Distance Between UK Postcodes
This tool can be used to find the distance between postcodes in the UK. Type in the two postcodes and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two UK Postcodes
Switch to Full Screen
Use the text box below to input bulk postcodes and find the 'as the crow flies' distances between them. There is a limit of 200 pairs at a time. Add them in the format postcode1,postcode2 per line. Once processing is complete, the distance is appended as a 3rd column on the CSV list. You can toggle the units (miles/km) using the switch above.
If any postcodes are not found, the tool will output the distance as NF (1st PC NF) or NF (2nd PC NF) to indicate it was the first or second postcode at fault
How to Use Postcode Tool
Type in the first and second postcode then click the Show button. The map will then display the location of the two postcodes and also show the routes for:
- As the crow flies - the straight distance between the points
- By land transport - by car and/or boat
You will also see the distance displayed below the map for the distance as the crow flies and also by land transport. You can then type in more postcodes and click the show button to see more distances.
Note : This Postcode distance finder will measure the distance between full UK Postcodes.
Format of Outward Code / Out Code
Use the format "A(A)0(0)(A)", where:
- A is a character
- 0 is a digit
- () means optional
Format of Full UK Postcode
Use the format "A(A)0(0)(A)_0AA", where:
- A is a character
- 0 is a digit
- () means optional
- _ is a space
So any input of 2,3 or 4 characters is assumed to be an Out Code format and anything longer than 4 characters is assumed to be a full UK postcode.
Uses of This Postcode Tool
This tool has a wide range of possible uses from delivery estimation to point to point measurement. If you know of a useful application of this tool, let us know.
Problems or Suggestions
If you notice any errors or have suggestions for further development, then please contact freemaptools.
- Search for Outcode (first part) as well as full postcodes
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix - start/end of driving route was the wrong way round
- 27th September 2018 : Bug fix - Bulk upload now copes with invalid postcodes better. That row fails, but the next rows still process
- 26th September 2018 : Bug fix
- 25th September 2018 : Bug fix
- 24th September 2018 : Bug fixed on Bulk Processing
- 24th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 18th September 2018 - Changed back end service provider. Bug fixed a 'not found' postcode in the right hand textbox displayed an error (wrongly) that it couldn't find the first postcode
- 1st August 2018 - Improvement to handling of postcodes that are not found
- 9th May 2016 - Small update to Bulk Processing - prevent issue resulting from new line at end of data
- 21st April 2016 - New Bulk Processing function to process postcode distances in bulk
- 8th January 2015 - New function that generates link to share the result
- 5th November 2013 - Implemented Google Maps API V3 including new google.maps.DirectionsService
- 20th September 2011 - Resolved issue where a postcode not found in the right hand textbox would be reported as not finding the value of the left hand textbox
- 9th October 2008 - Resolved issue when Show button is clicked multiple times and distance keeps changing. Improved automatic zoom function
- 23rd December 2007 - Added enter to submit function
- 22nd December 2007 - Improvements to back end storage system and some of the text on this page
- 16th December 2007 - Version 1 of functional system completed
- 15th December 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
Do you have this in an excel Format so i could introduce it to a pricing document
By AL C on 26th February 2019
CLEVER KIT YOU HAVE THERE EXACTLY CORRECT.
By TOM on 24th February 2019
By CR on 1st February 2019
Hi, what method are you using to calculate as the crow flies? I have tried to replicate this value using Pythagoras Theorem and HaversineCircle, but neither match.
By Haversine Pythagoras on 6th January 2019
Hi, it adds another column (comma separated value) on to the list. So if you input [TD1 3HX,B50 4FQ] it will display [TD1 3HX,B50 4FQ,240.868]
By Free Map Tools on 18th December 2018
Once the bulk postcode has completed how do I access the distances?
On 18th December 2018
Wink, please have a look at Distance Between Netherlands Postcodes.
By Free Map Tools on 16th December 2018
this is a very good information
On 3rd December 2018
Hi Tim, sorry, this is not possible
By Free Map Tools on 21st November 2018
Hi there, Thanks for creating this! Is there a way to bulk process the road distances rather than crow flies distances? Tim
On 19th November 2018
Hi, Wondering if you could make this tool available for the dutch postcodes (4digits) as well?
By wink on 14th November 2018
To confirm the format expected, for example:
M33 7XQ,SA62 5AY
M41 5PL,NG17 1NS
By Free Map Tools on 8th November 2018
If you paste the postcodes leave spaces in comma separated - works fine
Great bit of coding - thanks
By JB on 8th November 2018
Hi Matt, thanks for the feedback. Do any 2nd postcodes for for you? What is the postcode that doesn't work? What happens if you swap the first and second about?
By Free Map Tools on 6th November 2018
Hi, the bulk processing doesn't seem to be working? Keep getting "NF (2nd PC NF)" even though it is a valid postcode and works fine in the individual search. Using IE. Thanks.
By Matt on 6th November 2018
Hi Andy, the data is in CSV format on the page, but not saved to a file. You will need to copy and paste it in to your own file.
By Free Map Tools on 1st November 2018
just added 200 pairs of post codes, processing was complete but i cannot find the CSV file with the distance? thanks
By Andy on 31st October 2018
Hi John, we will investigate however sourcing this data has been an issue in the past.
By Free Map Tools on 18th October 2018
Would it be possible to incorporate the Crown Dependencies in the matrix? (GY,JE and I
By John Chadwick on 18th October 2018
Can u make the Bulk Processing show Distance by Land Transport
By Mark W on 10th October 2018
Showing the most recent 20 out of 718 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think: