Distance Between UK Postcodes
This tool can be used to find the distance between postcodes in the UK. Type in the two postcodes and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two UK Postcodes
Switch to Full Screen
Use the text box below to input bulk postcodes and find the 'as the crow flies' distances between them. There is a limit of 200 pairs at a time. Add them in the format postcode1,postcode2 per line. Once processing is complete, the distance is appended as a 3rd column on the CSV list. You can toggle the units (miles/km) using the switch above.
If any postcodes are not found, the tool will output the distance as NF (1st PC NF) or NF (2nd PC NF) to indicate it was the first or second postcode at fault
How to Use Postcode Tool
Type in the first and second postcode then click the Show button. The map will then display the location of the two postcodes and also show the routes for:
- As the crow flies - the straight distance between the points
- By land transport - by car and/or boat
You will also see the distance displayed below the map for the distance as the crow flies and also by land transport. You can then type in more postcodes and click the show button to see more distances.
Note : This Postcode distance finder will measure the distance between full UK Postcodes.
Format of Outward Code / Out Code
Use the format "A(A)0(0)(A)", where:
- A is a character
- 0 is a digit
- () means optional
Format of Full UK Postcode
Use the format "A(A)0(0)(A)_0AA", where:
- A is a character
- 0 is a digit
- () means optional
- _ is a space
So any input of 2,3 or 4 characters is assumed to be an Out Code format and anything longer than 4 characters is assumed to be a full UK postcode.
Uses of This Postcode Tool
This tool has a wide range of possible uses from delivery estimation to point to point measurement. If you know of a useful application of this tool, let us know.
Problems or Suggestions
If you notice any errors or have suggestions for further development, then please contact freemaptools.
- Search for Outcode (first part) as well as full postcodes
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix - start/end of driving route was the wrong way round
- 27th September 2018 : Bug fix - Bulk upload now copes with invalid postcodes better. That row fails, but the next rows still process
- 26th September 2018 : Bug fix
- 25th September 2018 : Bug fix
- 24th September 2018 : Bug fixed on Bulk Processing
- 24th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 18th September 2018 - Changed back end service provider. Bug fixed a 'not found' postcode in the right hand textbox displayed an error (wrongly) that it couldn't find the first postcode
- 1st August 2018 - Improvement to handling of postcodes that are not found
- 9th May 2016 - Small update to Bulk Processing - prevent issue resulting from new line at end of data
- 21st April 2016 - New Bulk Processing function to process postcode distances in bulk
- 8th January 2015 - New function that generates link to share the result
- 5th November 2013 - Implemented Google Maps API V3 including new google.maps.DirectionsService
- 20th September 2011 - Resolved issue where a postcode not found in the right hand textbox would be reported as not finding the value of the left hand textbox
- 9th October 2008 - Resolved issue when Show button is clicked multiple times and distance keeps changing. Improved automatic zoom function
- 23rd December 2007 - Added enter to submit function
- 22nd December 2007 - Improvements to back end storage system and some of the text on this page
- 16th December 2007 - Version 1 of functional system completed
- 15th December 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
This is a great tool to help me calculate my mileage thank you so much for this service !
By Dor on 19th January 2020
be handy to deliver rough distances for postcodes areas, i.e. just the first bit of the postcode.
By bollos on 7th January 2020
Any chance of adding "by land transport" to the bulk service alongside "as the crow flies"?
By Mark on 10th December 2019
Depends on if the Crow is sober and on a direct mission without stopping at relatives...
By Bob on 28th November 2019
Is there an option to get bulk distances by Land transport and not just as the crow flies?
By Stephen on 15th October 2019
How do I output a bulk run?
On 9th October 2019
Thought I'd found just what I needed - but the distances are so far out its pointless in using as it defaults to "crow flies"
By Stuart Harrison on 2nd August 2019
Did you have a space after the comma? It expects no space
By Free Map Tools on 2nd August 2019
I entered the same Postcode 1 and postcode 2 into Options and Bulk Processing. Options was able to produce a result but Bulk Processing states NF (2nd PC NF)
On 30th July 2019
I initiated a Smart Working scheme at my company and this tool has helped me to measure benefits of saving travel time. The bulk function is brilliant !
By Paul on 13th July 2019
Please use Measure Distance on a Map.
By Free Map Tools on 13th June 2019
Postcode does not land on my house. need the ability to move the marker
On 13th June 2019
Hi Rob, no it expects full postcodes only.
By Free Map Tools on 2nd June 2019
Trying to get an estimate of distance using postcode outcode only, is this not possible?
By Rob on 31st May 2019
By sanja on 17th May 2019
Love this tool, easy to use, understand and it WORKS
By Jane Edgar on 1st May 2019
When map enlarged how can you print out a specific area of it. I have a snipping tool but the toolbar on which it is on disappears when map opened in full.
By Cathy on 30th April 2019
Do you have this in an excel Format so i could introduce it to a pricing document
By AL C on 26th February 2019
CLEVER KIT YOU HAVE THERE EXACTLY CORRECT.
By TOM on 24th February 2019
By CR on 1st February 2019
Showing the most recent 20 out of 735 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)