Distance Between UK Postcodes
This tool can be used to find the distance between postcodes in the UK. Type in the two postcodes and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two UK Postcodes
Switch to Full Screen
Use the text box below to input bulk postcodes and find the 'as the crow flies' distances between them. There is a limit of 200 pairs at a time. Add them in the format postcode1,postcode2 per line. For Example TR20 8QJ,KY5 0AT. Once processing is complete, the distance is appended as a 3rd column on the CSV list. You can toggle the units (miles/km) using the switch above.
If any postcodes are not found, the tool will output the distance as NF (1st PC NF) or NF (2nd PC NF) to indicate it was the first or second postcode at fault
How to Use Postcode Tool
Type in the first and second postcode then click the Show button. The map will then display the location of the two postcodes and also show the routes for:
- As the crow flies - the straight distance between the points
- By land transport - by car and/or boat
You will also see the distance displayed below the map for the distance as the crow flies and also by land transport. You can then type in more postcodes and click the show button to see more distances.
Note : This Postcode distance finder will measure the distance between full UK Postcodes.
Format of Outward Code / Out Code
Use the format "A(A)0(0)(A)", where:
- A is a character
- 0 is a digit
- () means optional
Format of Full UK Postcode
Use the format "A(A)0(0)(A)_0AA", where:
- A is a character
- 0 is a digit
- () means optional
- _ is a space
So any input of 2,3 or 4 characters is assumed to be an Out Code format and anything longer than 4 characters is assumed to be a full UK postcode.
Uses of This Postcode Tool
This tool has a wide range of possible uses from delivery estimation to point to point measurement. If you know of a useful application of this tool, let us know.
Problems or Suggestions
If you notice any errors or have suggestions for further development, then please contact freemaptools.
- Search for Outcode (first part) as well as full postcodes
- 8th February 2021 : Bug fix - Bulk upload > An identical pair of postcodes caused the first instance to have the distance appended multiple times
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix - start/end of driving route was the wrong way round
- 27th September 2018 : Bug fix - Bulk upload now copes with invalid postcodes better. That row fails, but the next rows still process
- 26th September 2018 : Bug fix
- 25th September 2018 : Bug fix
- 24th September 2018 : Bug fixed on Bulk Processing
- 24th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 18th September 2018 - Changed back end service provider. Bug fixed a 'not found' postcode in the right hand textbox displayed an error (wrongly) that it couldn't find the first postcode
- 1st August 2018 - Improvement to handling of postcodes that are not found
- 9th May 2016 - Small update to Bulk Processing - prevent issue resulting from new line at end of data
- 21st April 2016 - New Bulk Processing function to process postcode distances in bulk
- 8th January 2015 - New function that generates link to share the result
- 5th November 2013 - Implemented Google Maps API V3 including new google.maps.DirectionsService
- 20th September 2011 - Resolved issue where a postcode not found in the right hand textbox would be reported as not finding the value of the left hand textbox
- 9th October 2008 - Resolved issue when Show button is clicked multiple times and distance keeps changing. Improved automatic zoom function
- 23rd December 2007 - Added enter to submit function
- 22nd December 2007 - Improvements to back end storage system and some of the text on this page
- 16th December 2007 - Version 1 of functional system completed
- 15th December 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
Hi, i use this tool daily it has transformed my life
By Shaun on 21st September 2022
Hi, great tool. Is it possible to enable bulk processing of distance by road transport - that would be SO useful, Thanks
By Stephen on 6th September 2022
This has been life changing, thank you for creating this I owe you my life
By Georgina on 31st August 2022
Hi fabulous tool :)
By Geoffrey on 31st August 2022
Do you have API of this?
By Demo on 13th August 2022
Very nice tool, but why the hell does Facebook need to know about any potential journeys that you might be planning?
By Anthony Faulkner on 18th July 2022
Hi Steve, have a look at Radius From UK Postcode.
By Free Map Tools on 21st May 2022
Hi, Would be good if we could pick a postcode and ask for all other post codes within a certain distance (as crow flies)?
By Steve Bright on 21st May 2022
Excellent tool for calculating millage when choosing to visit different locations in priority & or crossing over to each location individually ... all in the same run out.
By Chris O'Connor ESAM ( East S on 6th April 2022
The bulk processing stays in the text box. The distances are simply appended to what you type in. You can then copy and paste the data out.
By Free Map Tools on 11th March 2022
Hi - where is the bulk data saved to once completed? I have run but no additional fields or obvious file to download - thank you.
By paul on 11th March 2022
Gaz, sorry that's not possible.
By Free Map Tools on 17th February 2022
Could you enable "Distance by Land Transport" for the Bulk processing please?
By Gaz on 17th February 2022
I'd like to be able to bulk process the road route distance for multiple postcodes please. Is this possible?
By Dan on 21st January 2022
The trick with this tool is to copy and paste the results from the bulk tool into an excel column, then copy that data and waste as a table (with comma separators) into a word table. This then creates a column with just the distance data, which can then be pasted back into the excel sheet as a single column of distances.
By Dave on 22nd December 2021
Would it be possible to be able to bulk upload 1,000 pairs at a time?
On 1st November 2021
Is it possible to export the list of 200 into 3 seperate columns into excel? I only need the mileage as the postcodes are already in the sheet. It's a pain to have to manually delete the postcodes from every line when I have over 800 I need to process. Let me know! Thank you.
By Ollie on 7th October 2021
Hi John, please Get in Contact to discuss.
By Free Map Tools on 3rd September 2021
Do you have an option for bulk processing to show the road distance rather than "as the crow flies"?
By John Davies on 3rd September 2021
Distance by land transport should be working again.
By Free Map Tools on 7th July 2021
Showing the most recent 20 out of 787 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)