Measure a Distance
The measure distance tool is a simple way of find the distance between two or more points on a map.
Measure Distance Map
0 1000 MPH
Or choose mode of transport...Units of Time
How to use the Measure Distance Tool
Note : The Full Screen option is now on the map itself
Simply click once on one point, then click again on the second point. The distance should then be displayed. You can click more than two points in order to build up a continuous route.
Use the miles / km / nautical miles / yards switch to measure distances in km or in miles or nautical miles. The Autopan option will move the map as you click the points.
The Search For Location text box allows you to quickly get to an area you wish without spending time zooming and panning to find it. For example if you wish to find the city of Rome in Italy, type "Rome, Italy" and then click Search. The map will then go straight to Rome. Note the "[city][comma][space][county]" format.
Toggle markers will show or hide the markers if they get in the way.
Clear last will remove the last point from the map
Zoom to fit will zoom and pan the map to get the best fit of all your points on as large a zoom as possible.
Clear Map is a reset button that will clear all points and allow you to start measuring a distance again.
You can edit the position of any existing points by dragging the marker (when they are displayed) and dropping the marker in it's new position
You can also adjust the height of the map to have it large, medium or small in size.
You can delete a point by right clicking on the node.
Future Ideas and Improvements
- Auto-reroute for optimum distance (traveling salesman problem)
- Have other speeds like fiber optic cable (~.6 c) and Mach
- Option to add a title to a marker which then appears on mouse over and data export
- 14th September 2017 - Distance now displayed on map while in full screen mode
- 4th August 2017 - Units selector upadted. Feet units added
- 24th July 2017 - Full Screen option moved on to map. Now found at top right corner
- 4th July 2017 - Fixed issue with CSV and XLSX export
- 29th January 2017 - Option to show elevation chart and export CSV file of elevation data along route
- 25th November 2016 - KML export to show pins at each node along the route
- 23rd November 2016 - Added download KML, CSV and XLSX option
- 19th July 2016 - Bug fixes with how the mode of transport and estimated time of travel changes if the units are changed
- 5th July 2016 - Added meters as a unit of distance
- 25th June 2016 - Travel speed units change depending on units of distance
- 20th June 2016 - Fixed issue with days measurement displaying twice the actual value
- 24th March 2016 - Route points can now be added mid-way along. Points can also be deleted by right clicking
- 25th January 2016 - Speed can now be input manually
- 28th December 2015 - Added option to change between minutes, hours and days for the travel time estimate
- 24th June 2014 - Added option Snap To Roads
- 24th March 2014 - Added option Pan to My Location
- 11th January 2012 - Implemented Google Maps API V3. Added Full Screen option
- 12th October 2010 - Markers now show their latitude and longitude when you hover over them
- 15th October 2009 - Added travel time output
- 12th October 2009 - Added terrain map option
- 20th February 2008 - Revamp of design now with draggable markers
- 1st November 2007 - Added quick find text box
- 19th October 2007 - Yards now added as a unit of measurement
- 9th October 2007 - Nautical Miles added as unit of measurement
- 5th September 2007 - Descriptive Text Updated
- 28th June 2007 - Page Created
Comments For This Page
An excellent tool. The ability to label points, then export the map showing labels. Distance from last named point and total distance so far could be displayed on the label as the cursor passes over it. To have the list of point labels, segment distances and distance so far in an exportable spreadsheet would be a useful bonus. At some point, the possibility of drawing the cursor round bends and kinks in a footpath or road as an alternative to have to insert multiple additional points could be a wish list feature too. Great work so far!
On 8th February 2018
Works good. Very nice. Thanks
On 4th February 2018
Thank you very much for dev this tool!!! Just started running and this is invaluable!!!
By Wolfy911 on 7th December 2017
Thanks for this. Went looking for the shortest path for a North Korean missile to DC. I'm in Canada and wanted to know where one could possibly fly overhead. I figured finding such information would be easy.
By Scott on 30th November 2017
Hi, can you explain a bit more about how it gets stuck? We are keen to make improvements...
By Free Map Tools on 29th November 2017
It get's stuck allot and it's really frustrating. You could fix that and it would make it allot better...
On 27th November 2017
Hi Paul, which format do you require? What happens when you try the Export option?
By Free Map Tools on 25th October 2017
I am struggling to export the map.
Any help would be appreciated.
By Paul on 24th October 2017
I wish I could export the 'Elevation Profile' chart to Excel
On 16th October 2017
By Free Map Tools on 7th October 2017
Use this all the time, brilliant site!
By kate on 7th October 2017
What a fantastic facility! Wanted to calculate the distance of a running route and found this fabulous site via an online search. Will certainly use it again. Thank you.
By Alistair on 1st October 2017
Yes it works ok if I place a marker on the map before I go to full screen. Thank you for the help.
By Chris on 29th September 2017
Chris, I see what you mean. It went for a trip to the ocean if there were no markers on the map. It should now stay put if this is the case.
By Free Map Tools on 28th September 2017
USED THIS TO MEASURE WALKING DISTANCES BUT NOW WHEN I GO TO FULL SCREEN I END UP IN SOME OCEAN! PLEASE CAN YOU CORRECT
By Chris on 27th September 2017
Share the Map you make by...
Open User Menu (top right of screen)
Click Save Route
Give it a name
Go back to User Menu, Load Route, click on the link icon
By Free Map Tools on 21st September 2017
How can I share the maps I make?
On 20th September 2017
J Smith, what was the name of the place in England you typed in?
By Free Map Tools on 19th September 2017
Map doesn't seem to be working. Type in name of a place in England and end up in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. Shame as this is the best map distance measurer I have used so far!
By J Smith on 18th September 2017
bdh198, the distance is now displayed on the map while in full screen mode.
By Free Map Tools on 14th September 2017
Showing the most recent 20 out of 1095 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: