebook page and like us on Twitter. Any of this will be greatly appreciated.
By Free Map Tools on 17th February 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1044 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: