Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two points on a map. Start Clicking!
Measure Distance Map
|Total Distance Miles km Nautical Miles Yards Meters|
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Export to kml option
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c)
- Provide elevation data for route
- Provide measurement in feet
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed.
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Previous Comments For This Page
By Free Map Tools on 22/07/2016
Just noticed you have added metres, which is great. Really useful tool which works on iOS as well as desktop browsers
By Mark on 22/07/2016
Thank you. I use the site for my students house distance from school. Very useful.
By Margie on 18/07/2016
So thankful for this site. Helps us at work to determine distance between resort lodging locations and ski lifts.
By Adri on 16/07/2016
Thank you so much for this service I use it almost daily with work and the fact metres are added is just perfect. Thank you to all involved please keep up the great work!
Kayaking the upper Mississippi where it winds across the flat land, and I have been planning to find the distance of a day trip I plan on taking. 8 miles straight. 10 miles to drive. 17.5 miles following the river. Great work on this application!
By Charlie on 13/07/2016
Travel by kayak would be amazing. Thanks for this useful tool!
By Stacey on 12/07/2016
Very useful and very easy to use. I use this tool quite often, thanks. I agree with previous comment that 4mph is a bit ambitious for many, but it's a good starting point. perhaps if this looked like a drop-down menu, then it would be more obvious that the user could change it?
Please add "Delete individual points by right-clicking" into the How to use list.
By Patjos on 11/07/2016
Mileage isn't working right. London to Nottingham, isn't 13mins in a slow car.
Flight from London to New York, isn't 2hrs.
Something is clearly wrong!
Candy Mtn to Red Mtn and back
By Bill on 08/07/2016
Thanks, this is really useful. It seems that walking is set at 4 kph, but switch to miles, and its 4 mph.That is pretty fast for me and 2.5 mph would be easier!
By Simon on 07/07/2016
meters has been added
By Free Map Tools on 05/07/2016
Is there a way to change the distance unit to m?
no wonder im so tired now!! :)
By abt on 25/06/2016
By Nenmeu2 on 24/06/2016
Hi, thanks for reporting this. This was a bug. It is now fixed.
By Free Map Tools on 20/06/2016
There is one issue with the Unit of Time thing.
If I click on hours: 51.4 hours.
Then if I click on days it says 4.3 days, which is actually the double of what should be.
It was fun to re-trace the walking distance from my apt to University, from my college days in the 60's. Had to walk 1.9 mi one-way a few days when my VW Beetle wouldn't crank.
very good tool for doing agricultural piping calculations
By arumugathai on 13/06/2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 984 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: