Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two or more points on a map.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Note : The Full Screen option is now on the map itself
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added.
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
Yes, the full screen option is on the map, but you cannot print from it. Please correct this.
By optional on 22nd August 2017
I use this site a lot and it is really good. Only suggestion would be if you could display the distance when you are in the full screen mode. At the moment you have to keep reducing the screen size to see the distance.
By bdh198 on 22nd August 2017
Addition of paddling speed would be nice
By joanne on 21st August 2017
Molto buono se vuoi organizzare un percorso turistico x degli amici.
On 17th August 2017
I think this is really good. Sophie x
On 17th August 2017
The Full Screen option is now on the map itself.
By Free Map Tools on 16th August 2017
Return the full screen option.
By optional on 16th August 2017
full screen option is missing . why?
By gary clark on 16th August 2017
I've only been running for a few months, and now want to start doing intervals. This tool is terrific. Thanks so much for all the hard work in developing this.
By steve smith on 13th August 2017
This is great, thanks
By David on 12th August 2017
Hi, when you say aerial view, what do you mean? Map , satellite or satellite at 45degrees?
By Free Map Tools on 9th August 2017
useful tool but cannot find a way to rotate the aerial view.
can it be done ?
By Christopher lambert on 9th August 2017
Feet have been added.
By Free Map Tools on 4th August 2017
Great Tool, adding feet would make it even better!
By Ted Berger on 1st August 2017
Very useful and easy to use :) Thanks a lot for this great job ;)
On 19th July 2017
Perfect, thank you!
By Jay on 18th July 2017
....not user-friendly IMHO
By terry b on 11th July 2017
By Godfrey Temba on 11th July 2017
The latitude, longitude issue on CSV and XLSX export is now resolved.
By Free Map Tools on 4th July 2017
If you extract the data into an Excel file, longitude and latitude are reversed.
Otherwise, this tool is useful!! Thanks :)
By Aless on 4th July 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1071 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: