Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two points on a map. Start Clicking!
Measure Distance Map
|Total Distance Miles km Nautical Miles Yards|
0 KPH 1000 KPH KPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Export to kml option
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c)
- Provide elevation data for route
- Provide measurement in feet
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Previous Comments For This Page
Great! thanks for this easy to use maptool. Just been for a walk and measured the distance so easily without downloads, log ins etc. Will be using it again. Thanks.
By Marney on 02/05/2016
how can I get my own map from my pictures to here so I can measure distances in it
By email@example.com on 19/04/2016
i love this! it is so helpful!!
By LBG on 19/04/2016
Thanks for the feedback Jeremy.
By Free Map Tools on 16/04/2016
I use this website every time I go on a bike trip! So useful, accurate, and easy to use. Thank you for creating this site as well as continuing to update it!
By Jeremy on 16/04/2016
The tru J G, thanks for the feedback. This has been updated
By Free Map Tools on 05/04/2016
Doesn't work. No go button.
By The tru J G on 05/04/2016
By valerio on 05/04/2016
great tool, thanks
Sheila, please have a look at Radius Around a Point on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 31/03/2016
Need to see a 1/4 mile diameter from my home will be is that possible
By Sheila on 31/03/2016
A new option [Midpoint Drag] has been added.
By Free Map Tools on 30/03/2016
User, the change was intended to be an improvement by allowing deletions and additions to the route at any mid point. With your comments in mind, we will look in to adding an option to switch these white dots off and revert to the older method.
By Free Map Tools on 30/03/2016
This tool has been untouched for a few years. And I used it occasionally. Recently it seems a fresh breath was inhaled into this project! Now I think I need another tool because this one is getting unusable. E.g. how do I disable those cool trendy huge white spots? And yes it became slower. If the things just work why touch them?
By User on 28/03/2016
handy wee tool,cheers.
By kris griers on 26/03/2016
Estates that have been built five years ago are still building sites according to your maps , so out of date it is embarrassing to call it modern technology
Super helpfull. Easy to use. Spasibo
By Zenia on 20/03/2016
Hi Joe, we do have an iOS app. Have a look at the Free Map Tools iOS app.
By Free Map Tools on 17/03/2016
its a great site!! wish there would be an app!!
By Joe on 16/03/2016
Hi, the distance is displayed below the map.
By Free Map Tools on 16/03/2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 955 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: