Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of finding the distance between two or more points on a map.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 6th Julty 2020 - New option to Export a link to the route. Found inside Export Options section
- 2nd June 2019 - Fixed bug with meters output not working
- 29th May 2019 - Implemented Leaflet Maps
- 20th May 2019 - Fixed bug in IE browser
- 9th May 2019 - Fixed issue with distance not reseting to zero when Clear Map button clicked
- 14th September 2017 - Distance now displayed on map while in full screen mode
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
great for usage for the army
By Ryan on 14th August 2020
Please add boating, mapping, plotting water ways distance.
By Mr Q on 19th July 2020
Hi, you can share the map as follows... with the User Menu at the top right, save the route. Then go to the Load option in the User Menu and click to get a link for your saved route. The link can be shared with others.
By Free Map Tools on 22nd June 2020
Great tool, would love to also have the option to share a planned route drawn out on the map...
On 22nd June 2020
Cool just discovered this tool will share on twitter to my friends. just what I wanted and it was created in 07. Amazing to know someone thought of this too but back in the past
By David on 21st June 2020
Great site,it's just what i needed,walk, finish,figure out how far i walked or vise-versa!
By Steven on 16th June 2020
It would be great to be able to see km (or mile) markers along your route. So for example if you did a 10k run, being able to see where the 5k mark was; or whether a particular hill/other point fell between 2-3k or 3-4k. Thanks!
By NQ on 14th June 2020
Love the site, use it often for walks and runs. Wish the maps had a mode for printing though. At the moment, if you print it takes 2 pages and has a lot of extra images/text.
On 10th June 2020
Please reduce the size of the map pins. They have recently become very large.
By (optional) on 3rd June 2020
By MARK IYON on 22nd May 2020
This tool is amazing! I use this all the time because of it's many features. Thank you for this! One of my favorite sites!
By Dan on 17th May 2020
Absolutely wonderful, thank you so much!!
On 3rd May 2020
I have several different routes I use for my daily walk. This is a great tool for figuring out how long the walks are, especially when they include trails and such. If I had a wish for this program it would be a print tab. It doesn't take long to map out most routes, but with several to remember, a hard copy would be great.
By George on 28th April 2020
Many thanks for the creation of this tool.
By Baff on 22nd April 2020
By Anon on 20th April 2020
Entered the stop points to measure an area, and an ad is blocking the results as the ad is a tall, narrow rectangle and the space for the ad is a short, wide rectangle. I get ads are necessary, but if they cover up tools/data/results, it makes it all worthless.
By W. A. on 20th April 2020
MapMeasurement of Field
By Nakul Chandra Biswas on 9th April 2020
By Syed suhail abbas on 5th April 2020
I like this tool. It doesn't take long to key in waypoints to work out the actual distances you've walked or ran - guy below me is just lazy.
By dfsgds on 27th March 2020
Measuring distances as-the-crow-flies for walking routes in the city is thoroughly useless.
On 27th March 2020
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1218 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)