Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of finding the distance between two or more points on a map.
[11th July 2018] Unfortunately, due to a large price increase in back-end services, we can no longer offer some features on this page.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Note : The Full Screen option is now on the map itself
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 14th September 2017 - Distance now displayed on map while in full screen mode
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
Very useful for planning running routes. Thank you!
On 20th February 2019
From where You got the map source code or satalite
By Ahmed on 1st February 2019
great job very use ful site
By basit sanjrani on 12th January 2019
Using this tool for research purposes in trying to set up a business and what other business are nearby and of what proximity, this tool allows me to do it confidently and accurately so very well. Thank you, please add donate button
By MF on 4th January 2019
I love the way it anticipates where the next point is going to go. Great for getting really accurate distances quickly.
By d1960 on 21st December 2018
I use it each time I'm planning a trek ! Thanks a lot for this tool !
On 16th December 2018
Fantastic tool! Thank you! :)
By A runner without a smartwatch on 14th December 2018
By Billy on 18th November 2018
Very useful tool. I often use it to plan runs or walks.
By L., Germany on 15th November 2018
very useful for calculating walking distances off marked footpaths etc.
By Christopher Noble, Darlington on 14th November 2018
Helpful tool. Thank you to all involved.
On 16th October 2018
What is the distance from point B to point C.
B lies 12000 meter and C lies 10000 meter
On 12th October 2018
Found the tool very Useful for route planning a weekend sailing trip in the Channel.
On 8th October 2018
Great tool...perfect for mapping how far I went in a workout! On land or water :) Thanks!
By Kyle on 5th October 2018
By Darcy on 18th September 2018
Nice tool, it will be great to know depth at each point
By Falilu on 18th September 2018
it doesn't tell me the distance:(
By paige on 16th September 2018
Great tool ! Especially for calculating exact water points %uD83D%uD
By MOROCO on 15th September 2018
Great tool ! Especially for calculating exact water points %uD83D%uDE0A
On 9th September 2018
I like this website. thanks for all the affords
On 7th September 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1142 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: