Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two points on a map. Start Clicking!
Measure Distance Map
|Total Distance Miles km Nautical Miles Yards Meters|
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Export to kml option
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c)
- Provide elevation data for route
- Provide measurement in feet
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed.
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Previous Comments For This Page
That's a shame - I'll have to look elsewhere or get writing myself... :) Thanks for the prompt reply anyway. Rgds.
By TEP on 30th August 2016
TEP, sorry, this cannot be done. If anyone wants to look/copy/reuse any file hosted on this website or referenced from it they are free to do so, but its not possible to add license information.
By Free Map Tools on 26th August 2016
TEP, this website is a public, free to use site that provides estimates of various measurements taken on maps. It is not do download, copy or use anywhere else except for the website itself.
By Free Map Tools on 26th August 2016
(Addendum to previous message: can you ensure the license information and your name appear at the top of the JS file too - thanks!)
By TEP on 26th August 2016
Hi - what is the license for this software? Is it Freeware/Shareware/GNU Public license? I need to know to ensure I can advise the company I'm doing some work for whether they can use it or not. (Without knowing the license they would have to avoid it).
By TEP on 26th August 2016
Hi, can you confirm what speed you selected for the flight? I believe asking Google to search between airports will bring up the airlines scheduled flight times. This page assumes you are traveling at a constant speed the whole time. With the car this page assumes you travel a straight line and at a constant speed. Google will likely use data of the actual time it takes.
By Free Map Tools on 16th August 2016
I've just measured the distance, between East Midlands airport, England to Palma airport, Spain = YOUR map says 1hour and 6 minutes.
I Google it and use other means of info: it is saying = 2 hours and 31 minutes.
I also checked the time by "fast car" from NYC to DC = 2 hours. if I again; check with others. its more like 24 hours.... You page is way out!!
On 15th August 2016
Hi, swimming has been added
By Free Map Tools on 15th August 2016
Great thanks. How about adding swimming time?
By David on 13th August 2016
By Free Map Tools on 22nd July 2016
Just noticed you have added metres, which is great. Really useful tool which works on iOS as well as desktop browsers
By Mark on 22nd July 2016
Thank you. I use the site for my students house distance from school. Very useful.
By Margie on 18th July 2016
So thankful for this site. Helps us at work to determine distance between resort lodging locations and ski lifts.
By Adri on 16th July 2016
Thank you so much for this service I use it almost daily with work and the fact metres are added is just perfect. Thank you to all involved please keep up the great work!
On 14th July 2016
Kayaking the upper Mississippi where it winds across the flat land, and I have been planning to find the distance of a day trip I plan on taking. 8 miles straight. 10 miles to drive. 17.5 miles following the river. Great work on this application!
By Charlie on 13th July 2016
Travel by kayak would be amazing. Thanks for this useful tool!
By Stacey on 12th July 2016
Very useful and very easy to use. I use this tool quite often, thanks. I agree with previous comment that 4mph is a bit ambitious for many, but it's a good starting point. perhaps if this looked like a drop-down menu, then it would be more obvious that the user could change it?
Please add "Delete individual points by right-clicking" into the How to use list.
By Patjos on 11th July 2016
Mileage isn't working right. London to Nottingham, isn't 13mins in a slow car.
Flight from London to New York, isn't 2hrs.
Something is clearly wrong!
On 9th July 2016
Candy Mtn to Red Mtn and back
By Bill on 8th July 2016
Thanks, this is really useful. It seems that walking is set at 4 kph, but switch to miles, and its 4 mph.That is pretty fast for me and 2.5 mph would be easier!
By Simon on 7th July 2016
Showing the most recent 20 out of 993 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: