Find Population on Map
Map of the world where you define an area then find out the estimated population inside that area. You can use this tool to find the population inside a radius of any location in the world or define a custom area and find the population in the area.
Population Inside a Area Search Map
InputAdd Radius manually : Radius km OR miles Location :
- Search, zoom and pan the map to find the desired location
- Toggle the Polygon or Radius above the map to start drawing a polygon or a radius circle
- Click on the map to define the outside edge of the polygon. You can move the edges after it has been drawn. You can delete an edge by right clicking
- Once the area is defined, click the [Find Population] button to find the population inside
- After a delay, the estimated population is returned and displayed below the map
- Click the [Full Screen] icon on the map to view the map in full screen
- Click the [Zoom To Fit] button to zoom your map in/out on the area drawn
- Click the [Reset Map] button to start again
Example Population Estimate
Screenshot of radius population estimate for Dublin, Republic or Ireland
- 2nd October 2019 : Version 3.1 - Adding nodes to polygon not longer causes map to re-zoom
- 15th October 2018 : Version 3.0 - Converted to Leaflet maps
- 22nd March 2015 : Version 2.3 - Radius can now be drawn with a manual radius and location
- 15th January 2015 : Version 2.2 - Now displays circle radius in miles as well as km
- 8th November 2014 : Version 2.1 - Added Zoom to Fit button
- 15th July 2014 : Version 2 - Added radius circle search for population
- 15th July 2014 : Version 1.1 - Polygon Search now works clockwise and anticlockwise
- 28th June 2014 : Version 1 - Initial Version. Polygon Search
Comments For This Page
I agree with all previous comments, needs some HEAVY updating.
On 11th November 2020
according to this, the combined population of the Chicago and Milwaukee metros is less than 100k
By doug on 9th November 2020
Can you make it able to calculate smaller areas, I want to see the population of small towns and small neighborhoods, not just this humongous area.
By Not Your Dad on 26th October 2020
The population data for Canada (at least the Toronto area) seems to be from the 2001 census. Perhaps it would be possible to get more up to date data. The most recent census data for Canada is 2016
On 21st October 2020
Not working at all, radii ranging from 50 to 200 km give the same estimate.
On 10th September 2020
This tool gives wrong estimates. In addition, UI could be smarter and more intuitive.
On 6th August 2020
Fantastic Tool. Some more requests, if you're looking to continue improving:
- Ability to remove most recent area (to avoid having to start over), and then ability to remove area placed before that, and so on (kind of an "undo last change" button)
- Ability to change color and transparency of shapes (and individual control would be the holy grail, to have multiple formats on same map)
- Ability to grab and "slide" shapes to see how population changes as the border changes (to find the exact ideal location to get the most population within a radius)
- Quick way to show amount of overlapping population for two shapes that overlap each other
By Taylor Morris on 15th July 2020
this tool is tricking you and you can't even get the right population
By Leo Tu on 17th June 2020
Clockwise people, clockwise.
By hehehe on 9th June 2020
Would be great if you could delete a circle in case an error is made.
On 4th June 2020
Can I do this by lat and long?
By Founts on 23rd May 2020
The estimates for some areas are way lower than they should be. (Saudi Arabia, China)
By Lucas on 1st May 2020
you have to do it clockwise like one of the people said
By TimeToGoAway on 26th February 2020
I think this is based on some average for the area, and it's not based on anything more than that, so for very small specific areas it isn't very good
By Pete Z on 18th February 2020
Validated the results with Environics and Census data. GREAT TOOL! Thank you so much.
By The Advocate on 30th January 2020
By OhYeah on 18th January 2020
I keep getting nonsensically low population numbers for any area I select, even with larger cities and towns. Not sure if this was a recent issue but I don't really remember this site giving me lowball numbers in the past
On 9th January 2020
i want a 3 mile radius of the postcode i have inputted. why dont this work
By lk on 8th January 2020
This site is horrible!!
On 16th December 2019
Its broken. I tried to map Moscow aglomtration, ant it shows same result fo 10 km and 1000 km sircles.
By Anastasiia on 10th December 2019
Showing the most recent 20 out of 166 comments. Click to see all the comments.
Add your own comment below and let others know what you think:
Your Name (optional)