Distance Between UK Postcodes
This tool can be used to find the distance between postcodes in the UK. Type in the two postcodes and click the Show button.
Map Showing the Distance Between Two UK Postcodes
Switch to Full Screen
Use the text box below to input bulk postcodes and find the 'as the crow flies' distances between them. There is a limit of 200 pairs at a time. Add them in the format postcode1,postcode2 per line. For Example TR20 8QJ,KY5 0AT. Once processing is complete, the distance is appended as a 3rd column on the CSV list. You can toggle the units (miles/km) using the switch above.
If any postcodes are not found, the tool will output the distance as NF (1st PC NF) or NF (2nd PC NF) to indicate it was the first or second postcode at fault
How to Use Postcode Tool
Type in the first and second postcode then click the Show button. The map will then display the location of the two postcodes and also show the routes for:
- As the crow flies - the straight distance between the points
- By land transport - by car and/or boat
You will also see the distance displayed below the map for the distance as the crow flies and also by land transport. You can then type in more postcodes and click the show button to see more distances.
Note : This Postcode distance finder will measure the distance between full UK Postcodes.
Format of Outward Code / Out Code
Use the format "A(A)0(0)(A)", where:
- A is a character
- 0 is a digit
- () means optional
Format of Full UK Postcode
Use the format "A(A)0(0)(A)_0AA", where:
- A is a character
- 0 is a digit
- () means optional
- _ is a space
So any input of 2,3 or 4 characters is assumed to be an Out Code format and anything longer than 4 characters is assumed to be a full UK postcode.
Uses of This Postcode Tool
This tool has a wide range of possible uses from delivery estimation to point to point measurement. If you know of a useful application of this tool, let us know.
Problems or Suggestions
If you notice any errors or have suggestions for further development, then please contact freemaptools.
- Search for Outcode (first part) as well as full postcodes
- 8th February 2021 : Bug fix - Bulk upload > An identical pair of postcodes caused the first instance to have the distance appended multiple times
- 30th September 2018 : Bug fix - start/end of driving route was the wrong way round
- 27th September 2018 : Bug fix - Bulk upload now copes with invalid postcodes better. That row fails, but the next rows still process
- 26th September 2018 : Bug fix
- 25th September 2018 : Bug fix
- 24th September 2018 : Bug fixed on Bulk Processing
- 24th September 2018 : Switched to Leaflet maps
- 18th September 2018 - Changed back end service provider. Bug fixed a 'not found' postcode in the right hand textbox displayed an error (wrongly) that it couldn't find the first postcode
- 1st August 2018 - Improvement to handling of postcodes that are not found
- 9th May 2016 - Small update to Bulk Processing - prevent issue resulting from new line at end of data
- 21st April 2016 - New Bulk Processing function to process postcode distances in bulk
- 8th January 2015 - New function that generates link to share the result
- 5th November 2013 - Implemented Google Maps API V3 including new google.maps.DirectionsService
- 20th September 2011 - Resolved issue where a postcode not found in the right hand textbox would be reported as not finding the value of the left hand textbox
- 9th October 2008 - Resolved issue when Show button is clicked multiple times and distance keeps changing. Improved automatic zoom function
- 23rd December 2007 - Added enter to submit function
- 22nd December 2007 - Improvements to back end storage system and some of the text on this page
- 16th December 2007 - Version 1 of functional system completed
- 15th December 2007 - Page created
Comments For This Page
I'd like to be able to bulk process the road route distance for multiple postcodes please. Is this possible?
By Dan on 21st January 2022
The trick with this tool is to copy and paste the results from the bulk tool into an excel column, then copy that data and waste as a table (with comma separators) into a word table. This then creates a column with just the distance data, which can then be pasted back into the excel sheet as a single column of distances.
By Dave on 22nd December 2021
Would it be possible to be able to bulk upload 1,000 pairs at a time?
On 1st November 2021
Is it possible to export the list of 200 into 3 seperate columns into excel? I only need the mileage as the postcodes are already in the sheet. It's a pain to have to manually delete the postcodes from every line when I have over 800 I need to process. Let me know! Thank you.
By Ollie on 7th October 2021
Hi John, please Get in Contact to discuss.
By Free Map Tools on 3rd September 2021
Do you have an option for bulk processing to show the road distance rather than "as the crow flies"?
By John Davies on 3rd September 2021
Distance by land transport should be working again.
By Free Map Tools on 7th July 2021
Very useful website but the distance by land transport doesn't appear to be working recently.
On 7th July 2021
By JBM on 28th June 2021
Steve A, not on the website. Please get in contact to discuss offline commercial options.
By Free Map Tools on 30th January 2021
Do you have a facility for file uploads of much bigger quantities than 200 at a time?
By Steve A on 29th January 2021
Sorry, thats not possible.
By Free Map Tools on 29th December 2020
Is there a way of searching just the postcode sector instead of requiring the full postcode, eg. "SW1A 2" instead of "SW1A 2AA"
On 29th December 2020
Ok. thank you for your reply! it is very useful tool. :)
On 24th December 2020
Hi Julie, sorry that's not possible.
By Free Map Tools on 23rd December 2020
Hi, this is such a useful tool. Thank you. Is there a way to do bulk processing to get Land transport and not 'as crow flies', please?
By Julie on 22nd December 2020
Someone below struggling with formatting for bulk. If you have the 2 sets in Excel in column A and B, then in C1 add =A1&","&B1 then fill down. Copy column C into website. All works smoothly for me.
By Helpful on 4th December 2020
Unfathomable formatting of postcodes for batch processing - going to see if I can find another tool to do this, I've run out of combinations to reformat just one line
On 4th November 2020
Great system, could you look at increasing the number of items that can be uploaded from 200 to 1000
On 26th October 2020
Hi, this shows different results compared to google maps for crow flies distance (using measure distance option). I am confused which one is accurate, google map or this one. Any idea why it would show different results
On 25th August 2020
Showing the most recent 20 out of 774 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)