Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of finding the distance between two or more points on a map.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size
You can delete a point by clicking on the node
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- Add paddle boarding to the list of modes of transport
- 20th April 2022 - Improved behavior when Small/Medium/Large are clicked
- 21st February 2021 - Selected units of distance are stored and recalled when you next visit
- 6th July 2020 - New option to Export a link to the route. Found inside Export Options section
- 2nd June 2019 - Fixed bug with meters output not working
- 29th May 2019 - Implemented Leaflet Maps
- 20th May 2019 - Fixed bug in IE browser
- 9th May 2019 - Fixed issue with distance not reseting to zero when Clear Map button clicked
- 14th September 2017 - Distance now displayed on map while in full screen mode
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
useful site ty for anyone that made it
By cheesefactoryworker on 5th December 2022
Have you tried to disable the right click menu that appears when you try to move the map. If not add this attribute to the div containing the map.
By Mustafa on 4th November 2022
Is there an app where I can measure distance from home base to my GPS position as the crow flies?
On 24th October 2022
On 21st October 2022
I use this a lot, really an excellent tool, but the cross marker can sometimes be really hard to spot on the map, especially in full screen mode. Maybe another color would fix it, or thicker lines?
By Peter on 24th September 2022
How can I find my position if I have the following?
By Yousuf on 22nd September 2022
Very Handy Thanks a lot!
On 24th August 2022
I retract my previous comment. I did find the setting where you can label all the countries names on English.
Thank you, Excellent product.
By Sophia on 15th August 2022
I love interactive maps like this, it's very helpful, but I don't know every single country. It would be nice if they were written in English or is there a setting where I can translate the country names into English on the map?
By Sophia on 15th August 2022
This helped me a lot! Thanks so much!
On 18th July 2022
By Razvi on 11th July 2022
love this thing, been using it for several years to track my biking distance. thank you!
By j c on 10th July 2022
Thank you - I found this very useful useful.
By Michael on 5th July 2022
It's not very helpful
On 20th June 2022
Trying to mesure postcodes
By Lora on 26th May 2022
On 25th May 2022
What total unusable tosh!!!
On 8th May 2022
road edit to disrict
By nagorao on 16th March 2022
Exactly what I've been looking for. Excellent. Thank you
By L W on 11th February 2022
Forgot to turn on my running app and this saved me from not proving my point, that i can run far :)
By John on 5th February 2022
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1289 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)